I need a circle hook expert!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Chief, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    this is my first year to seriously try out some circle hooks. the other day i was bank fishing while i was talking to my buddy my #3 rod whipped down and i saw my line shoot upriver so i grabbed the rod out of the holder, held it high and started reeling, i felt him for a second and then it was like he just let go. i figured since the rod bent down so far it would of been enough to turn and sink that circle hook. maybe i should of waited a little longer before picking up the rod? been making sure to hook my cutbait in the corner to leave lots of room for the hook to do its thing so that wasnt the problem.

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Clayton, there are a lot of mysteries about circle hooks. Are you fishing for blues or flatheads? There was someone that said blues have a tendency to grab the bait as they go by like a freight train, and then they will rearrange it in their mouth. If it was a blue, and it did this, then you might have pulled the hook out of its mouth. If you didnt push the hook point all the way through the bait, it could have blocked the hook gap and prevented it from setting into his jaw. Another possibility would be that circle hooks just arent for you. Some people take that stance too. Me, for instance. I like circle hooks ok, but I think that J hooks are more reliable. So a little more information (type of fish, bait, current/weather conditions etc...) would help :)

3. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I don't really have this problem. I wait until the rod it really shaking good then pick it up. But i have had a problem with it not sinking in and the fish just graps it but dosn't bite down on it.

4. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i always try to wait until i know for sure that it is on
    when i started with them id see it bend over and stay down so id grab it and lose it then i learned to just wait wait wait

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    When fishing with circle hooks, it requires a calm and patient personality of the angler. I have been using one type of circle hook for about 5 years now and swear by it. (8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle wide gap). The most productive technique that has worked for me is to 1st: make sure the fish has the bait is on a solid run with it ,( I have my reels set on free spool),
    2nd: grab the rod gently and point the tip of the rod at the fish while it is still running. 3rd: engage the reel and let the fish pull the line tight. 4th: when you feel the weight of the fish and think he is hooked, gently raise the end of the rod toward the sky but not straight up. 5th: start to reel in then give the rod a small jerk to get a solid hook set. Give it a try

6. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    i have had quite a problem with the hook slipping out of their mouth, especially when they get near the water and start splashing about...

7. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Hey Chief, noticed you fish the wabash in warren county, I graduated from Seeger High School there. Good luck with the fishing

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    It takes a little time to learn to use the circle hooks. I started using them three years ago now and I don't use anything but circle hooks for my catfishing. I set my reels on free spool with the clicker on. Once the reel starts screaming at me, I reach over and engage the reel. Then I pick it up and start reeling. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, attempt to set the hook. The fish will always hook themsleves. As for the one you missed, it could have been a gar. Their harder to hook with circles, and they love cut bait and live bait.

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've been reluctant to try the circle hooks, but am starting to think it might be worth a try.
    What are your recommendations for hook sizes?

Thanks!

Eric

10. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    eric 8/0 gama otco circle hooks r they way to go when i get back to il we will have to hook up been a real long time since i fished in il

11. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I wouldnt go anything under 7/0 when using circles. First, choose the circle hooks with a wide gap (the point of the barb to the shank) need to be wide enough to catch in the side of the cat's mouth. Second, make sure the whole point and barb is fully exposed after putting the bait on.

12. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Yeah, I have had that happen too. Like others said he could have been just mouthing the bait, gar, that it just did not turn correctly to get the hook set this time. Maybe the bait turned into the hook. If ya felt weight then a "pop", maybe then it wasn't hooked deep and only hooked in the soft corner skin of the mouth and the skin ripped. Could have been alot of things. If the rod loaded up and bent real good with reel engaged and rod stationary it should have been hooked. So, I go with the ripped skin or gar. I can't see that ya did anything wrong. BUT, I aint no expert.

13. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have been using them for about 2yrs and don't like anything under 10/0 but will settle for 8/0 gama's. Once you get that technic down you won't want to fish any other way. I too give them a quick snap after I have already started reeling just to make sure that hook is in good. Just don't do it to soon or you will lose them everytime.

14. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    It will take some getting used to, not setting the hook. LOL
    So, it sounds like I want an 8/0 or 10/0 hook. Is that for all sizes of cats? I would assume you would want smaller hooks when fishing for smaller fish.

Thanks!

Eric

15. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I just make sure they have the bait and crank the reel handle once before taking the rod out of the holder. I do think snelling the hook helps especially if you are using circles with an offset eye. See ya on the water!

16. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well i finally got my first catch on circle hooks. 5-6lb channel cat. this time i counted to 10 before i lifted the rod up, didnt have any trouble except trying to get the hook out. anyone else file the barbs down? cause i ended up having to shear my hook and pull it back through. i was also using a 4/0 cicrle sea. i have some 7/0 i plan to try on flatheads once they get moving. i just dont see a small catfish taking an 8/0 hook with bait. but i'm no expert

17. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    at least its started working for you, i usually dont even touch the rod untill im almost sure its hooked, kinda like using a limbline with a reel but their better on the fish and it takes the "when to jerk" element out of it. i just very very slowly give the reels two or three turs of the crank to make sure its hooked or sort of manually pull it in to place before i will even remove the rod from the holder.honestly when the waters is warm and the fish are aggressively feeding ive had a better hookup ratio using circles.

18. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    as far as little fish not being able to take a big hook, friday i was just checking my bait and pulled up a little blue maybe 1/2lb on a 6/0 circle withe a 3 inch piece of shad,i didnt even know i had a fish until i got it out of the water. i have no idea how that fish ate the bait and especially how it ended up hooking itself but it did and they will. just have faith in the equipment, im sure an 8/0 or 10/0 could hook a fish down to about a pound or two at least.

19. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    One thing I've learned when using circles with baits such as live gills or cut shad is to make sure there are no scales caught on or covering the point. this could mean the difference between landing a fish of a lifetime or getting skunked.

20. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you're fishing for channels a Gamakatsu 5/0 or 6/0 is perfect. Going for the big ones, I would say the Gamakatsu 8/0 since that's the biggest circle so far.