I need a little help with a Penn 209

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by winston61, Oct 3, 2006.

1. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I bought my first second hand 209 last week. While taking it apart to clean I didn't realize that the pinion gear was stuck on the spool. I had to take all the screws out of the right side plate out to get the reel apart. Could someone please post a photo of the inside of the right side plate assembled? I've got the schematic but a photo would sure be a big help. Thanks to all.

Ed

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I saw your thread.I don;t have a photo and I have been looking hard with no results.Sorry that you have not gotten help.peewee-williams

3. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Ed, my experience has been that most of the older Penn reel designs were pretty much the same. For example, the right side plate assembly on the 500 Jigmaster, 140 Squidder, 209, 309, 90, etc were the same.

Here are some pictures of the inside right side plate for a 500 and a 140. The pictures may look identical but they are of 2 different Penn reels. I'm afraid you still won't be able to see what you need for reassembly. Let me know if I can help you. I am somewhat familiar with these reels.

One other comment, the pinion gear must be totally free to slide on the spool shaft.

Attached Files:

4. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Ed here is the EXPLODED view of ALL your Penn 209 parts:
    http://www.pennreels.com/exp_views/conv/407_209M _Rev _8.pdf

Don