I know it's hot but take a kid fishing!!!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by osageCo_flathead, Aug 18, 2006.

1. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If not for an hour before dark...take a kid fishing. Get them away from the TV and or computer and show them what real fun is. Teach them the right way to do it. Teach them to respect their surroundings and pick up other people's trash they left laying around and show the little one's it's alright to care about our waters enough to pick up a bottle and put it in the trash. Teach them to follow size and limit restrictions and explain to them it's not a bad thing to have rules and rules are necessary.

Take them on a fishing trip that reminds you of days ago. Go out the night before with a flashlight on the edge of some high weeds and show them how easy it is to catch grasshoppers at night. This will build some great excitement for your fishing trip lined up for the next morning or afternoon. Teach them grasshoppers are great bait and can be put in the refrigerator for months ALIVE. They go into a state of hibernation and can be brought out in the colder months to give the ole cats a surprise. Once they warm up they wake up and come back to life. Or you can show them how to catch crawdads under a rock or how to make a bait trap...you get the picture

Now here is the hard part that will test your metal. Only take ONE fishing pole for the kid(s). This way its all about the kid and this experience will mean more to him/her than words can describe. Put on a bobber and turn him/her loose. Take pic's if you can. Take the pics to the local newspaper and I could about guarantee they will publish the picture with a neat little description. 20 years down the road when you have forgotten that one time in millions you spent on the waters edge...it will be permanently engraved in this child's mind well into adulthood. I can guarantee you that picture of his/her catch will be cherished and permanently displayed in one way or another. But most importantly they will follow your example and take a kid fishing

It's time for people to take their lives back and take responsibility for the youth of this nation and what better way to aid us in this task than fishing? Don't be afraid to teach your kid's good moral standing. Instill in them to follow the rules and value their family. Set the best example you can for your kids, give them hugs, give them kisses, tell them you LOVE them everyday...and take them fishing.....

People call us rednecks and much worse for loving fishing like most of us do...but those people do not know what it truly is to live. Teach your kid what it is to live and live the right way.....

2. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    well said they will never forget

3. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Your there on that. We have been taking kids of all ages fishing for the past 5 years. We have had a 3 year old catch so many bluegill he put the older ones to shame but they were there helping him. W have had 1 fishing kid (70) ctach their first fish. We have had as many as 800+ in a years time go fishing with us. Thank God we have plenty of helpers. Our outing have from 30 to 80 fishing everyother Saturday and special events through the week. The joy you see and hear during this time is priceless.
    A rep for ya.

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well put Brother.... I know how it is when you take a kid fishing. My son didnt understand it at first and then he started catching channels and now when we go he out fishes me like crazy...

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Well said, good post!

6. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    You are right on the money! Cleve & I were just talking about it before! We plan on taking the girls out as soon as they are a little older & learn to mind a bit better. They are both little angels.... when they are asleep!
    Lisa

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I've been taking my grandsons fishing and to gatherings ever sence there have been gatherings and I will have one with me at the National Gathering.I've only been to one this year but I took an 8 a 10 and a 13 year old on a 4 day camping trip to another state and I took my boat.I did that by myself with no help and I'm in a wheelchair.Now I have to ask why ain't you been taking a kid fishing????

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great post brother, I always try to take a kid fishing when possible.

9. osageCo_flathead

State:
    Oklahoma
    I take my kids, their friends, my nephew, my best friend's kids...I just love to do it and do it the right way and for the right reasons.

Jim,

You my friend are an example of selflessness and an inspiration to us all...no excuses...just do what you know is right and do it well. Those kid's will follow your lead and the world is a better place with people such as yourself showing these kids how to live.... The next time I feel to tired to wake up early and take the kids to the creek I promise your post will be in the back of my head and get my lazy butt out of bed....thanks for the post it made my night.

10. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    :smile2: my son and i love it it teaches them good things.real quality time yhat cant be beat makes lifen worth living

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Weel said Brother. I remember when I was the kid and how excited I was to be going fishing with family and friends. I have also "kidnapped" a few, with their parents permission, and spent the day on the water fishing and playing. And you can bet, if a kid is close to me while I am fishing, he will "catch" one while holding my pole while I "get something".

12. osageCo_flathead

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's what I'm talking about brother...you guys have rekindled my faith in humanity.

13. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Taking a kid fishing ain't no big deal to me it's just something that you do and I want my grandkids to grow up as happy I did.My daddy took me hunting and both him and my granddaddy took me fishing every time they had a chance and those times hold some very specal memorys for me because my daddy passed away when I was 15 and he was more than just a father to me he was my best friend.

14. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I started my boy out and he loves it. We fish when ever we can. Hardest thing I ever had to do was not let him fish when he was grounded. Had to sit and watch. He sure learned his lesson tho.

I would trade anything for the time we spend out in nature and the talks we have. I hope to take a few neighbor kids with us. The crappie are bitting at a lease I have and want to get more kids hooked.

Take em fishing and you wont fish for them.

15. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've been taking my stepson, who is 14 for the last 4 years, and his Mom took him before that. I am also taking my grandsons 6-10, I always looked at them being able to survive in the wild on they're own if they had to.
    Later Andy