I might have hit on something

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Poppa, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Last summer while my wife and I were jug fishing I was careless and
    took a side fin from 15# blue in the shin. It went all the way to the bone.
    The fish stuck to my leg and I had to pull him off, pulling some muscle
    and sinue out with it. I cut a piece of towel and made a bandage out of
    it and rapped it around my leg and tapped it tight with electrical tape.
    I fished the rest of the night but I was hurting pretty bad. The next morning
    when we got home I really didn't feel like dressing fish so I iced them
    down good. After getting some sleep and elevating my leg I got up and
    skinned all my fish, cut off the heads and removed the entrails. I left them whole and iced them down again. They stayed on ice for 5 days. Every day
    I would drain off any water and add more ice. The water coming off these
    fish was bloody the first couple of days and even a pink tint on the 5th
    day. After 5 days I finally felt like standing in one spot long enough to
    fillet all my fish and put them up in bags and freezing them. We have
    had several fish frys from these fish and they are the best tasting catfish
    I have ever eaten. I have always dressed fish and put them directly
    in bags and froze them. I would let them soak some before cooking but
    I have never had fish as good as the fish that had been on ice for several
    days after being dressed. I have kept fish on ice for days before but they
    were whole. In the future I plan to dress my fish and let them stay on
    ice for several days before filleting them and freezing. I think its worth
    the trouble.

2. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I always filet mine and leave them soaking in the fridge for 2-3 days, changing the water everyday. Then rinse them and bag for the freezer. Pretty much the same thing I guess.

3. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    hope your leg is better

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Put your fillets in the ice chest with a bag or two of ice then add water, soak them for two to three hours in really cold ice water and you will have the same results, draws all the blood out. Then just trim out the mud line and all the red meat to where all you have left is a snow white fillet. CcRrRaAaApPpPp Now I'm Hungry :wink::smile2:.

5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Well they do say knowledge takes sacrifice! That sounds like it hurt bad:eek:oooh:

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea really...what ever happened with your leg ?

I've always liked my fished soaked in lightly salted , iced water for 1 day. Then I soak it in clean water up to another day....yum,yum.

7. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    thats the way I do my carp & buffalo filets,I trim out mud line and red meat first.I put in rock salt and one cheap beer for at lease 1 or 2 days. the fish comes out white and very tasty ,dipped in corn meal and hot grease yum,yum.

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al

9. Dick Pasfield

Dick Pasfield New Member

State:
    Wester Australia
    Just on the spike, not sure what you do about it over there. We can get some wicked wounds from catties and the slime on the barbs is quite toxic.

Immersing the wound in water as hot as you can stand it gives instant relief (I can testify to that) If you can't get hot water the other relief that's used is the piss on it. The urine deactivates the toxin.

Doesn't sound the best but when your choice is pain or pee I'll take the pee :eek:oooh:

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Man Poppa, That must of hurt:confused2:

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've never been hit that bad ( in the shin bone ) but I have been stuck between my fingers really far and its pretty rough. I realize everyone has their way of cleaning it but if your method gives no relief I still swear by Epson's salt and hot water . If I get my stuck I use the herring salt we keep on the boat and do it right away or I gotta wait till I get home. I also don't let it scab up for a few days, when its wet and soaking I pick it off , LOL.

From what I've seen I really think a cats sting affects some folks worse than others . I've never hurt more than a day,,,at most. Other folks don't seem to be as lucky.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. I did the same thing with deer meat several years ago when I was still working and my wife and I both got a deer the same day (happened more than once) and we basically quartered the deer up and put the meat in several coolers and kept them iced down for several days until we could bone it out. The more melted ice water that drained off makes the meat the more cleaner and taste better, period. Now I'm never in a hurry with deer meat; I plan on bleeding it out in the coolers for as long as 7-9 days; it only gets better.

Sorry to hear about your wound; I hate to get horned by a catfish, I've had some get infected before.

13. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I always put my fish in a tub full of water with some salt in it, then let it sit for at least a few hours, and usually overnight in the fridge. The salt draws the blood out. I do this with all my small game too....ducks, geese, squirrels, etc etc. This is just what i was always taught to do.

14. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Pretty good idea.

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very interesting, thanks for the tip!

16. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    When i cut mine up i soak em in salt water for 2 days,it gets all the blood and s--- out of them then i freeze them in vacume bags ,they always are good when i deep fry em,have to beat the kids away from them so we all get some..lol

17. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    Yep, salt a couple days and vaccume seal in a little water.

The worst a cat got me was one night we were getting tore up with 8-11 inchers all night, everywhere we moved to, every cast. It would have been somewhat fun but this was in a tournament. I got so frustrated that when I saw an old racoon on the bank, I tried to throw one of those little channel catsto him for some supper. As I threw him the back of each stickerfin cut my pointer finger and middle finger damn near to the bone!!!! Needless to say, I took that as an omen to treat them with a little more respect after that!!
    And about an hour before weigh-in we got on some 4-6 pounders and ended up taking fourth!!!!

18. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If Im to eat fish I catch, they are cooked within minutes of coming out of the water on a campfire.. But for cat fish, I cut off the heads, tails, gut them, and throw them in foil with butter, garlic, and cajun seasoning.. wrap it tight and throw it directly on a fire.. The fat around the skin begins to melt and the skin falls right off. then when its ready you just grab the spine and it all comes out leaving every single ounce of meat

19. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    I cant believe that no one said anything about doing ths one...

I love catfish and i have the quickest and most efficient way to get good white fillets out of Mr. Whiskers. Usually when i get home from fishing, all my eaters that I kept are still very much alive and typically in a cooler. I fill the cooler with water outside and cut all the fishes throats near where the gills almost meet, making sure I severed their main arteries. When they go back in the water, they still live for what seems to be forever but as they are swimming, breathing and moving around, they bleed out very quickly. Do this and change the water twice over about an hour. and then fillet. Normally I put them in saltwater with a little vinegar sometimes to make the meat just a bit more tender. Soak overnight and eat or freeze. Takes any "fishy" taste right out of them.

Hope this helped!