I Need A Concrete Expert A.s.a.p.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by mikeskywalker, Sep 29, 2006.

1. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I need help i have a few ?'s first truck is coming at 8:30

1. after we start screting how long before i start my bulfloat ?
    2. do i need to add any preasure when i run my broom across ?

2. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Depends on how wet or dry the concrete is, how hot or cold it is, how dry or humid it is. If you float it and the float keeps gumming up then wait. Let the concrete be your guide. As for brooming, it also depends on when you do it, if you wait til it has set up a little you may need to add a little pressure. Experiment a little.

3. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Someone told me that i should let the screet get about 15 feet ahead then start floating does that sound about right

4. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Like I said there are a bunch of variables, if you have an extra person then sure start as soon as the concrete will let you.

5. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I'm no expert but I've poured a few slabs and sidewalks. You should be able to bull float it right away unless the driver gets it way too wet for ya. As for the brooming, you won't need to put any pressure on the broom at all. Unless you want a very rough finish you should let it dry quite a while before attempting to broom it as the broom will dig in pretty deep if the concrete is too wet. It's really hard to tell you just how long to wait, it depends on how wet the driver gets it and it depends on the drying conditions you have today and also depends on the finish that you want. Best bet would be to just experiment every half hour or so (in one small area)until you are getting the finish that you want. If you broom right behind the bull float it will almost certainly be too rough for you .Let it set at least a half hour and make a test swath with your broom.If it's too rough take a hand trowel and smooth it back out and try again in a half hour or so. Don't overwork the area you are resmoothing or you will keep pulling water up and it will take that much longer to dry .

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Although I give advise on here as a marine tech, I earned my living for more than 20 yrs building concrete structures. Miles of side walks, acres of slabs, and water treatment plants all over Fl and Ga, to name just a few things i've done with concrete.

Bull float as soon as you've got room behind the screed guys.

Fill in the low spots and knock down the high spots.

Run an edging tool along your forms for a clean edge when you take them off.

Try brooming it when it looses it's shine. There's different types of brooms to use also for the finish you want.

You didn't say what you were doing, type of pour. I'm asking because of expansion and control joints you might need. It depends on width and length.

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    May be too late for this post. I aint read All post.Take it all in and, get r done.
    I'm no Expert by a long shot and it's been years since I did concrete for myself or help a friend out.
    Done a lot on construction concrete. We had vibrators, blades and such. I mostly built forms and dirt part.
    Anyway as I remember, I started floating it out as soon as I got it all level and I Also go around the form after its poured and tap real good with a hammer along the boards. It helps fill in nice an smooth along the sides.
    . As it dries, can spray a fine mist of water while floating it out and make it as
    smooth as you like. I left it a little rough so it wouldn't be too slick. I would not use a lot of pressure on broom. The rougher it is, deeper the broom sweeps are,the harder it is to sweep up dirt.
    When I did my shop after it was built, which made it harder. 6 or so yards, I had one friend and 4 boys from 8 years old to 12. LOL. Dang work out.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Good Luck.

8. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    THANKS BROTHERS im pooring a 101 x 13 driveway in the morning i have a bulfloat an edger and a groover rented im going to groove it every 10 foot and i will wack the forms as we go my neighbor let me use his vibrating screed i have 3 coolers of pop and water 2 pots of coffee set to turn on at 7:30 2 dozen doughnuts and am getting pizza and beer when we get done if ya'll want to come help start driving im in DesMoines 2 of my helpers got called in to work and one of them had his mother pass away and my dad cant come as for my step grandpa jusy had a heart attac and died so i hope it all goes well ........i'll send pics if it comes out ok

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you were a little closer I'd come help you out but you're a long way from Roanoke, Va. I bricked two chimneys today and still have mortar under my nails. LOL I'm about to do a steep 150 foot driveway at my other house. The driveway is so steep that I'll have to do it in 20 foot sections, let it cure, and do another section. I was going to mix and pour it myself but I figured if I start at the bottom and form and pour two 10'x12' sections, I can then get the concrete truck to back up the drive and pour a couple more sections, and so forth until I get to the top.
    Good luck, brother.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    With the serious cold you get, a piece of expansion material would be beneficial where the concrete meets the building and every 20 feet there after.

Rent a demolition saw with a blade for cutting masonry, and saw cut the 10' control joints tomorrow, at least 1/4" deep. I've used a long 2x4 and ran the saw along the edge for straight lines.

For driveways, a piece of pressure treated 1x4 can be used as expansion joint. I've staked it off using screws to hold it to elevation. Pour up to it and shovel some concrete on the other side, leaving the stakes and screws exposed, and it'll hold to elevation while you remove the screws and stakes.

A battery operated drill w/screwdriver bit helps in using screws and extracting them and the stakes.

Also when I used this system, I'd pour every other section, then go back and fill in the sections not poured.

Good luck, your in for a good days work.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Once again, Bobpaul has hit the nail on the head. I too have had many years of experience in concrete pours and finishing. He has givin you some sound advice. If you are short on help, I would pour it a little wetter to give yourself some extra time to finish it. You sure don't want it to set too quickly and have to bust it up to start over again. Remember this, You don't have to pour it all at one time, pour what you think you can handle in the given time and consider the help you have as well.

PS I have found that there are two ways to pour concrete:
    1. You can work "IT"!
    2. Or "IT" can work you!

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The concrete would have to cure for weeks before it would be safe to put a concrete truck on it, be carefull!!!

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yea , considering it takes concrete 30 days or so to fully cure.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    sounds like you got plenty of healp when i was finishing concrete i remember how much really tough work it was course i was about 20 years younger then good luck with the pour

15. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    well fella's after 2 hours compacting the ground real good the cement truck's left 2 huge rut's in my drive so do you think i accounted for this i ordered 3/4 extra yard and was still short so i formed it off and am pouring the other 2 yards in the morning it dont look to bad considering all my help except this old man i know were worthless it will be ok i have a couple dips but since it is broomed you can't tell unless your female lol lol yea i'll never hear the end of it from my wife butt if she want's to pay 65oo to have pro's come in then i start tearing it out .....

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Oh, I forgot to tell you how well the rubber tires can compact the area you will be pouring. You've got several tons on a few square inches of rubber in contact with the ground.

Never let the trucks inside your forms. Think wheel barrel.

Don't feel bad about the worthless help. I've had whole crews of them that were borderline. They all remember me. They were good by the time the job was over, if they lasted.

17. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Well she's done and if i do say so myself looks pretty good
    thanks for all the input guy's .............