I Might Be Rushing The Season

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by oh no, Jan 15, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    But I got my last seed order in. I ordered from Shumway Seeds and Pine Tree Gardens. Hey since that darn surgery in Nov. all I have had to do was get ready for fishing or gardening. LOL

Just before the cut on my gizzards, I picked up a used Honda rototiller off Ebay. It's one of those midsize ones that look weird with the motor over the tines. Boy I stole it from a lawnmower dealer in Wisconson. 69 dollar opening bid,[ Used tiller, like new, new ones list 899.00] I had to drive up there with the wifes car [ gas saver 26 mpg - my truck 12 mpg] and stuck in the trunk. Had to tie the trunk down, then I found out Cadillacs don't have any place to tie a rope to hold trunk lid down. I guess people that buy them new, don't load stuff in the trunk. lol lol I had to tie the rope to a hinge and stretch the rope over trunk lid, trying to damage The paint to hold it half way closed.. LOL Ahhh heck we got it used off of Ebay. Can't help it I'm cheap. It's in my bones, being cheap when it comes to buying used cars and trucks and rototillers. lol

I have several old Sears tillers they made from 1968 till about 1980. They are the ones with the regular gear shift. Low and High and Reverse , They came with 6 - 8 hp motors on them. Mine has a 9 hp Honda on it, had to extend the tines from 28" to about 36" just to support that extra weight of that 9hp. It buryed itself before I added the extensions. I think I have 4 of them, some parts tillers, 2 with motors that run. 8hp Briggs and that Honda.

2 years ago I had a Honda Harmony, little tiller, 4 cycle motor, Boy that was a good one till the gearbox went out. Those are great tillers, they are just not made for 2-3 acre gardens, running them 6-8 hours at a time.

Thats why I was looking at the size up tiller from the Honda Harmony.

Boy I hope everyone else is finding the stuff for there gardens. Outside right now it's 24 degrees and there is 4" of snow on the ground. Boy those seed catalogs can sure make a person forget the weather.

What I'm Saying is I'M READY. LOL LOL

What I'm saying is I'm ready for spring,

IS EVERYBODY READY FOR SPRING???? FOR GARDENING AND FISHING???? Now is the time to get those tools and fishing stuff in order. lol

:smile2::big_smile::tounge_out::wink::smile2::eek:oooh:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Jim what a deal even with the drive! Al-tho I must admit I would have loved to see the caddy pass by "head'n" south with a tiller hanging out of the back! :eek:oooh: :smile2: We just started that very discussion 2 nights ago, momma always whats to buy and plant more than she can handle, so we "I" decided 4 years ago she gets a paper to put the lay out on for the garden, now the flowers her and the daughter do well I stay away from that. Grew up with my grandparents on the farm and in pops garden (like yours) couple football fields....... we just love doing it and always keep the neighbor across the way and his wife in plenty of fresh goodies. He is 80+ and the past 3 years has been helping out with ours, which is great, keeps that spark in his eye :wink: This past fall was the wife's first go at canning by her self, done a grate job I might add. Really enjoy the folks who stop by every evening and are amazed it seems that we are gardening and well in the younger crowd (30's) seems to the elders that they are amazed to see "new blood" enjoying it and willing to get dirty to do this lost art of gardening. Besides it sure is nice to have the fresh goodness on the dinner table every day! Fish scraps are all saved and buried on the garden along with the yearly yard clean up and limbs that I burn on it, I may be slipping some "newbie" questions to ya through out the season if ya don't mind?
    Sounds to me like you need a tractor form the dirt work! Looking forward to the progress this season, maybe a few pics and tricks from a pro?
    Thanks,
    Randy

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a couple tractors, a Farmall 400 and a Massey Fergason Industrial tractor with a loader. I plow and disk with the old 400, and use the old Fergason for spreading sawdust and horsemanure.

Burying fish scraps, leaves, anything helps.

Years ago I bought a trailer leaf pickerupper from a farm store. It pulled behind our Cub Cadet and was supposed to save me time. LOL That damn little trailer was full before I got all the way down my driveway. It has a 5 HP Briggs and Stratton powering the fan BS sucking the leaves in the trailer.

I got detoured, anyway I dumped several loads of leaves in my garden with that outfit. No Joke, The next year I had Oak Trees for weeds. It sucked up leaves, acorns and all. And I planted them with my rototiller. Boy those were a pain to pull out.

Hey that darn thing is sitting in a corner of our barn, has been for the last 15-20 years. lol I might get it or try to get it started this year and pick up grass clippings for my tomatos.

My wife has flower beds that won't quit. She has so many flowers that she started marking them with little metal tags that poke in the ground, so she can remember what she has. She has women friends that she and them go every Wednesday, [ during the summer ] to different nurserys. Hey it's better than them hanging out at a tavern. lol She don't drink anyway. lol She hauls home trunkloads of flowers and plants with that darn Cadillac, lol lol. We have about every flower that will grow up here.

Hey, cut flowers look nice on the kitchen table, all during the spring and summer.

:smile2::tounge_out::smile2:

4. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I miss my garden. I lost it in my divorce. My Dad and I used to share a front tine tiller and we loved it. He traded/sold it to my uncle for a rear tine. We didn't like it a bit. He went to get the front tine back and it was already sold. So I use the rear tine (he can't anymore) for our small garden in the backyard. Last year was the first time I didn't have a vegetable garden in 15 yrs I think. I miss my garden.
    Sorry... Talk of gardening just brought back memories.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i dont know much about tillers other than i use my pappys and i have to bang on the recoil thing 3-4 times to get the barrings to catch so i wont throw my arm out when it dont. but it runs. anyhow im ready i just got my pepper seeds (hotter than heliacious ones) i cant buy plants already grom from in the jiffy pots.

i got those b-hut jolokia over 1,100,000 scovilles and scotch bonnet habenaros and african fatili ones started in peats tonight. lol i rubed my nose earlier and its still burning. didnt wear gloves handeling seeds.

if any west indies folks are viewing this thread whats if any a good atidote for jolokia up the nose???????? these are gonna be something to recon with. i feel sorry for any rabbits or birds messing in my garden this season. be the first red rabbits in the wild.:confused2:

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    jeeze i still cant touch my eyes.:wink: but not smiling.

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I must be getting old. I used to love real hot stuff and it did not bother me. Now at 56, too many halapenos on a taco will fire me up.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I started way too early last yr. So I'm looking thru the seed catalogs and still deciding what I want to grow. I will send for my seeds in mid Feb and will start in the lighted grow box in mid march. By the time mid april gets here plants should be perfect for the garden. I'm thinking with all the extra rabbit manure ....should be a good year. Now all we will need is a average rain fall...not a drought like last year. Watering took a lot of time away from FISHING!!!!!!:wink:

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I look forward to the day when I can have a tiller. I got my gurneys & my burpee catalogs but the mrs doesnt want me getting ideas since we're house hunting, she wants to be in the new home by spring. Oh joy, she also wants me to transplant my garden bed to the new address when we do.