I met a most interesting man today.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Dec 12, 2008.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In the course of our conversation,he mentioned he loved to fish. I asked what kind,and he told me Channel Cat. I told him that was also my favorite to catch. He proceeded to tell me he uses canepoles from Calcutta India. He uses 150 pound test,wrapping it about 10 times on the end of the pole.He lets that drop about 5 feet,places a barrel swivel and from there he attaches approximately 5 feet of 100 pound test.Then he,peels out another 5 feet of 50 pound,then 5 feet of 20 pound test. He uses a bobber made out of strofoam and a small bebe weight. Then he uses a small ball of the old BJ fish bait. Throws it out and claims to really get a mess of fish. It was very interesting for me to listen to him talk.Thought I'd pass on what he told me. I haven't heard of canepole fishing since I was a little girl,so it was intriging for me to talk about his fishing.:big_smile:~~~~~~Sister Pat

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That is interesting,Pat. I would love to fish with someone that used the old ways ,even just once.

3. justaredneck

justaredneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    that does sound interesting. old timers are always a wealth of knowlage because sometimes there is no substitute for life experience. and i think i will try that, it sounds like a perfect setup to start my 2 yr old son to start with. i havent thought about a cane pole in years i just remember when i was very young my grampa used to take me fishing with those. thanks for a good post and a trip down memory lane i forgot about until now.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Pat that does bring back memorys for me aswell think i just might have to get me one to catch bait with just for the fun of it thanks for the post

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I must be getting old. Every bait shop when I was a kid had a barrel of cane/bamboo poles. You could spot those bait shops just by all those poles sticking up.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    He mentioned Calcutta poles. As I said it was when I was a little girl was the last time I ever used or even heard of fishing with a canepole. So when he mentioned Calcutta I just presumed it was a brand name. He corrected me,he said he gets these poles from Calcutta India. They have chambers in them which prevent water from getting inside of them and ruining them. He just purchased a 100 of them. Also he stated that he travels once a year down to OKlahoma and I believe he said it's the river that runs between the states of OK and ARK. He said he just slays the heck out of channel cats using BJ. I asked him what size of catfish. His responce was anywhere from 2 to 20 pounds.He has a fondness for children so he takes his big fish and puts them in water for children to catch. He stated that there is nothing like watching a youngster catch a big cat. I totally agree. I wish we of the BOC could all have been in a room with this gentleman,he knows so much about catfishing I can assure you it would make an interesting day for all of us. He had me so fired up about fishing that last night it was all I could do to fall asleep. I invited him to join BOC and gave him the correct website,he said he'd think about it.Sorry for such a long post,but thanks for reading.~~~Sister Pat:big_smile:

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    that brings back memories i cut my teeth on cane poles boy we came a long ways:wink:

8. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Pretty interesting....

Only thing about his setup was I'm pretty sure the old-timers didn't use 100lb test:smile2: Anyhow, thanks for sharing, I'm open to do anything that'll catch a mess of channels as long as it doesn't involve dynamite or using a crank phone :wink:

9. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I used to wade fish years ago with A calcutta pole but after a couple of hours you was beat . They were so heavy that after a few hours you had to take a break ! Fished the slab at Lake Tawakoni during spawning season . I am sure some of you Texas boys know the place.I live about a 1/2 mile from it.:crazy:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Calcutta cane is different than any cain we grow in the states. Its extremely strong and heavy. It grows to several feet long. I have seen up to 20 foot. A few years back when snagging was poplar at Ky Dam I saw some Tenn. men make their snagging rods out of calcutta cane. They would cut the pole with hacksaws to the legal snagging length. Then add the eyes and tip with tape. I never seen one of them brake when being used for snagging.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I didn't know there was any thing but cane poles untill i was about grown The only people who had rod/ reels were rich folk I read about in feld and stream

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Interesting post PK.Did he by chance say where he buys those cane poles .Had never heard of them till now.

13. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I understood him correctly,he stated he orders his poles from India. He came across to me as being somewhat of a wealthy man. He sure loves to fish,gave me some good tips:wink::big_smile:pat