I knew That!! Practical Member Tips to Help Improve Your Fishing Success/Save Money

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catcaller, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Hey Yall...I thought perhaps it might be a good idea to start a thread where everybody that has a practical outdoor tip that saves them time or money...might post it here, and share with the other members a few of the secrets you may have picked up along the way.

This could be a great opportunity for a worthwhile learning experience to help us get through the long winter days...as we await spring and new life.

I'll start by bringing a few items to the table.

1. If you are like me...you have stacks of outdoor magazine you refuse to throw away because there is SOMETHING you might need to know in one of them.

Trying to retrieve that info on demand is like trying to noodle a trout.

Try this: Whenever you get a magazine that you plan on saving...make a photocopy of the table of contents. I keep them in a folder...and it saves ALOT of time for that must have knowledge. (How did we ever get along without Google in the past??)

It's much easier to search for a particular issue than it is a specific article when you're not sure which one of the 500 magazines holds what you need to know.

2. To instantly remove slime from your hands after handling oily baitfish such as shad or trout...keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol onboard your boat...washing your hands with it quickly removes the slime...and sanitizes them simultaneously. (In case you're ready to munch on your sandwich, or smoke a cigarette)

3. The icing cup that comes with pillsburys refrigerated cinnamon rolls can be used for emergency cover caps on 1 1/2" bearing buddies. (Lol...don't ask! :wink:)

4. Don't throw away those little dessicant pouches (with silica in them) that come with electronics equipment. They absorb moisture very efficiently...and placing a few in your tacklebox will help to keep your hooks from rusting.

5. When swatting at a persistent horsefly buzzing around you won't shoo it away...try this....lean your back against the trunk of a tree. When the horsefly can't circle its prey...it will give up and fly away. (Works everytime)

That should get the ball rolling...if you have a tip...lets hear it.

I'm interested in anything that will save me time or money. (Either/or is something I don't have a lot of to begin with)

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Two piece rods are a necessary evil for most of us, and most are disinclined to break them down and case them constantly. Here's what I do:

I keep a roll of double-sided Velcro handy, and tape the pieces together, still rigged.

Since they ride in the back of my Polaris much of the time, dust is a concern, so I bag the handle/reel in an el cheapo nylon stuff sack.

3. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brian,
    Here is one I just started using: If you ust a cork or somekind of a float on your Carolina rig. Cut a piece off a swimnoodle or any kind of foam that floats. I make mine about 3-4 in. long and about 1in. diameter. After you have the shape you want take a small crochetting needle ( the kind with a small hook on the end ) push it through the center long ways, now put your line inside the hook and pull it back through. You can hold the float in the place you want it by tying some knots on each end of it . You may want some small beads or tiny washers to keep the knots from pulling through the foam. Real easy to make and you doin't lose much when you hang up and break off. I hope this helps Paul

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Those are great tips.

Here are a few more...

1. Need kindling to start a fire on a wet day? A handful of greasy potato chips will do the trick in a pinch.

2. Before skinning a rabbit or a squirrel...soak it in a bucket of water first in order for the hair to not stick to the carcass like dry hair will.

3. When launching your boat at night...unplug your trailer lights to prevent blowing the bulbs.

There's not much sacrfice of backing light anyhow...instead...find a suitable plug in for your trailer light receptical...and wire it to a spot light with a magnetic base that you can put on top of your truck shining backwards. It lights up the WHOLE boatramp.

4. When picking morel mushrooms...use a mesh onion or orange sack made from nylon netting. Give it a good shake every once in awhile after you've found a few shrooms...especially in the spot where you just harvested one.

This allows the spores to drop back to the ground...insuring a new crop...instead of going down the drain at home.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    A couple some probably already know:

-When you go to buy beads for slip floats rigs, or any rigs that involve beads for that matter, go to Wally World or any store that has a crafts center. You can pickup about 1000 for about a buck.

-Craft stores also have small diameter strong string similar to the kind that comes on bobber stops, and its much stronger. By and roll for 2 bucks, and make your own bobber stops for the rest of your life.

-If you get wopped by a catfish fin, and get cut, I heard of you rub the belly of the catfish on the wound site it relieves the pain and toxins...??? Haven't tried this so if you have let me know.:pudency:

6. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Travis,
    This really works about the catfish belly,just rub the place where you are injured on its belly.
    Also wally has the beads and string for what you have suggested.
    thanks

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Really??? Thats so cool. Have to keep that in mind...Thanks:wink:

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    All right...thats some great input. Thanks...I will definately be trying out the craft store. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Also...it gives me something to do this winter.

I already have the makings of the rod storage rack...and I definately have a use for it too. According to my wife...there are 33 rod/reel combos heaped together in a corner of the garage...I never did count them I guess...Lol.

But what she doesnt realize is that many of those are relics from when I was a kid...I try to explain that they're part of who I am...but it seems like everytime I do...she just shakes her head like she doesn't get it...and starts mumbling under her breath...as she walks out of the room. See how it is? You can lead a thirsty horse to the waters edge...but it refuses to drink. What's wrong with women? :wink:

Here are a few more tips...real quick like...before my wife wakes up and reads this screen...lol.

1. To protect the plug of your onboard battery charger from the elements when its not in use...get a three prong grounding adapter...cut off the two wall socket prongs...and insert the charger plug into it. The adapter plug is less than a buck at the hardware store...and will keep your charger plug from getting corroded.

2. Carry a roll of teflon tape in your tackle bag or in the dry storage compartment just in case your drain plug starts leaking. Pull the plug...preferably while the boat is on the trailer :wink:...wrap some teflon tape around it, and reinsert into the drain hole. This tape is used by plumbers to stop leaks on metal pipe threads...it works equally well against leaks on a rubber plug.

3. To seal the cork on your favorite old fishing rod...first clean it with dawn diswashing soap under warm water...and then scrub with a soft brush.

Let it dry overnite...and then apply a product called U-40 cork sealant. (Available at home supply stores)

If its a new rod...skip the cleaning and apply the sealant with a small paint brush...a thin even coat is all thats needed.

It will soak into the cork and protect it against the abuse a catfisherman is known for dishing out.

4. A minnow trap can be made in an instant by taking a two liter pop bottle, and cutting off the top end of the bottle...and then re-inserting it backwards into the bottom half of the bottle. This creates a funnel like opening. Add bait inside the trap...bread crumbs or dry dog food both work very well...and place in a spot where schools of minnows are present. You'll be amazed at how well this one does work.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have done the catfish slime trick too, and the wet fur trick.

washing your hands in the sandbar sand will remove fish slime like the alcohol, dont sanitize though.lol

if you do much walking to bank spots, you know how unruley the rods are to carry. i stand my rods up on the buts. poles next to each other reels facing out. take the line from the shortest one( the line coming from the tip to the hook+i always hook onto the reel) pull that line out and wrap it around all(three here) rods and loop it over an eyelet. the rods will stay wrapped together and carry much esier!

if your cold water cats seam to drop your bait when they feel it get tight. with your rod laying on the ground(and casted out) pull about 3ft of line offf the reel (between reel and first eyelet) and lay it in the grass. when a fish picks up the bait it wont feel a thing till it gets to the end of that free line, by that time you should be able to get a hook in him. in light current i stick a small limber twigg in the ground about 2ft from my reel and loop the line over the top of it. that will keep the current from pulling the line but release with less preasure than the clicker.

free no roll sinkers= search boc library under free lead sinkers for catfishing. they dont take long to make and your not sucking up lead fumes from pooring.

when you get snagged wrap the line around your reel before you pull it free. this will keep the line from digging into the spool.

keep small baloons in your tackle bag(i use a back pack because i walk long distances to my bank spots) they work great for floats. they can be tied on the line and removed without retieing. dont blow them up much they will float a lot of wieght semi full of air!

ok ill stop now. lol

great thread catcaller!!!!!

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I am out the door, but I will post 2 quickies. First, a buddy of mine once spent a bunch of money on a couple of those line alarm electric gadgets that flashes a red light and beeps when a fish hits and takes line out. If I'm in a situation where I can let the fish run with the bait and my reel does not have a clicker, I will smash one side of a soda or beer can and place it on the line. This will signal me through both sight and sound if a fish runs. Second, use a cheap plastic frisbee as a cutting board for your bait. It's economical, keeps the boat clean, and it easy to clean (tip from bwhupp).

11. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hope this thread never ends - lots of good info in here!!!

12. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    GOOD TIPS--To get the slime and smell off your hands, wash them with tothpaste and water.

13. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    You can use rubber bands when you free line to keep the line under control and as a strike indicator. Works great on windy days fishing still water. I use this for channel cats in lake or reservoir waters.
    Place a rubber band around the shaft of the fishing pole about six inches in front of the reel. Make the cast, let it drop to the bottom, then make a loop with the line between the rubber band and the pole. Works great for me.:big_smile: I saw this trick on a saltwater fishing show a few years back.

David

14. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    for a better smelling mosquito repellant rub a bounce dryer sheet on your bare skin.

if you don't use one tie on a shock leader it has a few benefits such as if you're using a lighter line to gain casting distance, use say 80lb test thenyou can have added abrasion resistance, or as a handy handle to land a fish.

try storing pre tied rigs and hook leaders in sandwich sized bags then you can put similar sized hooks or rigs in gallon sized bags for an inexpensive and compact organizational system.

to make a carolina or a slip rig a slip set rig pinch on a splitshot a set length from the sinker stop. for example if you pinch on a splitshot a foot away the swivel when a fish picks up your bait and moves off when the sinker meets the splitshot the weight of the sinker will set the hook.

hope these help

15. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    ALWAYS wet your knot before cinching it tight!

16. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I bought a cutting board at wally world for around $1, sticky velcro to the boat.. Cheap and easy cut bait station, and I just pull it up and dip it in the lake when washing it off. Also wont blow out of the boat.

Buy el-cheapo rubber floor mat (again, usually find em for a couple bucks at wally world) to put your anchor on *IF* you dont keep it in a bucket or a anchor buddy type deal...

Spend your "down time" organizing your tackle (I highly recommend the system Big George has in the Library). Has saved me hours of searching for stuff...

Cheap rod storage for the boat can be made out of PVC and a PVC bracket..Much cheaper than the $25 for a 3 pole deal I see everywhere and can be custom mounted for your boat.

I see alot of posts asking about packaged Shad, DON'T Bother with it.. Spend your money on a $20 castnet and catch fresh. Your hook up rate will be much higher :wink:.

Small section of chain mounted with your plug on it next to drain hole is cheap insurance that you wont be looking for it...

Keep a truck key in your boat (hide-a-key) and a boat key in your truck.

Fishing out of town? Throw a baby monitor in your boat when you hole up in your motel room and you can keep an ear on it .

Katbobber, well worth your $$

Assorted "Catfish" hooks at wal-mart, NOT worth your $$$

Got a new boat and not sure how to set it up? Climb up in it while in your drive and start looking around... Imagine you have a HUGE fish on.. Where would need this that or the other to land it. Then imagine its pitch black out and your by yourself.. Whats in the way, what needs to be in easy reach, etc etc.... and then Do it again after you fished it few times....

17. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've always used ketchup to was off the fishy smell and slime. It's about the only thing I ever found it to be good for.

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good stuff guys keep them comeing!

19. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    use alot of carolina rigs? Drift rigs? or want to keep alot of pretied rigs ready to tie on?
    buy a pool noodle and cut it into 8-12" pieces. gentle stick hook into noodle and wrap the line around it (around circular way not the length) and put rubber band around the line. U can put 10 pretied rigs on one 8" piece and be ready when u break off, saves time when on the water.

This one was hard for me to figure out. To save gas and space on a boat, only take what u need and a small emergency kit. There is no reason to take 4 life jackets out if only u r gonna be on the boat. same with tackle, why take out 10 rods when u can only use 3 or 4 at a time?

20. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well James, if I take all that extra stuff out, what am I going to do with all that extra space thats being wasted?............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. Where did that floor in my boat come from?

Dang thats a tough one.