I Lost "The Big One..."

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Gibbzilla, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Last night out at the lake the bite was kind of slow but we were getting some channels in the 15-20 inch range on small chunks of cut-bait. On my heaviest duty rod & reel I had a large bluegill head on, and had the reel engaged in my rod holder. I was rigging up another rod that was a little lighter, and I heard clanging, and I look up and my rod is ripped clean out of the holder! None of the rod was touching the ground when I grabbed it. Fish on! He ran up underneath a boat house and was stripping drag like crazy. I was barely getting any cranking done, so I finally decided to just try to overpower him because I didn't want to lose my rig in a boat propellor. My line goes limp. :angry:

I tell my dad, "He's off." My dad looked like somebody had just stabbed him. :smile2:

I reel all my line in, and I realize my hook is off. My knot wasn't good enough. Grrr!

I can picture that big cat showin all his buddies his new piercing. Maybe I'll catch him one day, maybe I won't, but he was without a doubt the biggest I've had on my line this summer.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    there was a mine hole I used to fish when I moved to allentown where I caught my 2 personal best channels. one day I was playing around with a 4" gill and something took off with it like the channels did there. they'd run off with it then stop to swallow. well the 3 different times it happened to me, I'd be hooked up for no more then 30 seconds before my lines gets cut off. Line peeling off, no control. I know how he feels. Im actually tempted now to go back to that hole now that Im a serious catter with some cirle hooks and break the state record if its still swimming in that hole.

3. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    Hey if this makes you feel any better atleast the big one got on for a second. We havent even had the big one cruise by and smell our bait. We are getting skunked this year bad. Ole Whiskers has caught onto our fishing tactics.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I feel your pain brother, been there and done that

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats to bad, maybe u will get em next time.:smile2:

6. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Almost the exact same thing happened to me about 3 or 4 weeks ago Adrian. Not much fun, huh? Maybe youll get another shot. Good luck to you brother!!

7. luvforcatfish

luvforcatfish New Member

State:
    ms
    that is never any fun to lose the big one.

8. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I know especially since it wasn't that my line broke or something it was that my knot wasn't tight enough! :angry:

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Don't ya just hate when that happens?
    I bet your practicing knot tieing and if your not you should be.
    After all knots are usually the weakest link, so they need to be the best that they can be.

10. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Ouch that reminds me of how lucky me and a friend got last night. My buddy hooked into a big fish and it drug him into a log and it took a bout 15 mins to get it out of the log and it ended up being 20 lbs. Next time youll get it just tie ur knots better :cool2:

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    got to hate losing the big one. A couple times ago I was fishing by myself on the bank of a river, not catching a thing. I got hungry and went to my bag for a candy bar, turn around and my big ugly stick catfish pole was bent totally in half and almost going in to the water. Luckily I caught the pole, but missed the fish!

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I feel for you losing that big one, lots of time and effort go into fishing for large flats. From gathering bait to scouting locations and fishing different areas.
    So this seems like a good time to put out the word to all the new folks that have just started fishing for flats or would like to start targeting trophy size fish. A big flathead will expose ANY weakness in your tackle. I mean every piece of a setup. Hooks,line,swivels,knots,rod,and reel. If you are gonna spend the time and make the effort to try and hook one of these brutes you have to make sure everything you use is in good working order every time you cast out. You never know if tonite is the nite for that 50 or 70. So you might as well just think like every time you cast you are gonna hook one and prepare accordingly. Hooks must be strong and sharp,line and leader must be checked for nicks & scrapes and re-tied if any are found. Knots must be tight, rods must be strong enough to handle large fish, and your reel must be properly lubed and maintained and be of a size to handel heavy lines and powerful fish. Otherwise you will put in all that effort only to be dissapointed.

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Some excellent advice from S_man

Are there weak points to look for in braided line? I know the mono will sometimes get a kink in it.

14. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Least got a chance to to get hit. I was floating a piece of shad on a bobber during the day for about 2 hours and my pole went crazy so I lifted up and heard drag going like crazy then bam sudden stop and bent ( SNAG) got everything back and theres a hole in bobber from hitting rocks on the bottom.:angry:

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Any size braid will nick easily when rubbed over rocks, or the tooth pads on a catfish, and to a degree on wood. Just run your fingers along the last 4 or 5 feet any time you feel rocks or catch a fish. Any bumps you feel you gotta take a look at to see if its just some cat slime or bottom slime or if its a frayed spot. If its frayed cut and retie.

16. Capt. Hugh

Capt. Hugh New Member

State:
    VA
    I would have to agree with what Skip said ( except Jeff Gordon ) While filming the Catfishing America show I had a rod go down, before I could get to it, it made a surge like I have never seen and the rod holder exploded, you know the unbreakable kind, out the boat goes the holder, rod ( custom made Randy Harris ) and 7000C3, Eric says what was that,#*^&%$@(( come help me cast for my rod and reel, no luck, #$&^%^$& I know how you guys feel. Capt Hugh

17. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i feel your pain brother just lost one 2 days ago seems to be the bigest that iv ever had on he will be there the next time

18. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I had one two nights ago that broke new 30 lb test I had just put on. When I set the hook I thought it would just be in the 5-10 lb range, then my rod went down as I held it and the big ol' cat had me stumblin! :tounge_out:

Those kinda things are frustrating, but it just fuels your need to go catfishin.

19. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    SORRY ABOUT YOUR LOSE, BUT THATS WHY THEY CALL IT FISHING AN NOT CATCHING ,SO GO BACK OUT THERE AN KEEP TRYING AN MAYBE JUST MAYBE ONE DAY YOU WILL GET LUCKY AN LAND THAT BIG`O CAT:crazy: