I need a DAM expert!!

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, May 4, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Just wondering who out there fishes the dams we have on the Ohio river? I went to Markland the other day to bank fish for skips, caught a few but saw some other guys catching a few hybrids and maybe a cat or two...couldnt see real clear. I was thinking about taking the boat down there but it seems to be a whole different ballgame below a dam, you got heavy current, some white water, major snags and apparently a lot of fish:eek:oooh:. Well my dad and brother in law call me from down south in Ky and they are wanting to come up and do some fishing to try and catch a striper, maybe a hybrid and some good cats....like I can just poop those out anytime! no pressure or anything...:smile2: So pretty much I want to be able to give them at least a fighting chance at bringing in a decent fish(s) to snap a picture of and brag to my family that indeed their Northern Ky son can catch a fish or two. Now granted I am waiting until the river calms down to at least the lower 20's here in Cincy before heading to the dam and yes I have a pretty good sized boat (almost 20'), but even with those things going for me I never have had any success below the dams...other than skips of course (which any blind squirrel could catch). So who around here considers themselves to be a DAM expert? I definately could use a few (alot) of DAM tips so I dont drag them all over Ky and not catch any DAM fish!:0a28:

Bill

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Bill
    I do not consider myself a DAM expert but I have caught a couple of cats below the Greenup L/D. I like using a cat bobber and fish just off the bottom. I use the cat bobber rig just like drift fishing, but from the bank.

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am by far a DAM expert!! but do bank fish and have put in a boat a few times behind the cannelton area. first i dont know your boat but a bass boat/V-hull type of boat cuts the water much better witch behind a dam is bad deal that is why most like flat bottom johns because the hull design keeps the boat on top of the waves versus cutting through the wave alowing the nose to saty low for the next wave. I would not use the boat if you have not been out there before with new people if you are looking to catch fish, I would stay to the areas you already know from the bank. but if new to boat behind a dam i would stay an additional 40 yards or so farther than the makings of the boundary lines and get a feel from there to start. but fishing from a boat I would drift by goimg into the boils of the gate as close as allowed or as comfortable with throughing into with cut skipwith a leader around 12 to 18 inches long up from a weight big enough to keep the line down while drifting. while the current pushes the boat down streem use the troling motor to help slow the drift some if needed and bounce you weight off the bottom as you drift.
    thats just a few ways I like to use but there are many other ways as well. mabey you already knew it. if so mabey it will help someone else lol. anyways good luck and stay safe (think slow and act fast)
    if you deside to stay on bank-- if you would like to try stripes I would get as close to the boils as i could and through white large curly tails or shad bodies. throughing into the boils and retriving back should pick up a stripe or two. as far as cats I like to fish from bottom. - I like to fish were if I through away from the main current my line will settle to the bottom in front of me beside the current. I like to use a 3 way split with a 6 oz weight about 4 inches from the 3 way and a #8 hook about 18 inches from the 3 way and some times I like to add a float about 3 inches from the hook on the same leader (if you are fishing in a real rocky area this will hold the bait up out of the rocks were fish can get at it and still stay on bottom not fighting a top water float)

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Only a few pointers . When I fish Barkley tailwaters I use just enough weight to keep the bait down but moving with the current and usually pick up blues and channels in the boils . In my experience the flatties don't wanna fight that current Bait choices for stripes the same as on the flys I fish from the bank when strpie fishing and get up against the face of the dam @ dark you'll see when it's time the strpies will bust up jacks and shad just keep throwing and you will connect .

5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    The boat I have is a flat bottom hull design sort of a mod-V, I am not worried about the water so much as I am a cautious boater and will only try for fish below the dam when the river levels allow. I guess the reason I never catch any fish below the dams is because I am always fighting a snag or 3. I will try changing up dif oz weights next time maybe that will help. I have a few goals this year one is a 30 lb cat and the other is a 15 lb bass (hybrid or stripe dont care). Thanks for the tips guys!

Bill

Attached Files:

6. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Well Bnt55 it looks like on the fly gave you some good dam fishing info skipjacks are great dam bait and it looks like you got a good dam fishing boat!..:smile2:I could go on but I stop here:smile2: Billy

7. skinnerbug

skinnerbug New Member

State:
    brandenburg ky
    i never did care nuch for fiting the tail waters of a dam i always fish the up side ive pulled 40 to 80 lbers from in front of the dam at hawesville give the up side a shot and see what you get use 6 to 10 inch skip on about 80 lb line

8. Fortancient

Fortancient New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bill have you not had any luck in the Ky river there at Lock # 1? It is far less dramatic than Markland.

9. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have never been to the KY river. not sure how far away from northern KY it is. If I fish a dam it is usually Markland or Meldahl. Is the fishing any good below the ky river dam? I have always wanted to cruise the Ky river but just never got around to it.