I May Have Hooked Some Kids.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by fr8dog, Aug 9, 2008.

1. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    Wife and I were out last night and we were nailing channels. We kept 8 around 3-4#. I was packing up, when 3 kids (8 or 10 yo) came by and looked in the bucket. They started asking how, what, etc... Since the fish were going crazy, I said they could use my stuff to catch one fish each. I baited them up, cast out and then talked them through it. First 2 got 3's. Third kid got a 6! They were excited!! I strung them up, and off they went back to their campsite. Well, I finally get my stuff back to the truck when one comes up and says "Mister, do you know how to clean them?" So there I am, on the tailgate, filleting them. The whole time, the little guys are looking at the rods, reels, and the other stuff. I ended up doing another lesson on knot tying, sinkers, hooks.... Their parents are going to hate me! $$$$ Hopefully these guys go on to keep fishin'.

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    That was a good thing!

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Way to go Steve reps to ya.

4. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats all that matters, at least you got them hooked on something they can use positively all thier lives instead of gettin hooked on drugs or something along those lines. Im sure thier parents wont mind:wink:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a very good thing that you have done. Congrats and thank you for teaching these young men to fish

6. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Those boys wont forget that, a total stranger showing them how to fish and clean them. Hopefully they will return the favor, later in life.....reps to you

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Reps to you on doing a great deed ,It makes ya feel good ,dont it.

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    That is a great thing you did and belive me mom and dad will thank you too lol now they can have sat -sunday's to them self's lol Fish on

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats a big rep for you. You hooked the parents also, They just dont know it yet. Thats what its all about. :wink:

10. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    WTG I try to help out kids when I can.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    You left a mark in them kids life that can never be erased. Reps to ya if i had the juice and welcome to the BOC.

12. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A few years back I was night fishing below Keystone, this older fellow and his 6-7 year old grandson were camping, and came down to to where I was fishing, it was late in the evening and the night before I had caught over 40 cats weighing from 1 to 40 lbs, I was just down there to have some fun.

I was using a 13 ft and 10 ft surf rod, about the time they walked up I hung one that weighed about 10 lbs, I set the hook and handed the kid the pole. I guess he had never been fishing, we lost that one, so I explained he had to keep the rod tip up and pump it, I wore that little fellow out that night. He didnt catch anything over 15 lbs that night, but I think we ended up catching about 25, sometimes we would have 2 on at a time, they finally left me at about 2 in the morning. I gave them 3 fish that night and released the rest. The older fellow asked me if I was going to be back down there that he was definately going to have to give fishing a try. I guess he went out and bought some rods, I couldnt make it the next night but meet up with them 2 days later. They werent doing to good, the gear they had wasnt really suited for the fishing. This time I let the older fellow catch a few. I am sure they were hooked.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve that is a great job. Your stopping to share your experience with the kids will be everlasting and just might keep those kids from ending up in street gangs and etc. Reps to you.

14. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats awesome. Its nice to hear stories like that. Kids these days really need something to enjoy that doesnt involve video games or partying. They will never forget that.