I knew that I'd seen them before... Min Yang reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Jan 13, 2010.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I couldn't remember where I'd seen them before. Then I found the sie: www.proanglertackle.com/CatfishReel.htm. It's got to be the same reel, and they are HUGELY popular in Texas, according to the various Texas fishing forums I've read.

2. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Definitely looks the same to me! Looks like all they did was change the "pro angler" badge on the left side plate and jacked up the price some...

Cool find!

3. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    That reel and the rods are sold through a guide in Texas, Doug Elliot. That's what he uses on his boat, and the guys down in that area RAVE about both items, even more so that the ABU fanatics on here do.

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah that looks identical to the Ming Yang reels. But if that Pac50 is the equivalent to the CL50/CZH50 then it is highly over priced cause you can get the CL70 for $10 cheaper and the CL60/CZH60 for $20 cheaper than that lol. That is a nice Flathead they caught on it though, I would love to break 70 with one of my Ming Yangs

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. festus

festus New Member

I wonder if that guy who got the flathead caught it out of his backyard? It looks like it's practically right outside someone's back door.

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Catfish Connection's new catalog has a reel that looks remarkably like the Ming Yangs. They are HT Enterprises Inc. MAX FORCE.
    Are the Mings any good? I haven't seen one other than on the web or in a catalog, but I'd be willing to try one if they had descent reviews.

7. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Try this post:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?133977-New-Ming-Yang-Reels

I have one that I bought as a test reel and have used it for about 3 months. I would recommend this reel to anyone that catfishes. I have personally brought in a 52 pounder on it with ease. I know that they can handle more. BUT if you use a clicker then you might want to wait till they have the new and improved model with louder clickers. Just my 2 cents but you can't go wrong for the price.
    My CL60 will hold more line than my ABU 6500's and they come with power handles where as you have to spend $13 more to get one for a regular ABU 6500.
    Hope this helps out a little bit.
    Tight lines and screaming drags.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  8. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Thanks for setting the record straight. I've just kind of browsed the Texas forums and saw more than a little feedback about the Pro Angler stuff. :yin-yang:

I'm not surprised that he didn't admit that the reels were Min Yangs. Most companies don't tell who their OEM supplier is. 9 times out of 10, you can talk to someone at Bass Pro or Cabela's, and they aren't going to tell you that who actually makes their reels or other branded items. Lots of times they don't know. Many of people don't know that Okuma used to make a lot of the Shimano reels (and Shimano didn't advertise that fact), and that TICA is a big OEM supplier too. Silstar/Pinnacle and Shakespeare/Pflueger do most of the BPS reels and some for Cabela's. Okuma does stuff for Cabela's too. Some of Cabela's reels are made by Daiwa.

As for re-packaged hooks, no offense to Team Catfish (Daiichi Hooks), Bass Pro, Cabela's and others, but that's what their terminal tackle is. All repackaged hooks, line, swivels, sinkers.

It's like that in all aspects of retail business. I work in the grocery field... Wal-Mart has several different companies that do their Great Value bread. Meijer's brand bread is all done by Aunt Millies/Perfection Bakeries. Kroger's brand chips/pretzels are made by Snyder's of Hanover. It's a regular practice. But if you go into the stores, they aren't about to tell you that.

9. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    So are the CL 70s comparable in physical size to the ABU 7000?

10. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    Yes the CL70's are real close in size to the ABU 7000's...

11. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas

Hey Mo,
    I don't know Ed and I met Tex (Doug Elliot) once, so I'm not covering for "friends". And i have never bought one thing from they. Tex seems like a good guy and has always been very helpful to everyone on the "other" forum. More helpfull than anyone I've ever seen that guides for a living. Lot's of folks on the "other" forum have bought the ProAngler rods & reels and been quite pleased. When folks have brought up issues, Ed & Tex have always worked to resolve them. Don't throw good guys to the wolves.

Take it easy bro.. I dunno if ProAngler reels are MingYang or not. I don't have a dog in the hunt as I'm a spinning reel guy as you know. Maybe their's a middle man between the supplier and the seller; maybe not. The fact that someone in business might not want to reveal their supplier would also come as no surprise to me. Like you and me, these guys are trying to hack out a living in tough times. They have always seemed on the up & up to me.

For the record, the line is Hi-Seas Red Devil line and not Cajun. I believe Hi-Seas may have discontined this line but you can still find it if you look hard enough on the internet.

I remember the post on the "other" forum about the flathead, and yes, it was caught "in his backyard". If I remember right, he lives downstream of possum Kingdom and the creek/riverbed is in his backyard.

Hope to see you out on the banks of Lavon soon and hope she's a little more forthcoming with the cats then she's been the last week or 2. Peace.....

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If you look at the picture close in the catfish connection catalog. It has the CL70 model number on it. Left side of the reel. Very plane as day..... The thing I don't get is if you go to HT Enterprises it's all ice fishing unless they have another website that I'm missing.

13. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    The reels are listed on there. Funny thing, I don't see any of the Ole' Whisker's rods on there, but I know that they still produce and sell them. The Meijer by my house has about 10 of them on the rack right now.

14. Jamesriver

Jamesriver New Member

State:
    Richmond
    He most likely killed it and took it home, then photographed it at home.:angry:

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Are the Min Yangs metal or graphite?The ones in cc,s new catalog by HT are listed as aluminum spool,one piece graphite frame.

16. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Well I just bought a mingyang, and I've got to say, not having used it, or taken it apart yet, it looks to be a fairly high quality. It has a nice fit & finish, works smooth, and feels good in my hands. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Pat, it appears to be all SS & Alum.

17. Shortbus1

Shortbus1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have two Max Force 703 reels and they cast great. I have yet to catch anything with some serious size but for the money I'll buy more. Unless I finally catch something big and it rips the guts out of it.