I learned a very important lesson last night.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jlingle, Jul 11, 2006.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've got a buddy who works for a farmer. He drives a tractor and works cattle & such. He's one of those guys that you just love to be around, he's always positive and always happy to see you.... just a real joy to be around.

Anyway, it dawned on me last night why I like him so much and what's so special about him. He lives a very simple life, and he is content with what he does and what he has. He isn't always chasing after "the smiths" and he doesn't have to put himself into a financial bind just to have what someone else has. He's just happy being him, and he feels blessed to have his family and his job.

How amazingly simple. I think our country would be much better off if this attitude were more prevalent. Be content with what you have. Seriously, instead we're programmed by the commercials on tv to always "chase the american dream" and have both parents working fulltime jobs just to keep up with the neighbors that we don't like most of the time anyway. Wouldn't it be great to be content and not have to max out credit cards to make purchases that aren't necessary?

I'm as guilty as anybody, and I'm gonna change. I'm tired of chasing my tail and always thinking that I need more. It's silly. I'm very blessed to have a wonderful wife, great kids, and a rewarding job. I think I oughta start living like I appreciate what I have. Sorry if I've rambled.

2. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    that is a very good lesson to learn and a hard one to stick to. good luck.

3. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I was lucky to get that lesson from my parents. Of course it took quite a few years to realize it but I think I'm coming around. You are very right.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I learned to do this a long time ago but my exwife hasn't learned it yet. Notice I said exwife. I have no creditcards and only owe on my house and a used car. but I will surprise the salesman when I pay cash for a new truck.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Brother that is a great lesson to learn, you can not always keep up with the "Smiths". Alot of people can take a look inside themselves and change how they live.

6. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    Hey guys whats up

7. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree wholeheartedly that life would be alot better off if we all thought that way, my wife too has the new job wow the bills are paid lets spend all the money syndrome man will I be glad when that wears off. I do have to make one more big purchase and thats a car to get back and forth to work and back home to see the family. But then its time to save some I have everything one could want. A family, roof overhead and food in my belly.

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Man you are so right, now if I can just get my wife to agree.:big_smile:

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    My wife and I started doing just that about 12 years ago and now have more then we ever had and get to spend a lot of time together now. What time I ain't on the BOC.:roll_eyes:

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    You are soooooo right!

11. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My wife and i have lived like that since we got married 19 years ago. I t makes life alot simpler not having to compete with the people around you. I believe the word for that is "individualism".

12. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Went to a funeral today of a cousin... 23... died in a 4 wheeler accident.
    Sure does make you think about today....
    I sure do wish I could remember every single day to live as though it were my last.
    To say goodbye better... in case it's the last time... to say I love you a lot more... to kiss my wife everyday like there is no tommarow... and my kids.
    To play hard with them more, to care less about money, and my "stuff".

I know one thing for sure... It's ALL going to burn...the only thing left will be whats in my heart.. and that is the one thing I should be working on getting right, one breath at a time.

13. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The more things you own the more they own you. We end up being a slave to make a bigger paycheck in order to keep up with the Jones.

14. countrygirl0569

countrygirl0569 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree...I'm like that now, and even though I'm still young, I know that that part of me isn't going to change. I never had a lot growing up, and now as I get ready to go out on my own, I know that I don't need a big house with a convertable to be happy. Having just enough, is enough.:confused2:

15. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    thats a good train of thought for me to have while i troll through the early stages of adulthood. thanks for sharing your enlightenment.

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    brother you said a mouth full there. Myself I don't have any credit cards and don't want any . they are nothing but trouble. I don't have a whole lot,but you know what I've gat a good wife ,great kids,grandkids,roof over my head and so far at 62 I'm in pretty good health. What more do you want in life. EXCEPT THE DARN FISH TO BITE!!:roll_eyes:

17. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Some people will never learn that though. I mean sure there is plenty of stuff I want, but I'm not longing for a sportscar or anything like that. For the most part I'm content living my life and enjoying the outdoors as much as I can.

18. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks I needed to read that post Sir cause I'm so Guilty of that some times always chaseing that Buck It makes an old man out of you for shure. God bless Son. J.D.Straka P.S HANG ON TO THAT FRIEND SIR.

19. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    There's a saying "never confuse money with wealth" that I think applies here. Many of us are rich in different ways, but are too busy "chasing our tails" to notice.

20. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Jerrod.........if these are your "ramblings", RAMBLE ON brother!!! This is an excellent thread. People should learn this earlier in life, but sometimes it takes awhile to see what is right in front of you. Love reading your posts, buddy. How's the foot doing?