I need a few helpful suggestions...

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Kev-Man, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Kev-Man

Kev-Man Guest

I'm gonna make myself a doughbait, I got some bad chick livers ( man, the are bad... ), some good ones too, some hotdogs I put out today and a few other tasty morsals those catfish love, I have some lye soap ( they like that stuff for some reason ) and I was just wondering what a good dough recipe might be. Can I just whip up a batch of dough with some garlic in it ? I hear catfish are attrached to proteins, I have some cereals here my wife got and doesn't care for and they are full of that stuff, plus they have nuts in them and everyone knows that nuts are full of protein. I was wondering if I ground that cereal up and added it to the mix would it help it or hurt it ? I'm not to worried if it sticks together very well because I use pantyhose and make nice sized baitballs from them. Will some one give me a little feedback on this ?
    I'll put it to the test right away and post my results A.S.A.P. with pictures. Hope to hear from you...:006:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin you have some interesting ideas to try. There is a lot of prepared baits info. found in the BOC library. Check it out ann you will like what you find.

3. Kev-Man

Kev-Man Guest

I made that concotion tonight and used most of what I said I would. I know this; it's high in proteins ( I made sure of that ), I believe it'll be good. I made a batch similar to this last year and it worked out great, I just stepped up a little for this one. I know this, it stinks right nice. I made it outside and my smelt it in the house. I also had enough leftover for some dipbait and to add to the dough I made to make it stronger if need be.
    Anyway, I'll let you Brothers know how it works in the next few days. I'm still open for anything someone thinks I should add to this recipe.
    Have a good one.
    :0a23:

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Kevin,
    WE use to make our own carp dough. We would add Wheaties cerial ,along with some cotton balls and some vanilla extract. It worked well on those carp.

5. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Kevin,

I don't suppose there is any perfect bait when it comes to dough bait. Whatever you want to use is okie dokie. The worst it smells the better...Good luck with you bait..

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's an article I wrote several years back in an attempt to list a recipe for every homemade bait I could find:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820
    While you may not find a recipe for the exact ingredients you have, you should be able to get some ideas of how to use them.

7. G3PO

G3PO New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My goodness... I am sure that stuff stinks to high heaven! :crazy:

8. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
  9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    You are limited only by your imagination. I've tried just about anything you can think of. My wife doesn't understand why I get excited when she cleans out the refrigerator :wink:

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    soured corn works good in the mix also

11. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Check your regulations in your state / county, on what is called Chumming / Baitting fish.
    Most all state's have regulation's on these methed's of baitting fish.
    If putting a form of bait into a container of any kind. This is going to be regulated by the state. Mostly in fresh water area's. I believe they call this a lure.