I need a new catfish rig, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by vandellchuck, Jul 22, 2007.

1. vandellchuck

vandellchuck New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well i think its time to get me a new rod &reel combo. First i catch all sizes of cats, between 1 and 5 #, and im starting to step up to the bigger ones around 10 # and hopefully bigger. im looking for a casting rod and reel, that is a moderate price. any suggestions?

2. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Howdy Chuck,

If you've got a WalMart in your area you might check out their sporting goods dept. They offer a combo in some of their stores that's a Abu-Garcia Ambassadeur 6000 mounted on a Berkley Lightning Rod 7' Med Heavy action for $69.?? Pretty decent setup.

Dave

3. vandellchuck

vandellchuck New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Il have to go check that out. can it handle the big ones pretty good too?

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, the 6000s are good reels. I have 5 and have caught blues up to 43# in decent current with them on the MO river. I've had some of them for almost 3 years now and they're holding up well, and I'm not a guy who's easy on equipment. I tear them down once a year, clean them up, and then I use and abuse them a LOT during the summer. The 5000s are good reels as well, main difference between them and the 6000s is the amount of line they hold, lack of a clicker, and about $10.

Good Luck!

Branden

5. philly'swife

philly'swife New Member

State:
    Phila. Pennsylvania
    My husband uses Garcia reels so I think they are good:wink:.

6. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I think you'll do alright with em.

Dave

7. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    The Berkley Lightning Rod is pretty good. I had it. The rod broke on me cause i was careless but the reel is still going strong after 3 years

8. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Like stolib said, the 6000s are good reels. I don't think you can go wrong with em. I put one of my 6000s on an Ugly Stik Catfish rod and like it better than the Berkley Lightning Rod so you might consider that combination. The Berkley is a pretty good rod all in all but I like the Ugly Stik better. I'll probably put an old spincast reel on the Berkley for a bait catcher.

9. D-MO

D-MO New Member

State:
    Southeast Missouri
    If you wanna go the lower cost route, Wal-mart has a good starter combo. It's an 808 Boss Hawg Combo made by zebco. I believe it's a 7 footer with Medium heavy action and an zebco 808 with 20lb. test pre-spooled. I haven't had any problems with mine yet and it can cast a pretty good distance.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I also would remend the Garcias I have one its a good reel.

11. Missouribreaks

Missouribreaks New Member

State:
    missouri
    check out the baitcasters on ebay. some one out of Oklahoma is selling a bunch of used ones for a charity. pretty good descriptions on use and problems, if any.

12. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    A ABU 6500 is priced comparitively in some sporting goods stores and holds a litlle more line. I opt for an ugly stick 7' mh action.

13. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    cabelas sells a zebco rhino baitcasting combowith a heavy action rod. i would not reccomend a spincaster though becus they will not stand up to a ton of abuse-but their good for cats under 10 poundsif you dont live near cabelas you could order one from the internet

14. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Cody is correct about looking over Cabela's "Combinations". You can also check Bass Pro Shops or Catfish Connection too. They are both on the Internet. w3.bassproshops.com and w3.catfishconnection.com.
    However, while I respect his opinion, I must disagree with Brother Cody on his assessment of the Spinning Reels available today!
    I have a Penn 9500SS and a Fin-Nor OS 95, both on compatible rods with one being a custom made rod, that I will put up against any catfish that inhales my bait no matter how big it is and this does include the 125#+ sizes too. In fact, that is specifically what sized critter I am hoping to get, and that I am going after, when I go fishing!:big_smile:
    But in all fairness, when it comes to selecting fishing gear, I feel that it is a PERSONAL CHOICE based on an informed decision made after much research and investigation into what is available within the reaches of your budget and what appeals to you personally.
    Hope this helps you out a bit.
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

15. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i have a eagle claw{the beast}on a 10 foot diawa beef stick and it works great....the whole hook-up only costed $58.00