I killed all my minnows!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by L.A.Katracker, Jul 26, 2007.

1. L.A.Katracker

L.A.Katracker New Member

State:
    Lower Alabama
    This morning I went down to the creek and put my minnow trap in with 3 pieces of bread. After about 30 minutes I had about 6 dozen nice shinners. Brought them home and the first thing I did was put them in my large cooler because I had so many. Well. I thought they would stay alive longer if they were cold! I dumped about 5 pounds of ice in them and 20 minutes later they all were dead. I think I froze them. Maybe I should have just put a small amount of ice. O well! I'll try again early in the morning without the ice. I'm going to the houseboat for a few days tomorrow and maybe they will last awhile.:big_smile:

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    a little less ice would probably due. could have died from shock if they went from the water to the cooler in a short amount of time to.

3. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    My guess to the minnows dying is the mass amount of ice might of dropped the water temp too fast for them to adjust and they went into shock.

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Shock and if the ICE wasn't Well water, Chlorine in the Ice... Try freezing bottles of water instead, then float the bottles in the water.. Bring the water Temp down SLOWLY... only need about 10-15 degrees cooler than water they came from .... Less you can get away with the better, if you cool it down too much, they will die quickly once they hit the water your fishing (Again, from Shock)..