I love Sept Geese

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Paraguayguy, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I love Sept Geese. Not Cold, young tender good eating birds, readily decoy the first time you hunt them,,,,,,then its work just like their migrating cousins from Canada. We, (3 guys) had 5 different groups come in the Athletic fields between 6:30-7:30 AM. Got 12 and should have gotten 24. I couldn't resist the group picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Nice hunting , I think after the residential hunt the farther south you are the tougher it gets.I guess I would be a little wiser after being shot at from Canada all the way to Kentucky myself.
    Anyhow great pic and thanks for sharing.

3. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wow. What a hunt. What is the limit for early goose season over there? Missouri is only 3. I wish it were more.

4. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I tasted goose for the first time last year. I was really surprised at how good it was. Thanks for the pic and good luck with the rest of your season!

5. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    We get ten birds a day per person during the early season in VA. The state must hate them pretty bad. It was five birds a day until this year.

6. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Crying the blues once again! Located several hundred geese in a field yesterday, we had also gotten premission to hunt the field in years past. Planned on hunting them this morning but could not get in touch with the land owner yesterday or last night. Hope they hang around untill we can get in touch with the land owner and are able to go. The limit was increased to 15 this year, last year 8, and the year before the limit was 5. For this year they also do not require your gun to be pluged, are allowing eletric callers, and extended the shooting hours to 30min after sunset. For the early season. And I have yet to kill any thus far? I also missed out on a good dove shoot this afternoon due to work, was told a flock of around 15 geese came into the dove field late this afternoon. GOOD LUCK

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    man that must be awesome to shoot geese right now! we have to wait till november. we have resident birds too, but no one complains enough about them to get us a hunting season...

8. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Give those resident birds a few more years and the great state of Texas will be putting a bounty on Resident Canada Geese. When I was a boy we had a resident flock of around 1,000 or so around Charlottesville VA. I lived an hour south and we had nothing. Now we have a flock that the state says is 250,000 but I think is way bigger. They are everywhere and many on unhuntable places so they can live and breed like rats. There is not a single body of water here in VA that isn't covered up with geese now. I marinated four of the geese yesterday in Orange Juice, oil, and pepper. I just got through putting split cored Jalapeno peppers on them and wrapped in Bacon. Going on the grill as soon as I type this. Lunch is served!:big_smile:

9. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Grilled Goose Breast with Jalapeno Pepper wrapped in Bacon. Medium heat ten minutes on each side. Goose was marinated 24 hours in Orange Juice, Garlic, black pepper, soy sauce , sesame oil, and brown sugar.

Attached Files:

10. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Thats the same way I cook my geese. I use a different marinade but cook em the same. Boy does that taste good.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i do geese, doves, and pheasants that way too. it's the only way to fly! this year i am going to do a couple wild turkeys like that.

12. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    Nice job, man do those geese look tasty...

13. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    We have found that soaking the meat a day or 2 in salt water in the refrigerator then ageing the meat 5 to 10 days is good. We also cut the breast into bite size peices before cooking and pop a time or two with a meat tenderizer then shake some Richards meat seasoning on the meat. Have also found that it's better to ONLY marinate the BACON. And just season the meat. The bacon marinade is 1 part cooking oil, 1 part red wine vinagar, and 1 part worcestershire sauce. Wrap the marinated bacon around the bites hold on with toothpick and sometimes add jalapeno slices and or onion slices. Put on grill and as soon as the bacon is done its ready, if over cooked the meat will get a little chewy. Some good eating! And one of the many good ways we have found to cook goose. Just thought I would share the tip. GOOD LUCK!

14. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    Almost the same way that we do it. Just throw in some Cracker Boy seasoning on top and you got it made. My papaw always said that was the only way to cook a goose or duck and when it was done eat the bacon and give the goose to the dog...:roll_eyes:

15. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Well more bad news on my part! The geese used the field every day this week, we got in touch with the land owner and he is still OK with us hunting. Show up to hunt Sat. and you guessed it did'nt even see a goose? Well I'll take that back did see the rippes and outline of some geese roosted on a lake on the way to the field. Heard are few honks away off in the distance. The only good theroy I can come up with on what happened is that the field that the geese were useing a bush hogged wheat field raked up for hay adj. to a tobbaco field that had been picked sometime between Fri. am and Sat. am? The farm workers may have flushed the geese when working? Or they my have been there in the afternoon when the geese were also comeing to the field and flared up and left? I had to work Sat. and missed out on a decent dove shoot in the afternoon once again as well! I guess I'm PAR FOR THE COURSE! LOL!

16. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Thats not right Kenneth ! I sure do love grilled goose. I would pick goose over steak anyday if cooked right. Our early season opens the 26th of this month with the limit of three. :sad2:

17. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I haven't tried this mixture before, How much garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce and brown sugar do you use.

18. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    I put probably 3 parts Orange Juice, 1/4 part cooking oil, 1 part soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, sesame oil, and brown sugar to taste. I stick my finger in it as I am making it and when it tastes good. Its right. I like mine a little on the sweet side. Enjoy.

19. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I am going to try that, Wow sounds better than the Italian dressing I have been using