I need a boat.

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by sobofisherman, Oct 11, 2009.

1. sobofisherman

sobofisherman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anyone know of a good jon boat for sale? I just sold my 4 wheeler and wanna get a boat. I have a grand right now. i've been checking craiglist and everything in my price range just has to small of motors for me. I'd like a 15 or bigger. If anyone knows anything, let me know. want to get on these winter blues and it's not working from the bank. lol

2. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Save your money, a boat may be for sale by spring

3. Nomdic1

Nomdic1 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Are you interested in a bowrider? I've got a 17 and a half with a 100hp merc and trailer. It needs to be cleaned up and some work done. If so, drop me an email @

wayne_thilkey@hotmail.com

4. sobofisherman

sobofisherman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I went and got one yesterday guys, got it from a fellow member of this site. 14 ft. gamefisher with a 15 on it. really nice in my opinion. I found bigger boats but I wanted something that would be reasonable in the Dan as well as Buggs. So hope to be on the lake soon for some of this winter blues. And if all goes well with that wouldnt mind giving the Icebowl a shot. Never did a tournament before. I'll post pics of the boat soon want to get some ideas on doing some mods to it.

Greg

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Stick a fork in you because you are done!:big_smile:
    Forget about getting chores done on the weekends and better get warmer clothes so you can come up and fish the Tidal James this winter.
    Congratulations!

6. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Get those winter clothes out and head to the deep water in Buggs. Theres hawgs there that'll put the James to shame, if you can land em.

7. sobofisherman

sobofisherman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thats my plans keepit and i also plan to land em. lol

Any suggestions on a places to get started, pretty much know deep but im used to the dan in summer. never done the winter thing before

8. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Start at Rudds, Island Creek, or Ivy hill and work your way down. Anchor off strong points or SLOW drift across them. Cutbait usually wears them out the colder it gets. Get a decent graph and watch it like a tv til you learn the area and a gps if you stretch yourself out. I've got more than 1 person lost down there. Your NOT above the bridges so don't get intimated. You might catch me down there sometime.

9. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Buggs Smuggs,,,,,We all know where the last two State Records came from.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    The record between those 2 really caused a stir tho, we are a patient lot down here. We only have had blues for about 20 yrs and catching up fast. Gonna be a real shame when we have the blue AND flathead record here where it belongs .:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Keepit your right I know there are both state records in BUGGS,you and I have only been a few pound from the flat record, gota find them though, I know of an old man that caught a 70 some pound flat on a noodle last year so It won't be long. Those fish in a tub are a lot easier to catch than those in a 50,000 acre lake!! Don't get me wrong I like easy sometimes too!!

PS. one citation and several in the twenties today, try again tomorrow!!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  12. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    30lb blue for a citation isn't worth the stamp. They should make 40lbs for a flathead and a blue minimum. Then again I personally wouldn't send off for a citation anyway. I just want that 100lber.:wink:

13. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I think this keepit, you catch her i net her, I catch her you net her? Kenneth you want blues, that's cool but when you want a real fight come see! These flats will give you that 90lb feel and only be a third that size!

P.S I think It should be against the law to keep a catfish over 30 pounds! JMHO

Chris

CPR FOREVER

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  14. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    I catch small flats to 25 pounds in the early spring as they move from the tidal portion of the James to the rapids in downtown Richmond. The flathead fishing is supposed to be pretty good in town during the summer but I don't go. I am in South America then. The flatties I have caught in the Spring do fight well. You guys are fortunate to have it close by. When I grew up in Lynchburg I used to fish the Stauton river in the spring for stripers and shot the piss out of ducks in the winter. Great place Southside!:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

15. sobofisherman

sobofisherman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Got the GPS/Depth Finder from a good gentlemen on the Kerr site. Now just waiting to get on the water and see what I can do.

16. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Why you waiting? The fishing has been good all week, found the bigger fish in 60 to 74 feet with good action anchord and drifting. Good luck and lets see some good reports. The only reason I'm not fishings that I have to work nights this weekend, look out next week though. Keepit you been on the job too long! Time to fish now.

17. sobofisherman

sobofisherman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Heres some pic of the new boat. One pic shows the inside when i got it with the paint chipping and another shows it after it all was Dura-lined, Hope it holds up, I think it looks good though!!

Trying to find the time to put the first cat in it!! :big_smile:

Attached Files:

18. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    That's a good looking boat! You could probally use a bit more hp to push it.

19. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice looking rig. I grew up fishing in a gamefisher. Good stable boat. Seems like that black liner will be kind of hot in the summer. My jon boat (green) gets blazing hot.

20. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Get your butt down lake and tryout that boat, the blues are on and going to get better. Lemme know when your going I'll meet you down there and give you a few pointers.