I know Flathead catfish are agressive but...

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Flatheadhunter33, May 28, 2006.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Okay, here is the deal. I was out Friday night with my son and some buddies. We fish the local canals primarily. Around 01:00 we started to get some action with stripers, good sized ones. After a short while, the bite came to an abrupt halt and soon after that we got three flathead over about an hour period in the 7-12lb range. Once that died down, we got a little more action with the stripers and one of us caught a large mouth that was just as big our biggest striper all on cut bait. Just before dawn we pulled another flathead. My question is this, Is it possible that flathead are so agressive that they will even scare off bigger fish of other species? It seems like every time we got into the Flatties, that the other fish were cleared out of the area?

By the way, out of all the fish we caught that night, we only kept 2 flathead and the largemouth that my one buddy caught...

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    You have to ask yourself...what is the top predator in this water? The answer is probably a Cat. I would imagine in the fish world this is called respect...LMAO...or self-preservation!:wink:

3. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I hear ya Itch.!:big_smile:

4. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    your right on that one

5. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
  6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Them flatties will clear em out brother. They can eat alot, and other fish know that. LMAO

7. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    this raises another question from me...are flatties a schooling fish? Hate to sound like such a rookie but I thought they were pretty much loners?

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Man...are you already addicted to BOC or what?:roll_eyes: ....LMAO...I go to bed...your on...I get up...your on....and askin questions this old man has to think about before coffee...LOL:crazy: I would not say Flatties are schooling fish....but they ARE structure oriented and where there is structure that will hold one may also hold others.....but then I am not a flathead guru and I have not had my first cup of coffee yet:embarassed: ...LMAO

9. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    NAH...I'm just on duty. Trying to pass some time!:big_smile:

10. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    interesting post...

I've been taught (and generally agree) that definitely the flatheads are territorial. But, you will still find that flatheads can share the same space.

One theory is that the flatheads are attracted by the sturcture/cover present in the spot. Maybe it's a good feeding spot to ambush prey, or some heavy cover which offers protection and a place to spawn. So, the largest, most aggressive flathead will stake out and defend this territory.

This doesn't mean that other smaller flatheads aren't in the same general area. The smaller fish can be on the perimeter trying to get in, maybe waiting for the larger flathead to move off the spot.

As far as keeping other fish out, what happens when you drop a live bait in close to a flathead? It gets hit, picked-up, or eaten. Could be a convenient snack or just a instinctive response to remove the invading bait.

So, even larger gamefish are going to be threatened by the flatheads aggresive behavior. Kind of like if you were playing a game of "one on one" with Shaq. Would you try to take it into the paint, or would shoot from the perimeter?

Shawn

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Flatheadhunter, flatheads, blues, and larger channels will all eat stripers. It seems most catfish will eat any invasive species as well as native species. I have regularly caught cats full of zebra mussels. Vern

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Flatheadhunter, flatheads, blues, and larger channels will all eat stripers. It seems most catfish will eat any invasive species as well as native species. I have regularly caught cats full of zebra mussels. I have been catfishing before and having good luck with channels and blues. When the bite suddenly stopped. Then after a few minutes we caught a couple of large flatheads. This leads me to believe that the flatheads did one of two things, either ran the other cats off or tried to feed on them and they escaped. Myself I believe it was the latter. Vern

13. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    An excellent way to pass time Dameon:big_smile: Please forgive me for not welcoming you to the BOC family previously, I see you are a new member.:cool2: ....I can already tell by your thought provoking posts that you will be a valued member of the BOC.:wink: Again, welcome.:big_smile:

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have often caught up to 5 to 6 smaller flats, ( under 10 pounds ) ,from the same spot in a period of about 3 hours. I have noticed that there is not much action in a spot where I have caught larger flatheads. I have fished a area with a couple of friends and seen 2 flats over 35 pounds caught about 70 yards away from the other within 15 minutes. I dont believe that flatheads school but will hang out in the same structure area.

15. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    I'm not sure about that one. But I think when flats are hungry they know where to find some food. I've caught several in a small area. Seems to me right before I catch a flathead my bluegills go nuts. Hope this helps, Chuck.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Ever seen a chihuahua (sp) and a great dane? That little dog just won't shut up, although one bite from the Gread Dane would guarantee peace and quite. Catfish are like the little dog. They don't know the strippers may be larger than they are...their instincts is to eat and by gosh, they are gonna eat.

17. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you open the mouth of a 50 pounder you would see why the other fish leave. You could put a good size stripper or about 20 pounds of bait fish in there. :smile2:

18. bartmccollum

bartmccollum New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Last year I was fishing the Cumberland near Calvert City on a slow, hot Summer night near a rock ledge. I knew I wouldn't catch anything. To my surprise, my pard and I caught six in a row in the same spot exactly! All between 15 and 20 lbs. I realized as we were leaving the reason they were biting. The water level had dropped nine feet and must have pushed them out of the hole under the ledge.