I must be getting old

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by n2fishn, Apr 6, 2008.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    When getting to the lake this morning at 7am I backed out onto a jetty about 30' to try some cat fishing.I backed within about 10' from the waters edge.

I got out of the truck and the wind was blowing around 25 MPH. I got the 1st rod out of the truck bed and baited the hook and threw it out setting it into the rod holder.

Got the 2nd rod out of the bed of the truck and standing at the back of the truck set the rod handle down to the ground leaning the rod against the truck while i baited the hook.

After getting it baited I grab the rod at the handle and started filling burning in the palm of my hand. I threw the rod to the ground wondering what the *** just happen.
    Looking down at the rod and picking it back up I noticed the butt end was melting and hotter than ****.

I'm thinking what is going on here. Is the fishing going to be so hot that my rods are burning up.:eek:oooh:

About then I started smelling rubber burning and looked down to see that my boot was smoking.
    I ran to the water to put it out before it started burning.
    I'm getting spooked about now wondering what the hell is going on.

I then notice that someone had must of just left the jetty and had built a camp fire burning right where i had parked.
    There was very little coals left but just enough to melt the butt of my rod and the soles of my boot.

My wife of 33 yrs tells me every time I leave to go fishing to be carefull and I alwas say dont worry that i will be OK...

I'm starting to think maybe i should'nt go by myself anymore..

PS...I did have a good laugh after all this..and ended up catching some nice fsh.

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Great story. They say wisdom comes with age. Hope you gained some wisdom today.:smile2:

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Sorry to hear that. Thats sad the people dont put out their fires. You did get a nice channel though.:wink::smile2:

4. iFish

iFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wow, just be glad you werent wearing sandals :big_smile:

5. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    usually when your trip starts out that way its best just to go back to the house. when my day starts out that way(like not putting the plug in the boat) i'll have a flat or the boat breaks down.... i have always heard a bad days fishing is better than a good day working. i have had some trips that would make the guy that said that blush. hope you caught fish.

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That's a real good way to check for fuel leaks too. It's a great story, I needed the laugh!

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Ditto what Kyle said. I'd have gone after the DUMB A _ _ who didn't put water on the coals before he left:angry:. Like "The Yeppa" said, it's a good thing you didn't have to find out your fuel tank leaked:eek:oooh:

8. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Well you have to fins humor in that.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sorry about the fire!!! At least you got some good stories to tell. Congrats on the fish, where are the pics.

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    GREAT POST HOT FOOT. I only thought them things happened to me,Welcome to the Club. LOL Sorry to hear about toe Rod(Bummer) Now Ya have a Laget reason to go buy some more gear Lucky Dog. J.D.:wink:

11. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    YOU HAVE TO FIND THE HUMOR IN THAT FOR SURE.PROBABLY THOUGHT SOMEONE PUT THE VOODOO ON YOU.:big_smile:

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Your right, there was some kind of VooDoo thing that was popping into my head at 1st.And then i was looking overhead also thinking maybe it was my time,but the fire/heat/burning thing was not were I was wanting to end-up at:embarassed:.

Believe i gave them cats i caught all the respect that they deserved and released them back into the water just like someone was watching me.

It was funning after i relized what had happend.I'm just glad no one waas around to see me jumping around.

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Great story your not old you just had other things on your mind

14. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Heck with the boot, sorry about the rod.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Good thing ya didnt get a tire backed onto that fire, could have been deadly.