I love America, but....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Feb 5, 2008.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have had threads on user names and occupations, but there is one discussion that I don't know that has been brought up to the folks who inhabitate this place. If previously asked , someone will surely let us know.

Over the years of existence on this planet I have been curious about peoples "Etymology" That is the study and interpretation or history of your surname. Your last name. Many people have an idea of how and who and for what reason your parents gave you your first name, Uncle Joe, Aunt Jane, Great Grandpa Frank or some current popular movie star or druggy, but many don't know the derivation or meaning of their last names.

In my case my last name is Slovak in origin. My fathers side was 100 % Bohemian. They go back to when Atilla the Hun ransacked Eastern Europe. It means "little ram". My Mother's side was Welsh. Her maiden name was "Tarr" her family started out way back when tarring and caulking sea going wooden vessels in England, those folks were called "Tars" who did that.

My first wifes Dad was German, her mother was off the boat Italian. My second wifes father was off the boat Italian in 1945. He speaks fluent Italian but refuses to do so publically because he is an "American" as he says. His surname means "The Rose". Her mother was English. I think she is as old as the current Queen if not older.

I see names on here I am curious about. Especially Southern names, Calhouns, etc. Western names, like McMurtry. Bert McGhee where the he$$ did you get the name McGhee?

Google up "Surname" sometime. It is amazing the things you can find. Even if you don't post something I think you might be surprised at what you find.

So, I love America and I am an 'Merican, but it is nice to know where I came from.

John.

2. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know, I'll have to look it up later. Gotta go to work now.

I do know that while my kids were doing the family tree for a school project that every name we ran across was German.

My maiden name was BREID, Mom's- Frey, Grandma's- Lautinschlager (not even sure that is spelled correctly)

Can't remember the rest right now. Will be back with more later.

I can't go back very far on 1 side cause my great-grandma came off the orphin train and knew nothing about her history, so we were always told.:confused2:

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    De Burun is the name it started with and they were Scandinavians-Norsemen. The De Burun's got to England by joining up with William the Conqueror in 1066 when he invaded England. After some years in England, where the De Burun's stayed after the invasion, they changed their name to Byroms or Byrons. In 1696 the Byroms came to American. These Byroms slowly changed their name to Byrum, why know one seems to know. Notable linkage of the De Burun's/Byroms/Byron are: Lord Byron, the poet; John Byrom (1692-1763), was an English poet of universal note. He was the orginator of a successful shorthand system which was copyrighted in 1742. The sheriff of Nottingham was a Byrom, another one was sheriff of York around 1080. The Byrom's came came to American were given a land grant by the King of England and it was quite a large sum. Other notable ancestors were: Sir John de Byron of Clayton, Knight and Baron in 1307; Sir Richard Byron, Lord of Cadney, Lincolnshire and Clayton; Sir James Byron, knighted in 1343; Sir John Byron, Sheriff of Notthingham in 1578 and one of his sons, sheriff in 1612; and a bunch of other Lords, second and third. Most of my ancestors in America were farmers, circuit riders selling booze, etc., and just regular people.

All of the foregoing is accurate back to the Dooms Day Dairy. My legal name is McAuley Carnavious Byrum, Jr. and my father was one of the few that left farming to become a law enforcement officer (NC State Hight Partrol from 1941 to 1976).

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm a "MUTT" LOL! Where I came from is not important to me. Its where I'm goin, how I get there and who I take with me that counts.:wink:

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We all know where you are going George. Can I go too!

John.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If I get there first I'll save ya a seat in a cool spot. LOL!:wink:

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey John,
    That's a good point, I'm going to have to look that up one day. All I know is that I was name after my Dad, so I'm a junior, but just knowing ware that name started will blow me away.
    :crazy:

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We have a whole series of T-shirts.:smile2:

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    My last name comes from the surname O'Ryan, I don't know when they changed it to just Ryan my sister has all of that information that she was looking up. Like George tho I'm a mutt, Ive got the obvious Irish, some German and Welsh over the lineage.

Once I get the money together for other stuff and if I ever have extra :smile2: I plan on getting my Family crest tattooed on my back. That is a couple of years away tho.

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good Post John,Well Myself and being of Slovak background like You My last name means Maggpie (A black Bird) Perty Neat woulden't Ya Say. Also one Other Tidbit of Info You might find interesting is Adam Eves Husband from the Garden of Eadan Last Name was Straka,So That Means I'm related to All You Fine Folks.Now My Birthday is Aug.16th. So You all have Plenty of time to get Me something really Nice for My Birthday.:wink: J.D.

11. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    good thoughtfull post.

my mothers maiden name is DeNeefe. which ran into the toulmins along the way. DeNeefe is traced back to a small town in ireland called "DeNeefe" pronounced over there as "Diniff" toulmins? im not so sure about.

my old mans name and mine too harrison. thats about as American generic as you can get. except for the fact that it traces back (at least in our family) about 200 years ago to the poarch creek indian tribe of south alabama. where we were interbred with the rutherfords (irish) who "bred most of the indian tribe.

interesting family fact for me and the generations below me. on my mothers side was a toulmin who survived the indian massacre at fort mimms al. on my fathers side was an indian "william weatherford (they started spelling it rutherford about 100 years ago) a.k.a. "red eagle" the crazy bastard that jumped his horse off of horse shoe bend. he was attacking.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Im second generation American. My fathers side, our last name is Daw. Its english and my cousin has traced it back to the great crossing (mayflower) they werent on the flower but on one of its companion ships. On my mothers side which I identify myself the most with, My grandparents came to America from Norway. Nilsen is the family name from my moms side. The name goes back to when you used to be known from your kin. ex. Scott, son of Catherine, daughter of Nils....... Nilsen is son of Nils. My grandfathers name was Nils Nilsen (I think I have his spelling right,Im at work, cant ask mom, he died before I was born). My Norweign side has the sea in their blood. Have several Norweign coast guard members and one is on an exploratory ship looking for oil off the coast of africa right now. I did get the Norweign family crest done but I couldnt get my fathers side done. Apparently, some family members when they came across the pond with the mayflower decided tochange the name sirname to Daw so we cant trace it back furthur.

13. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    my name says 100% irish but my heritage is Irish, German, Dutch, and Cherokee.

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    let me expand on that. i get my dashing good looks and size form the Dutch in me, i have the temper of a german, my dont quit attiture comes from the cherokee, and my love for alcohol come from the irish in me. :big_smile:

15. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Irving
    Usage: English, Scottish

Originally derived from a Scottish place name (near Dumfries, Scotland) meaning "green water".
    This is the the only thing so far I can find on my last name but I was informed from my mother the geneologist that the last name Irving is also German heritage.

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You certainly are a man for all seasons SSGT Joe. But can ya cut bait or just fish. LOL?

17. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    realistically:

i see blood line and heritage as being interesting. yet totally unimportant. sure its nice to have an idea of where you came from. but, at this point the majority of ppl in the states have been so watered down from thier original blood lines that it really doesnt matter. unless you have an inheritance coming. which unfortunately i dont. personally i like the idea of family history starting with me and going down the line from me on. i mean seriously, no matter who bred with who the important thing to remember about my family is that i am the greatest member. at least untill jr. pops out. then he can be the greatest member. i will never forget being a small boy and riding with my dad to the parts store to pick up an alternator. we ran into one of his cousins who i had never met. upon meeting him he looked at me and said "hey boy, you a harrison?" "yes sir" "well you just met the greatest that ever lived" "bullsh!t- you did" i said. it was the first time i didnt get a whoopin' for useing cuss words. and it basically summed up my feelings about it. the past is interesting... but, its still the past. what i am more concerned with is what and how i do things in my life and even more importantly what and how my children do things. we could name them dumb and dumber for all i care, as long as they do great things in a great way. (greatnest left to be determined at a later date)

18. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I see a lot of genealogy as well as etymology here this morning. BG and Jim that is genealogy, not gynecology that you are so familiar with. There will be a special course in gynecology in the new secret forum that is being made up as we speak. Who needs Politics or Religion when we got something we can sink our teeth into.

These other folks who have responded have found their "Roots" so to speak. It is nice to see your responses so far, thanks.

John DVM, FACOG and BS

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    That's pretty cool! I checked my last name and it says that the name was given to people who had hawk-like features and were fierce in nature! Suddenly my life makes so much more sense:smile2::smile2::smile2:!

20. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I don't know much about my heritage, to be honest. I know that Aunts have traced it all back, but I never really bothered with the details. All with the exception of my Aunt on my Father's side.
    My father grew up on the coast of NC, The Pamlico Sound to be exact. The people there speak with a very distinguishing accent, almost an old English accent. I love to hear them talk. The family geneology was passed on to me through a cousin. It's fairly complete, up to and including my own children. Talk about some inbreeding! It's hilarious. They are ALL related!
    Bottom line is that I'm most probably a direct descendant of a syphillis infected defected pirate from Blackbeard's ship.
    Yea.. I'm proud. :roll_eyes: