I need a bigger net!!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Sep 21, 2008.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Well it paid off. I went this morining just to check my boat out. Had to do some repairs on a leak. Tried to catch some bait and all I got was some 2 and 3 inch alwife. Me and my buddie set up shop and figured we would give it an hour and enjoy the morning. After a 2pounder and a 4 pounder the usual catch for me my rod got a couple of pecks so I put my clicker on and that sucker took off. I picked it up and it would'nt move. The fish in my avatar I caught on the same rod and did'nt have too much of a problem, got this one on the same rod. This fish was like I had a volkeswagon beetle hooked to the bumper. Took me 15 minutes to get a look at him. I dont have a net big enough or a set of scales big enough. I have no idea how much it weighed. I did pull a tape and it was 43 inches long.
    If some of you veterans could estimate it for me I would appreciate the input, as I hate to overestimate the size of a fish. My guess would be 50. Hope I'm close.

It was all I could do to hold it up for the photo.:crazy:

Thanks for all the help and incouragement from the boc.

Attached Files:

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice fish,, Thanks for sharing. Do a search on Fish weigh estimators and plug in the length and girth? before I bought my 100 pound scale, I used that method and its pretty accurate. Congratulations!!!!

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Congrats on a great fish Jeff. For the weight if you have the girth measurement. Take the length x girth x girth divided by 800. This should get you real close. Good job. Reps your way.

Tom

4. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice catch Jeff! I would say that the weight of that 1 was at 35lbs. or more! Very nice !!:smile2:

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    My guess is around 45lbs.

Congrats on the great catch....I hope the bigguns keep biting. A guy my dad knows at work caught a 50lber over the weekend.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My guess is ya are gonna get a bigger net and scale. LOL! Nice fish and thanx for the pics. :crazy:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a great looking fish, congrats and good luck in the future

8. wbtfish

wbtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    C'mon guys, give the man some encouragement. That fish is 50 or better. Congrats.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Jeff on a nice fish. Thanks for sharing the pics. Its a monoster.:smile2:

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    yup, 50 is about right for that one. If he had a gut on him, he would go 60. It looks like a big ol' male blue to me. Nice fish man!!!

11. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey they sell them at any pet store.....:smile2:
    Congrats on the monster....see enough posts about not catching one pays off...

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah if that fish isnt fifty then the sky isnt blue. Definately looks like a big male to me. ANd like the others said, if it had a guy, it would be a 60 lb fish. Amazing catch and GL in the future

13. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i caught a flat about that big last week same length that weighed 50 grats on the nice blue great looking fish

14. HookLineSinker

HookLineSinker New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice Fish. Worth the wait? I'd bet so.

Mark

15. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    That is a nice fish.... It would go 52-58.. She has a good structure and is solid through out. Excellent fish and nice going. I got my estiment for my other fish I have caught... My avatar is a 58, and yoursw is close to it.. I would call it 53 to be safe give 2 or 3 lbs.....

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey I 'd say high 40-50s the one in my avatar is 29.9 thats a much bigger fish and a very nice catch "BIG CONGRATS!!"

17. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great job Jeff!.. Wish I could have been there...maybe next time!

18. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    Nice fish Jeff ..and very close to where I got my 50:wink:

19. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    that's a nice one! congrats, my guess would be around 50ish.

20. madcattero8

madcattero8 New Member

State:
    va
    between 42 and 47LBS