I LOVE SNAPPING TURTLES

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by low desert jonathan, Dec 12, 2009.

1. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Especially in a 20 gallon pot with Onions, Celery, Potatoes, Ockra, Tomatoes and Salt and Pepper simmered overnight served with hot corn bread on a cold winters day to warm my belly up. Can't find that in a market? :big_smile::smile2::wink:LDJ

2. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I just can't bring myself to cleaning one:embarassed: I hate messing with them, my kids hate em, they have that smell, just don't care for em, but if someone else fixes them, I'm OK with eating them:crazy:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You may be loving them a little too much. Some of these "snapping" turtles are on the endangered species list. For the fine you'd pay, you could fly to France and sample all their wonderful food firsthand.

4. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    some of them turtles are good eatin, but back home in pa my dads been havin a problem lately with gettin sick eatin em as well as whoever else eats em, any ideas why? seems to be the last 3 turtles he had, all of em before that was fine, could it be difference in preparation maybe?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  5. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    What snapping turtle besides a alligator snapper is on a endangered list anywhere in the United States? Tell Me! :crazy::eek:oooh: LDJ

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm glad folks find them tasty, but I wouldn't get up out of the electric chair to eat one of those nasty, stinkin' creatures! :wink::smile2:

Bill in SC

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have no idea as to what all creatures are on the endangered species list. But, when I see an open post as yours, which did not mention the alligator snapping turtle, I simply chimed in with an observation hopefully for other peoples benefit. I would hate for them to pay a fine because they thought any turtle was fair game. If they research they subject, then do it, it is on their own head. Same as those who violate game regulations, or fishing regulations...they have a chance to be illegal or illegal. It is their choice.

Here is a link you can research.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20030519/turtle.html

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  8. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    in ga. alligator snapping turtles are on the threatened list.
    The common snapping turtles are'nt.

9. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT New Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    The question is do snapping turtles love you:eek:oooh:

10. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    This is from FAQ /FWC - Florida.....

The new rule prohibits the take, transport or possession of any imperiled species of freshwater turtle listed as a species of special concern, threatened or endangered, including alligator snapping turtles, Barbour's map turtles or Suwannee cooters.

The rule prohibits the taking of Escambia map turtles, cooters and common snapping turtles, since they look similar to other species that are listed as imperiled. This measure is necessary to prevent the taking of listed species because they could be confused with a similar non-listed species.

11. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Might try seasoning with 4 day old roadkill. What type wont matter much. Just make sure you get it off the black top in August.

Eating turtles.........Id rather squat under the north end of a south facing Bull with its tail helled high in the cool spring air & take a shower.

12. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    High mercury content in the water...not throughly cooked...Ate a terd...uhh not let soak in salt water long enough to kill all bactieriea...