I May Be Moving Around The St. Charles Area.where Is A Ramp To Put In At?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TEAM CATTER, Apr 30, 2006.

1. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I MAY BE TO MISSOURI.WHERE DO I GO TO PUT IN ON THE MISSOURI RIVER.:tounge_out:

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Team catter. There is a ramp in downtown old St charles and there is the ramp at the columbia bottoms just of of RT 270 right before you get the bridge on the MO side. Turn north and follow the signs.

That is the two I know about.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: WELCOME TO MO. IF YOU MAKE IT HERE. IF YOU GO APPROX 6 MI. SOUTH ON 94 YOU'LL FIND A PUBLIC ASSEC ON LEFT SIDE OF 94. TAKE THAT ROAD APPROX 1 MILE DEAD ENDS AT MO. RIVER AND RAMP. PRETTY GOOD AREA.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey, TEAM CATTER, if you're moving to the St. Charles area, you will not have any problem finding a boat ramp. There is a boat ramp off of N 2nd street in the city limits of St. Charles. It's right under the I-70 bridge... there is another one south of US 40/61 off of Hwy 94 @ the Weldon Spring Conservation Area, it's next to the Busch Wildlife Area. There is another one further south on Hwy 94 as well closer to Augusta it's called Klondike. All of these are a short drive from down town St. Charles.

Now if you want to put in on the Mississippi, there are dozens of Marinas on the north end of st charles county. some charge to launch and some don't. there are a few places up there however that don't, like the county park, Hide Away Harbor, it's a public park and has two great ramps onto the miss. Let me know if you want any other places over there in St. Charles as I'm VERY familiar with the area.

Good Luck!!

5. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Is the current fast on the mo. river.:eek:oooh:

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I fish the missouri primarily...but have spent lots of time on the mississippi as well...if you think that the mississippi river is swift then yes, the missouri is fast. I'm not sure what your definition of fast is...I personally feel that it isn't, although I grew up in montana white water rafting:big_smile: The missouri is just like any other body of water...the moment you stop respecting it...that's when somebody gets hurt.:eek:oooh:

7. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Missouri River runs 4-7 mph depending on where you're at. Blanchette Landing is best in St. Charles.

8. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    ANYONE HAVE TIPS ON SPOT ON THE MO RIVER.:big_smile:

9. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    columbia bottoms is a good ramp, its right at the confluence of the missouri and mississippi so you have the option of fishing either one
    or both, as far as spots on the missouri there is really no bad spots
    when the timing is right. youll mostly be fishing areas associated with
    the dykes, such as the holes and flats around them, that makes it pretty simple. there are wing dykes as far as you can see on the mo, so if you hit as many of them as possible your bound to run into some fish(time
    providing).if you do that for a while you can sort of see how they react to the ambient conditions and water level and cut down your search time some. no need to spend any significant on one piece of structure, if they are feeding they will take your bait quickly if it is in their near proximity.so far this week if i set up and theyre feeding in that spot youll know in about 10 or 20min so your best bet would be to cover as much structure as possible. my favorite structure are the wing dikes with a good wood pile on
    them you can pull blues and flatheads out of the same general area, ive caght both this week from the same spot just different bait positioning.
    notched dykes are great too they provide another good ambush point for the catfish. also live bait is what is producing for me at the moment(blues too) so if you got a cast net and know how to use it,dont hesitate. trying to keep a livewell full of shad alive is more trouble than anything but the less fish the easier it is. you can always go gets some more with a few throws of a net. just my 2 cents sorry for rambling.

GOOD LUCK

10. Jwilli5883

Jwilli5883 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, MO

You all make is sound easy to catch shad. My partner and I have been using a trow net around mainly L dykes on the Missouri and coming up with nothing. Well, we did catch a couple tiny channels. Not one Shad yet.

What am I doing wrong?

11. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I haven't fished the Mo.,but Ifished another rivers.I throw on the flat or on edge of the eddies.

12. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    If you fish at night try a floating light. The shad will school around the light net them or use a umberall net to pull them up. You can catch skipjack this way to.If you don't catch or see shad move and try in another spot.No shad probablity no cats.:0a26:

13. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    josh, as long as you can throw a net you can get them pretty easy. i try not to throw aroud the dykes for fear of falling off of my deck and into the river. if you can find a small creek or slough, go in there to get your shad. during the morning and evening they are chock full of bait. usually most of them move out some time during mid day, but there will always be some hanging around. the small creeks and such also give you an advantage being on smaller water, the fish cant spread out as much and get away
    making it easier and less time consuming load up.
    by the way it the reason you may have not gotten shad yet around the dykes could just be your net. if its fairly deep (over about 10ft) you may just need more weight on your net. if it sinks to slow the shad will outrun the net. but thats just a thought. try out some creeks its alot easier

14. Jwilli5883

Jwilli5883 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, MO
    Thank you for the information. We are going to Brunswick in a week or so to fish the Grand and the Missouri. Hope to come up with some bait. Cant wait to try the info thats been provided.

Thanks again

15. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Might be moveing to the St. louis area was wondering what are good areas to live with a small town feel, and maybe even close to some good fishing

16. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    small town feel might find you just on the other side of the river in illinois. this side (st louis city) doesnt offer much in that area, but 10-30 minutes east you can find some smaller towns that might fit your customs.

17. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    TEAM CATTER,

Welcome!
    Look at Defiance and Augusta in St. Charles County. Not far from civilization and three ramps very close on the mighty Missouri. I fish them all the time. Not many fisherman either. Lot of shad up the creeks around there too.
    Good luck,

18. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    THANKS BILL:big_smile: