I need a boat motor!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Chief, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i got a small jon boat that i used to fish our pond with. pretty basic have to use oars to get it around. well me and a friend took it up the river and dropped it in a few miles upstream. so we floated and rowed down and fished. worked ok, but theres no turning back! i was wondering if an electric trolling motor would be enough to push a small boat up a decent river current? i cant afford a gas motor there ridiculously expensive and my girlfriend would kill me if i bought a motor and not a ring. how long does a trolling motor run on a battery? and do you have to buy a certain kind?

2. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I would reccomend spending the extra money and buying a used gas motor because you got to think about people in your boat plus the weight of your gear and the weight of the boat itself. I like to be able to go up and down the river with no problems.

chris

3. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You could machine a busted anvil into a boat motor and it will STILL be cheaper than a ring for yore woman.

Seriously, you can find a 6 or 8 horse motor for 300-500 dollars. Or you can spend that much on a trolling motor and batteries.

Or heck, you could spend that much on a ring, but you'll still wish you had bought the motor...

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Simple solution to all the problems....take her fishing and let her do the part with the oars while you fish, then when she has to row it back, she'll suggest getting the motor. Problem solved. LOL

5. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    I'm looking at having to buy a trolling motor in the 50lbs+ and those things are alot more expensive than I thought they'd be. You can Definately find an old used 10hp (or less) for the same if not less money. Take your pick, do you want to deal with gas and oil or a 30lb battery that has to be recharged?

I would personally want a gas motor for rivers, and a electric motor for ponds. But that's just me.

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Then if that doesnt work break out the skis or a tube and tell her after she pulls you, you will give her a turn. Just be sure to pick a big lake.

Note if she does it, I would never, repeat never tick her off. I will never date a woman who can kick start a twin-V harley in freezing weather. But I do want her on my side in a dark alley

7. mjokerr

mjokerr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I am also in the market for a trolling motor for my boat.The cheapest one I could find was about $450 and the most was around $1400,thats not including the batteries,battery charger,trolling motor recpetacle and wire.Add all those expenses and you could buy a good gas motor for that kind of money.Just take you out a good size loan,buy the gas motor and a ring for your girlfriend and everybodies happy.:)

8. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think you need all three, a good used engine and a trawling motor. Along with a set of oars. I'm sorry I am not much help but thats life. I've had used motors all my life and they pick a time to fail. Then maybe the the trawling motor will get up back to the dock if you didn't run down the battery trying to start the used engine. That where the oars come to play.

9. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    go visit the bank get $1000 for used outboard $400 for trolling motor and battery and at least i repeat at least $2000 for a ring. and then your set.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    chief, im with the rest of the guys,get a used gas motor. you can get a 10hp for 200.00 if you do some lookin. i paid 30$ for one a few years back at a garage sale. it needed a gear in the lower unit but i had one in the shed. paid 80.00 for a 1957 35hp that i still use today. stick to johnnyrudes too more parts around. start looking in the papers now deals are out there!!!!!!!

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I hate to say this because it sounds like I am a shill for ebay. But look there first.. you can buy them (gas motors) from about $50.00 up.

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i got what you need 4 horse johnson and a foot controlled trollin motor just pm me

if you need a ring your oughta luck LOL

13. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    what size boat? how much weight? how big a river? heres what i did before i got a gas outboard and it worked great, i picked up a minnkota 36 lb trolling motor from a pawn shop for 50 bucks, and bought a new deep cycle battery for 80 bucks, it pushed my 14 foot tin skiff with no problems, i bought a second battery to use as a reserve, i got the bright idea to run that motor on 24 volts just for grins, and that motor came to life!!!!! i ran it like that for a couple of years with no problems, actually i liked running electric so much im thinking about ditching the 2 stroke and going with a electric outboard!

14. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    after reading this thread i have discovered what my biggest problem is . i spent $ 200.00 for a weeding ring and$2650 for a new 4 stroke 15 hp. merc.hum. i may not have my priorities in the right place. as far as a trolling motor in the river i tried that once in the arkansas river. to this day i still thank god that i got back alive. im not jokeing either.if you get in a current situation make sure you have the power you need to maintain control of your boat.

15. alsims

alsims New Member

chief
    to bad i live a good ways from you. I got a 5hp 4 stroke brigg&stratton outbord gas motor. like new. with papers.still in warnty.comes with 3 gal tank&gas line. all for 300.00 dollars. new last year was 699.00+tax.think more this year.i got a big boat and neded a bigger motor. it would push your boat verry good. you dont have to mix the oil&gas eather which i loved. it is air cooled so no problem runing it out of water or in muddy places.
    telphone no is 901-835 2329.

16. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    man what a bunch of good offers too bad i'm strapped for money right now. if this gives you any idea of the river i fish, me and my brother rowed up it in the same boat i'm talking about now. up it as against the current about 1/4 mile. (talk about a freakin workout). could a low end transom mount trolling motor put out the same kinda output as 2 men with oars? like say a 35lbs of thrust minn kota. ultimately i'd love a nice 5 horse gas motor, the girlfriend never said i couldnt buy an electric..lol you know your cat hungry when you fish a river with no motor! old school!

17. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    If she don't want to row, you need a new girlfrend anyway.:)

18. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    was this or should i say is this trolling motor the 12/24 type??
    or did you put 24 volts to a 12 volt motor and it just works.?:confused:

id be afraid to try that on a 12 volt only.

19. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    You always loose when just buying an engine. Basicly, when you buy a boat, you buy the engine and the boat just comes with it, seriously. Around here, you can get a used boat with an older engine that runs (50-100 HP) for 500-1000 bucks. Or you can go out and get a used 10HP for 500 bucks.

You can look in the paper and see adds like:
    "16' Glasstron with 50HP Johnson, trolling motor, fishfinder, livewell, trailer, ready to fish! $1,000 obo or trade"

next add:

"50 HP Johnson outboard, runs great, new ignition $800 firm"

next add:

"9.9 HP Evenrude, runs great. $650 obo"

Whats the best value out of those adds?

As to your boat, I have a Jon boat as well. I have a 30 lb thrust trolling motor and it will beat the current of the Little Miami river (a smaller river across the street from my house). I also have a 3.9 HP Mercury outboard on it that is plenty of engine for the little twelve footer.
    ^
    ^
    ^
    12' Jon boat for sale, trolling motor, 3.9 HP mercury outboard, runs great, just in time for fishing! $600 OBO or trade. See IamMike on the BOC.

20. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I've got a 25hp Chrysler hanging in the garage that I would be willing to barter for. It will probably need new gaskets and impeller. I would estimate its worth about $600 but wouldn't take more than $300 or and equal trade form a brother.