I may have stumbled on to something!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CBH, Jun 24, 2006.

1. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Went to a local river last night for a few hours, and I may have stumbled onto something that you may want to try during the spawn.
    We set up 4 rods with cut and live bluegills, tossed them to various depths and set back, waiting for a run. After about 3 hours without a hit, it finally dawned on me that most of the fish activity that we were seeing was fairly close to the shore. I rigged up a slip bobber about 3' above a piece of cut 'gill, and tossed it not anymore than 15' from the bank, directly in front of me. About 1/2 hour passed and the bobber "kerplunked" out of site, I set the hook, felt the fish for a second, then reeled in an empty hook! I rebaited with a fresh piece of 'gill, tossed back out to the same spot, laid the pole down and started to walk to the truck for something when my buddy says, "The bobbers under!", then I heard the clicker taking off. I was already up the hill a ways, so I told him to get the fish. (It was this banged up little flattie in the photos). I rebaited the hook, tossed it back out, just slightly further down stream but still close to the shore, and about 1/2 later the bobber once again disappeared. I set the hook and felt a very strong fish on the other line, but afer a short battle it pulled off.
    We had to get back home ,it was getting late, but I think that I'll go try the bobber thing again this evening!!

Attached Files:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Flatheads come to the shore to feed at night. No matter what time of the year. That is what I have found anyway. Good luck on the water and good post.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Very interesting read. How did you set up your rig. You said you had your bobber out for 1/2 hour, and then said you set one down unattended, yet you were at a river. Even on my slow rivers I cannot hold my bobbers in place, which is why I rarely use them at the river when I am bank fishing.
    How do you get them to hold in one location without crossing over your bottom lines?

Thanks in advance.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Try a 24" leader (flourocarbon)with a 5/0 or larger kahle hook snelled.Try a inline float on the leader about 4 or 5 inches from the hook. Go with as little weight as possible and wait for the bite, then set the hook. Good luck next time!

Welcome to the BOC! Chris.

5. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    The area that we were at had a very, very slow current. I tossed the bait out on the downstream side of the other rods, and it just slowly drifted towards the bank. I left the reel in freespool, with the clicker on. I didn't leave the rod unattended. My buddy was setting about 6' from it.

6. That sounds like a bend on a local creek I have fished. The outside bend is nearly vertical and undercut. When they are spawning I have had real good luck drifting a bait under a float right up against the bank. This is mostly during the day though since I have difficulty using a float at night due to not being able to see it. Funny thing about that creek bend is that I would have to drift it into that spot from downstream. There was an eddy there that curled around and pulled water opposite from the main current. On that same bend I would also use a float to hang a bait right at the break of the bar on the inside of the bend. This was a cast, drift, reel in, cast type situation due to the current. If I could hit the seam just right I could get a good drift right along the break and usually hook up.
    Because of this when they are on spawn I look for bluff banks, undercut banks and other vertical banks that may have holes or other spots that hold cats.

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Hmmm... if somethink kept stealing your bait.. without u being able to hook it, spawning season, bobber.... real good chance it was gar... it sure sounds like it.. but nice fish!

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've had similar luck catching smaller flatheads in the 5-10lb range under floats. Most of them have been caught on 4" live bluegills or sunfish though, have never tried cut bait for them. Have done well with cut bait under a float for channels though.

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Opinion

From what I've seen on the cats and most other fish is that they PREFER the bait passing by and moving on a bobber. It is rare for me to fish with a bobber for the Flats but I just know what the fish show me!

:go:

10. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good looking fish!!!!!

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just by the by - the marks on that fish's head look like a bite to me. Like another flattie had him by the head and let go after a bit.

Match the shape of those patches to the shape of the tooth patches in a flatheads mouth.

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    very good point brother!!!!!

chris we too fish the bobber rig but with ballons. it is a very good tool for a new local too.

13. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    There's a lot of bottom structure where I fish. The activity is high, but so is the snag rate. A float seems to be the answer. Since I bank fish mostly, the solution has been challenging. I am considering using a second rod with a heavy weight that will serve as a downrigger type anchor for the rod with the float. I figure an attachment via a rubber band should do the trick to connect the two. My only concern is that the anchor line becomes another snag source. Plus, it's more crap to carry in. Your thoughts?

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Thanks Spencer, that is why I posted in the first place. I am toying with the idea of a 3 way swivel where I have a bobber then the 3 way withe a short "leader" per se for the live or cut bait and a 2 foot section of 8-10 lb line underneath to "anchor" the bait. I have no idea if it would work or if it would just become a nest. Ideas?

15. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    yeah, slip bobbers work great if the current allows you to use them, but don't get discouraged if you miss a lot of fish cause it seems that it works really well on gar too, so if you get missed strikes don't get discouraged, check your bait for punctures by the gars teeth, its a great way to catch flatties especially in really snaggy areas, i was just sayin if you get missed strikes, it seems that it is gar here, maybe not in your neck of the woods but we have problems with them, good luck

16. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    o and shawn, what you are talkin bout works really well in a slower current, all you really need is about a 12 inch leader and the slow current will keep it off your main line with a slip bobber, but i try to keep the weight at 1 oz or so cause it seems the heaver you get the more likely you are to get snagged, and i have rigged my rods with a smaller piece of noodle instead of a balloon or float, i sorta designed it after the way people were jugging, it works well, a piece of reflective tape or a glowstick will keep you on your toes

17. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    and spencer, i think it works better about the snags because when you reel in instead of dragging along the bottom, with a slip bobber the bait and sinker come straight up to the surface, the line slides through the bobber and lifts it straight up, i'm no means an expert at this, ive just grown to like this way, if anybody has got a better way please dont hesitate to correct me

18. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Chris, Last Sat-nite we were crappie fishing in 30 ft of water, I ALWAYS take 2 down rods for cats. We were 40 ft from a rock bank and I baited the cat rods for my grandaughter with 1/2 of a 8in crappie . she caught 8 catfish from 4lb to 10lb and the 9th fish was a 22lb4oz flathead. she was having a blast. that was her biggest catfish ever........ the fish were about 4 ft off the bank.........steve