I know nothing about catching blue catfish-I need some help!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bigtimingcats69, Mar 17, 2006.

1. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    Please post any information on catching blues. Like when to catch them what bait and hook size etc... I do a lot of flathead catfishing but never fished for blues. Never caught one!!!

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    bigtimingcats69

Well first thing is we have alot of information on this site for you to look at please go into our sections here on the board and read up on the bluecatfish and the flatheads, thats where I would start first before asking questions, this is too wide of a area to answer. I am also sending you a PM about your Avatar.

Thanks
    DeerHunter01

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The library would be a good place to start, there are some good articles in it on bluecats, baits, and tactics. I would encourage any members who have not checked out the library to do so, there is a wealth of information in there. There is a link to the library table of contents in the yellow bar at the top of each page on the board.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Before you start asking such a wide question. Some info about your self would help. Like do you fish a lake or river if so what one. Maybe someone on here fishes the same waters and can better help you. Other then that reading the other threads would help you a lot.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Basics-

Rods- anything MH-H, Most guys on here like a rod rated for atleast 20-30lb line, i like 15-30 as a range

Reels-what you feel comfortable w/ and can hold the line you need + extra just incase

Line- Again a personal preference... i like 12-15 on all but my big fish rods which have 25...

Hooks- anywhere from 1/0 to 7/0 though usually 6/0's are on

Weights- depend on where and what kind of structure your fishing... i like the no rolls on Catfish connection in 1.5 and 2 oz... cause most my rods can handle them.

Bait- anything from Danny King to cut bait, though recently for me cut shad has been the key :), Sometimes the same rig and bait as you'll use for flats will work... carolina w/ a bluegil on it...

When to catch them- When you have a baited hook in the water... its really hard to catch them w/ dry lines and bait...

Oh almost forgot... STURDY ROD HOLDERS

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Definitely the library would be a good place to check, but one other thing is patience. Lots and lots of patience. Also big pieces of cut bait.

7. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I mainly fish rivers so I can give you some info that has helped me. I usually use cut shad, skipjack, or bream. I like to use the middle sections of the bait that have the guts inside and change bait fairly frequently. Fresh bait has worked much better for me than frozen bait. I usually like to use large pieces of bait but it is not always necessary. I have had my best luck fishing in fast current with a rocky/gravel bottom. Outside bends in the river as well as barges parked on the side of the river have produced well for me. Also, the mouth of feeder rivers and creeks that join the main river are good areas. Dam's are also a great location to find big blues. The main areas I fish are the Ohio River and the White River in Indiana. I have not had many experiences fishing on lakes for blues so some of the other members should have some good info on this. Hope this helps.

8. CATCPA

CATCPA New Member

State:
    NC
    I have only been catting for one year. I can honestly say cut eel has been the best bait for me. Also. cut shad. FRESH IS KEY.

9. rebhog

rebhog New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Lots of info here. Read up and go fishing.