I need a lot of help on catching channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by whiskerchaser, Jul 27, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Guys I have been to this big lake that is prolly oh i dont know but its big it has some weeds on the shoreline that are more like twigs and the water is stained. its supposedly stocked with channel catfish, bluegills, crappie, and bass but i cant seem to catch anything. not even perch which are also in there. I need some tips to catch the channel cats I have tried fresh cut bait that was iced from another lake the cut bait was perch, bluegill and trout. Ive tried worms, chicken liver, catfish charlies stinkbait, catfish dynamite stink bait. I cant get any minnows so i cant use them. I have used wet catfood and dry dog food to chum and throw in that spot but I just cant catch any fish its really frustrating and i think im gonna quit. its a great sport but i havent caught a catfish in about 1 year now and that one catfish was from a lake nearly 200 miles away I seriously need help guys my mom is getting tired of driving 76 miles round trip to the catfish lake. Please guys Im looking for help on the boc. I dont know if i should quit i dont wanna but i might have to. I will still visit the boc and post but o i dont know.:angry: :sad2:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

whats the name of the lake you fish? have you tried different parts of the lake? different times? fishing under a bobber to suspend your bait?

3. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    The name of the lake is stubblefield lake just outside of maxwell, I havent tried other parts cuz their is only the damn and one spot of bank and we fish the bank but the damn is really steep its like a / seriously its just like that. and my mom is with me and her knees are bad so she cant climb it there is the whole other side of the lake but u cant get to it since there is no road. I dont know how to use slip floats lol could u tell me how and what they look like? thanks.
    O and I have tried early morning like 4am to 10am and evening like 6pm to 3am.

4. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    look in the BOC libary and find Tea's way of curing livers...tried that and cought a whole mess of channels

5. STEVECAT

STEVECAT New Member

State:
    Huron Oh
    Id try bass minnows on a slip bobber ,try different depths all around the lake
    and keep an eye out in the eve. for signs of feeding near the top.
    most pond and lake channel are suckers for minnows.

6. CFH

CFH New Member

State:
    Alabama
    James, does anyone else fish there ? If so ask for some tips. Most fishermen will share info with you. You said you have fished different times of the day,if you haven't seen anyone else there's a good reason.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

James, a slip bobber is easy to use you put it on your line before you add anything else then add te rest of your rig. after that you put a stop on your main line which is a piece of fishing string tied on with a special knot. are they sell them already tied and you put that on your line before the bobber. then to adjust the depth you just slide the stop closer to your reel for deeper are closer to your bait for shallower. if the water is not real deep you can use a regular bobber for the same thing. I hope there are a couple of memebers close to where you fish that could help you out with more places to fish are different waters closer to your home. good luck.

8. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    as i said I can not get a hold of minnows to fish with they dont sell them and there is no creek or pond or anywater near me that has large enough minnows to stay on a hook and I have seen about oh about 20 different anglers there but I ask them all if they caught any and they say no. so i dont know there is that lake and 2 more. Lake 13 always has a lot of people there but most are bass fishing or trout fishing so i dont know.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would also like to shake your mom's hand for carring you that far to fish it takes a special person to do that man are woman and you are a lucky guy to have such a good mother.

10. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I cant get ahold of any minnows there is no body of water near me that has large enough minnows to stick on a hook and I have seen other people there but they all say they arent catching anything so i dont know there are 2 other lakes and one is lake 13 that lake always has people fishing it but most are trout or bass fishermen.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

here's a few pics of slip bobber's and stops

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the third pic is a stop you slide your line through the black plastic part and then slid the string off of the black plastic onto your line and throw away the black plastic. I hope this helps some.

12. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    First of all, Have you tryed any float/bobber at all?

Have you covered a wide range of depths with it if you have? Try casting it out 1 foot below the bobber. then 2, then ...3 lol. Thats about as far down as I will float anything below a bobber.

Next take and tie your bait rig with a wieght on the bottom, and a hook 1 foot up from it on a 6-9inch leader, and then another hook another foot up from that on a 6 to 9 inch leader. put your bait on, I would use chicken liver's soaked in garlic and vanilla extract or shrimp. Cast it out, wait 15 miniuts, pull the bait in 5 to 10 feet, wait, repeat, keep doing this till your bait is litterally right at the bank. The 2 10lb plus channels I caught last weekend where 3 feet from the shore, in about 2 and a half feet of water.

You said you are chumming with dog food and cat kibble thats great but only real effective from the bank if you can do it hours in advance IMHO. If your not doing that then switch to something new for chum, something stinky like soured grain with some blood in it for effect(check library)

What time are you fishing? If your fishing at night with no luck, go early in the morning. if your fishing at noon on a very hot day ..you have to fish deeper. Are you fishing structure of some sort? Try the weeds you said that are in the pond in the early morning or late evening. Alot of channels feed in vegetation at night around here. Catfish generally eat at NIGHT. I catch most of our cats in still or slowmoveing water at 8-10 at night around here. in Moveing water I can get a few sporadic bites all day, it stays cooler and more oxegenated easyier through the summer months.

You said you can't get baitfish, can you get crayfish? if so try them. if not try to find some Magic Kat Shad or Grasshopper doughbait from Walmart or Academy. or even better try berkley powerbait for catfish.

Rememmber, Keep as many lines in the water as you can, Know what bait is on what line and how deep and where that line is. Once you catch a catfish there youv'e probably found the thermocline where they are chilling out at. Target that area/depth of the water. If you have 3 poles use all three. put two in the water and cast a Crawfish or shad pattern crankbait for cats AND bass while you wait the 15 mins before you reposition bait.

If you have done all this or do all this and still don't catch something ...find a new hole. seriously theres got to be one closer. if not come to Houston, Texas and PM me, I will sink your hook into big channels, bass and gigantic gar all weekend, FROM The bank.

Ike

13. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I have fished the lakes around NM for alot of years and one thing the BOC turned me onto was Danny Kings punch bait. Another really good one also recommended by the Brotherhood is Cat Tracker wicked Sticky. Shrimp also works pretty good. These baits work really well because they have a really good drawing power. If you live near Santa Fe try Cochiti Lake. If you need any other advice email me at. flytyer1964@msn.com I work for the Los Alamos Fire Department and I have plenty of fishing time if you want to go sometime let me know.

14. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    yeah my mom is really cool i like her a lot lol. shes really good to me and she enjoys fishing too. sorry i said the same thing twice earlier. Thanks for all your help guys im going out in the morning to the same lake i will try what u guys said thanks.