I Loved You Enough

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Some day when my children are old enough to understand the logic that motivates a parent, I will tell them:

I loved you enough to ask where you were going, with whom, and what time you would be home.

I loved you enough to insist that you save your money and buy a bike for yourself even though we could afford to buy one for you.

I loved you enough to be silent and let you discover that your new best friend was a creep.

I loved you enough to make you take a Milky Way back to the drugstore (with a bite out of it) and tell the clerk, "I stole this yesterday and want to pay for it."

I loved you enough to stand over you for two hours while you cleaned your room, a job that would have taken 15 minutes.

I loved you enough to let you see anger, disappointment and tears in my eyes. Children must learn that their parents aren't perfect.

I loved you enough to let you assume the responsibility for your actions even when the penalties were so harsh they almost broke my heart.

But most of all, I loved you enough to say NO when I knew you would hate me for it. Those were the most difficult battles of all. I'm glad I won them, because in the end you won, too.

:misdoubt:

:0010:

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Someday maybe they will understand , it's hurtful to teach our kids sometimes , but we do them no favors by not doing so .

3. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    those are some profound words. thanks for sharing that. ive always said doing what is right is not always easy if it was everyone would always do the right thing. even more true with raising kids.

4. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    Thanks Ace, I needed that reminder... with 2 kids aged 3 & almost 2, it's very challenging, but It's worth it in the end!
    Lisa

5. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Nice...Thanks for sharing

6. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    That's great, Ace. I really enjoy reading your posts. You really now what matters in life. Thanks for sharing, man!!