I lost my pole.......

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by FordGuy2001, Sep 9, 2009.

1. FordGuy2001

FordGuy2001 New Member

State:
    Texarkana,Texas
    In the Red River.

My son and I went down to the Index bridge on Hwy 71 Monday morning. We pulled out a perfect little Blue Gill right off the bat, cut him and tossed it deep. I wasnt paying good enough attention to my pole. After I heard the click of it hiiting the rocks and the splash of it in the water, all I saw was a red streak of my reel heading out deep.:sad2:

What ever it was, it hit Hard and Fast on the bait.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    guess the big ones biting. Sorry about your pole, hopefully you can catch him and redeem yourself later!

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    DYNAMITE!!!!!!

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    sorry about the lesson that you learned. i have had that happen to me, and it only took once. gotta make sure you leave the bail open or the button pushed.

sorry about the pole though....

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Sometime even with clicker engaged ive had poles almost pulled in lol its great!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Expensive lesson. Sorry for the loss.

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sorry to hear the loss. Yeah man a 5-8 lber can do that if hes really crazy on the offering.:smile2:

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I hate the "now you see it, now you dont" trick. If I dont have anywhere to put my rod holders, I will use one clicker and hold my other pole. Happened to me once, and seen it happen a few other times. Its just a bad feeling, I know. Sorry about your pole, I know they arnt cheap.

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Darn Fish:angry: You might have got it back , If you could have gotten another rod with a drag hook and casted making a sweep of the area.

Sorry to hear about the loss.:sad2: I've seen it happen a few times :wink:

10. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Sorry to hear of your loss. In the 50+ years that I've been fishing I have actually gone swimming more times than I care to admit chasing down my fishing rod. Luckily I've gotten them all back. Even a few with the fish still on. It is even a bad feeling then 'cause you always look around to see who saw you go swimming after a fishing rod. :embarassed:

Ray

11. kingkat82

kingkat82 New Member

State:
    Central KS
    Sorry to hear, it happened to me once:embarassed:...had my pole set up down the bank a ways (in a pole holder no less) while we were catching more bait. I hear a really fast snap whirl sound of the rod/line catching/getting pulled really hard and looked up just in time to see my rig doing a zip up out of the holder and shoot directly into a perfect horizontal dive into the water! Happened like lightning. Sure as snot we ended up catching the ~6-7# channel w/ my rig/hook still attached an hour or two later!:crazy: Released what was later aptly called ScarTail(don't remember how it happened exactly but the back of the tail was ripped and bloody when landed) cause I caught her 3-4 more times over the years scar and everything else in tact:big_smile:

12. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Sorry to hear about the pole man. I've had a few pulled it, but went in right after them. Luckily I haven't actually lost one yet.

Once when I was younger I was falling asleep, rod in hand, and a fish pulled it right out of my hands into the water. About 20 minutes later my dad caught a catfish with a line attatched to it's mouth. I ended up getting that pole back too. :smile2:

13. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    dang kelly, maybe i'll catch that fish and rod down by garland city or doddridge sometime soon. :wink:

14. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    You should probably see a doctor about that. :crazy:

15. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I had that happen once in our pond when I was a kid, but it was my fathers pole. I was sitting right there, fishing while feeding the cats, and whoop, there it went. Talk about walk of shame... We actually caught that pole a couple of years later; however, there wasn't much left of it by them.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My perverse sense of humor tells me you didn't loose the pole, you gave it away. Even when drift fishing in the boat, I have the rod/reel in a pole holder and about 10 foot of nylon securing the rod/reel to some anchor point on the boat. I may loose the pole, but the darn boat is going under also. LOL

17. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    sorry to hear that.. had the same thing happen to me earlier this year.. had two poles out, one cheap the other my best one... which one do you think went in the river??

18. FordGuy2001

FordGuy2001 New Member

State:
    Texarkana,Texas
    Glad to see Im not the only one it has happened to. I tried the drag hook on another pole for a while with no luck. The pole itself was not an expensive rig. Only had about $20 in her,garage sale item, but its the principle of the matter.

I told my wife I was gonna go down there and catch a fish, put it under a bright light and beat it with a rubber hose til it told me where my pole was.

19. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    That's a freakin shame....:sad2: I will say there is some Big-Blues that hang around index....I battled a few of the monsters down there .... my last trip down there last year i lost one that would have been in the 60lb range:cry: Man i am still not over that one!!!LOL

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Same thing happened to me too. I feel your pain:wink: