I learned a lesson this weekend

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kitsinni, May 27, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So this weekend I learned a valuable lesson. First on Friday night I was out fishing in a lake targeting Flats and I was using a huge circle hook with a large live shad on it. I had it suspended under on of those pool noodle bobbers that one of our BOC sponsor sells. This was one of the very large bobbers that would be really hard to take down I think it was an 8" or so King Kat bobber. I had my clicker set on that pole and figured any cat that tried to pull that bobber down would self hook. I caught about 8 cats that night but when that rig went off with that bobber on it, it went off in a way I had not heard before. This cat was dragging that HUGE bobber through the water faster than any of my other fish had pulled with no bobber on it and my clicker was screaming. I grab the the pole and go to pull it in and instantly snap my line!

You would think I would have learned my lesson there but no :(

Saturday I was out on the Ohio fishing next to a lay down tree that was extending pretty far in to the water. I had a large live bluegill sitting right next to that tree. I hear something hit my bait hard but it didn't run and it had me thinking Flathead. I looked at my friend and said "this is the fish I have been waiting for all night". Then it happens the fish starts to run I go to set the hook feel my pole double over and again instantly snaps my line. No undone knots just clean breaks.

Time to restring all my poles no more chances! Learn from my mistake brothers and don't take the chance!

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Niko, Thanks for the post and sorry you lost both fish they sounded like they would of been huge.

What kind of line are you using?? Is it old line or did you just put it on the reels.

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It was 25# big game which was from last year so it was my fault. It seemed fine and had no nicks or cuts and I cut off descent amount of it. From now on I am switching all my lines at the beginning of every season.

4. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    May want to upgrade to a 40lb. line also!
    Sorry you lost the fish!

5. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    And back off of the drag, sounds like you may have had your drag tightened all the way down. Drag should be set well below the breaking strength of your line.

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That was the odd thing I could pull drag out with my hand. Don't get me wrong I really had to pull but it should have been set way lower than the breaking point of the line.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the drag thing is , hard to learn, i set mine so wen the polle bends down to the ground the drag slips, pm patricgd, on this, he learned from a guide

8. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Did they both break on the pole with the bobber on it,, migh want to check the bobber where the line goes through it and make sure it is smooth,, kind of sounds like something in you set-up is cutting the line maybee..:eek:oooh:
    Or it might be old line, but I would not want you to loose another fish and not check it...:wink:
    Puddle
    also a broken ceramic guide on the rod can cut a line really quick...

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I'm guessing there is many circumstances to take into account on this ordeal. Old line, possibly, maybe the drag was set to tight, but your saying you could pull line freely of the reel. Yes, checks those line guides to for nicks. It's possible that the bobber could have some rough edges where the line feeds through. First thing I would do, is change the line out for some fresh and check the line guides on the rod.

Yep! We all learn lessons while we fish. Some good and some bad!! Be there done that!!:cool2:

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm going to check all my eyes and replace the line on my poles. I have had really good luck with 25# test and I like the way it feels so I would prefer not to move up, but if that is what it takes and the other things don't seem to be working I will try it. Funny thing is you get a snag on the same line and you can't break it off to save your life LOL

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    That is how I do it. I change it at the beginning of every season.. unless I've broken off enough to need to change it earlier. Mono is touchy like that, once the plastics break down in there it gets reall snappy. It happened to me at the beginning of the season but not with a fish. I had one pole left to spool and hadn't done it yet. I was tightening my knot after tying it and snap.... hell geuss there was a bad spot... happened again on the next knot. I put the pole away and fished with the other ones until I got that one respooled.

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Do you have any gar down your way?I,ve had them slice me off like that on quite a few occasions.:eek:oooh:

13. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Ive had that feeling when I hooked into the log last year, Ive been kicking myself ever since, line didnt break but the fish caught me off gaurd and adrenaline took over and I tried to over power it. Now Ive got one of those hard learned never forgotten lessons, and no big fish :embarassed: Well sorry to hear about your experience but it made me remeber mine thanks for the story and good luck next time