I love lunch! - Access Controlled Catfish Pond

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by skeetermagnet, Sep 17, 2007.

1. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I really love the lunch hour! My sister just moved into a gated condo community just down the street from my office. And her condo sits on the pond! With the code memorized, my buddy and I have been making fishing trips during the lunch hour.

Some of the residents told us that there were some big catfish in there, but sometimes the word 'big' is pretty relevant. We had caught several 1lb fish. Well, lately, we've been figuring out what big means. My buddy has been broken off twice now. On Thursday, his rod took a running leap into the pond, never to be seen again. Last week I caught a 5lber. It was a nice fight.

Today, I thought I had hooked another turtle. We've caught a few of those already. But turtles don't pull like that. It ended up being the slightly younger brother of the one I caught the other day. About 4 lbs. I threw out again and not 10 minutes later the rod was bent over. I set the hook into a nice fish. It took about 10 minutes to land and ended up being 26inches. About 10lbs as best as I could figure. Nice healthy channels.

I'm not sure what they are eating in there, but I know that we have caught all of ours on hotdogs. The perch wouldn't leave the worms alone long enough for the catfish to find them. So we started using a little half inch section of hotdog on a treble hook. Today we even used some leftover hotdogs from a cookout this weekend and they took those, too.

I love lunch! :big_smile:

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Yep! pondside lunches are the best!

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    A gated, access controlled catfishing pond, sounds like a small slice of heaven for lunch time :smile2:

4. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Ohhh...don't you know it Paul! :wink:

While we are waiting between bites we perch fish. So far we have caught at least 3 different kinds of what we call perch, a couple of crappie that were each over a pound, a few lmb, and even a shad about 4 inches.

There has been a rare skunk day, but I'd still rather be there than in the office! :big_smile:

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jamie, I couldn't do it. Even if there was a pond right in the middle of my jobs parking lot. Once I started fishing, that would be it for the day. My boss would wind up coming out and dragging me kicking and screaming back to work.

6. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    If you are catching that many fish I would some Danny Kings punch or take some of your bluegills and cut them up may result in larger fish let us know the results thanks

7. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    There have been a couple of days that we had to sneak back into the office. It is hard to do with a couple of rods in your hand. But ya do what ya gotta do!:wink:

Bill, I didn't even think about DK! That would be awesome with a slip bobber. I may use one of my katbobbers.

8. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Here in the City of Tulsa we have many stormwater retention ponds which were all stocked with bass, bluegill, and channel cats in the mid 80's to early 90's. Very few people fish them and those that do mainly target the bass or panfish. I know a guy who caught a 26 lb channel cat out of the pond just south of 11th and Mingo on a cut bluegill, smack dab in the middle of a city park. Channels aparently can do quite well in ponds. Hope you catch the fish in that pond that is the legend of the condominiums. :big_smile:

9. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    We went out today at lunch again. What a beautiful day! I'm always amazed at what a beautiful creation God made!

The little perch-peckers were taking bait as fast as we could get it in the water. My buddy had caught a little eater, which we threw back, when a big perch started pecking on mine. I set the hook and snagged a log. Then the log took off like a rocket. It only took about two seconds for it to break my brand new Stren 12lb line. I didn't see it, but it was big. Actually, it is a little bigger now than it was this afternoon :wink:

I'm going back tomorrow armed with a beefier rod and 20lb line. I'm on a quest now. And I'm taking the camera with me, too

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Go get 'em Jamie!!!! Don't forget to post pics!