I need a boat.. I'm also a noobie.. help?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by cavillac, Aug 9, 2009.

1. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    Hello bretheren,

Next year I plan on purchasing my first boat. I will primarily be fishing wing dikes in the missouri river, the commute will be at the most 10 miles.

I want to go as small as possible but I don't know anything about boats/Motors

Obviously the boat will take some abuse so it has to be a jon boat..
    As far as passengers go, probably will only be taking one more person..

I was at our Bass Pro Shops today looking around and found this little boat
    http://www.newboats.com/boat/TRACKER-BOATS/Guide-V12-Lite

Its a 12 ft boat, but it says the reccomended max horsepower motor is 10hp, will that be enough to make it up the muddy mo?
    The smallest I would want is a 25hp.. what would happen if I were to put a 25horse on a small boat like that? would the nose want to come off the water too high?

Anyway I'd appreciate to hear what you other fella's are having luck with and any other suggestions.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    {First of all Welcome to the B.O.C.}
    No w as far as boats go don't jump into anything blindsided.That's a nice little boat but Personally I think it's to small for the Mo. That is one dangerous river.Lots of current and whirlpools. and Hidden dikes. Choose Wisely!!

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree..I would go with 15' - 16' w/@ least a 25..Also I'd check w/your state DWF or the coast guard and see about taking a boaters safety course..

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    What can be added to the above two posts. :wink:

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    BRANDON u need to look around an find u a bigger boat maybe get a used one in good shape .The boat u posted about is only rated for a 10 hp motor ,an only rated for 400 lbs of weight .I personaly dont have many people i fish with ,that the 2 of us without any gear would not have it overloaded :wink::smile2: That is something u need to think about before u buy a boat .In my opinion even if u have to wait a little longer to get a boat get a larger boat than that, if nothing more than the safety of you an anyone you take fish'n with you :cool2:

WELCOME TO THE B.O.C.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Brandon. I agree with what has been said here. If you are on a big river, you would want a bigger boat. I would go with a 16' at the smallest and make sure it has tall sides. The MO river may be too big for a jon boat all together. I know I wouldn't want to be caught out in the middle of the river in a small boat and the wind picks up and waves start crashing. And if you are new to the boat game, take Les's advice and take a boaters safety course. Good luck Andrew

7. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    I know where there is a 16 ft jon boat with a 35 merc console a guy might beable to get it for less than 2 grand. That's a good cat boat and the standard river boat not to fancy

8. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Welcome to the BOC Brandon. I'd listen to what those guys said about having a bigger boat for that river. I used to have a 14ft V-hull with a 5 hp that I'd take on the blue but no way would I take it on that river. Anyways happy hunting on the boat search and don't forget to check out CL. There's always good deals on there.

9. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    jr who has the jon boat thats kinda what im looking for lol

10. mudd

mudd New Member

State:
    iowa
    i just might be selling my 1998 1872 seaark with a 115 johnson fastskrike on it.im in nw iowa and shld know whether or not im selling it within the next cpl weeks.

11. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    Chris get a hold of me if you think you might want it. Its a guy at work up at plattsmouth needs a lil tlc but its just like rube's jo boat. Motor needs a good tune up but you could probably get it for under 2.

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I agree with everyone else,bigger boat! your gonna want something stabil and powerful enough to get you out of trouble. putting a larger motor on than a boat it rated for is dangerous,you could actually rip the transom right out of a boat doing that,and it would happen at the worst possible moment.
    johnboats are great and so are quite a few other boat designs for running the rivers. what you want is shallow draft and length enough to be stabil (I'd say minimum of 16 foot) and enough power to not only cruise the river,but enough for any situation that might arise. the muddy mo can be a dangerous river at times and safty is important.
    Also I went too small my first boat and ended up fishing from shore more than the boat,you need room to move around and hold enough gear to be comfortable.

13. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    I found one and got an awesome deal on it, An old 16ft Flatbottom with a 30horse Johnson outboard, came with a old sunoco trailer with new tires..
    All for 1000$

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    That's great! Hows it working for you? I know getting a boat set up the way you like it takes some time,a little here a little there!

15. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    I still havent taken it out but I just bought it from a family friend on saturday, I need to clean it out before I can take it out..

16. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    welcome to the BOC....i think the guys on here have given you the Very Best Of Advice...listen to them and you will be safe and ready to catch fish....

17. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Glad you found a bigger boat Brandon! If you are gonna fish the big rivers, you want the biggest, safest boat you can get. I personally wouldn't want any thing smaller than a 16' with deep sides. Glad you decided not to go with the 12'. It would be extremely dangerous bucking barge wakes in a 12 footer. And as others have said, you should take a boater safety course if one is available. If not, at least get a book on the subject. If you know someone who knows the river to help & guide you, and give you some tips to learn the river, and set up your rig safely, would be a good idea too. Don't mean to preach, Just don't want you to buy a boat and stick it in the river and get in trouble that you may not get out of. If I were you, I'd put it in a lake or smaller body of water and run it around first, to get the feel of it. Congratulations on your first boat, be careful, respect the river and good fishin'.

18. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    throw up a pic,maybe we can give ya some set up pointers,if ya like. And don't forget all the mandatory safty gear you need to carry on a boat,it can take up some room and be a pain in the butt,but the fines and lives it will save are worth the hassle. My boat doesn't leave the trailer without a small tool kit either with electric tape,pliers,spark plug wrench,spare fuses for everything that needs them,flashlight,screwdrivers,a chunk of extra wiring,and any other odds and ends my boat could/might need for a emergency fix on the water also a spare prop(doesn't have to be fancy) and prop wrench. thats in assition to the safety equipment!

19. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    This is an online course i know it isn't from your home state, but you can take the course and i have before, it is full of useful information. it is the Maryland state boaters course: http://www.boat-ed.com/Maryland/index.html

20. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    Thanks for the input guys! I have my oars and safety gear, I still need lights and such though, I'm gonna read the boater info course now :wink: