I killed a carp :(

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by kyron4, Jul 25, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I caught a 20" carp this morning, around 5 pounds or so. Got it with a #8 treble hook full of corn on 8 lbs. test along a rocky shore. As soon as I got it out of the water blood began to pump down its side out of its gill. The hook was in the lips inside the mouth, but looks like it may have been deeper and pulled out. It fluttered on the surface for about 5 mins. and was dead, pumping blood out the gill the whole time. Do you think I tore a vein or something ? Are carp a "fraglie" fish ? Great fight I wish it had lived to fight again; even though there are hundreds in the river. :confused2:

P.S. I'm hooked on Carp fishing, way better than Bass !!!

2. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    That sucks that it passed. You're a murderer. J/K Carp are a lot of fun to catch, especially when you're not expecting to hook one! I was bass fishing with a yellow/orange colored crankbait this spring in a creek when one bit it! Shocked me when I pulled that giant goldfish out of the water! It too put up a nice fight, ripped a lot of drag out! :big_smile:

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Mike,
    Carp are a pretty tough but as in any other fish the gills are very delicate. Gills are the equivalent of our lungs. If you puncture or tear a lung you will bleed to death unless you get serious medical attention fast.
    If a fish is bleeding from the gills there is basically nothing you can do to save it.
    That is the side of fishing that sucks for me. No matter how careful you are there will occasionally be dead fish involved whether you want them or not.
    If you want to fish for carp there is no need to use a treble hook. A size 4 or 6 single hook on a short leader with a 1 or 2 oz weight will do the job. the short leader will cause the carp to feel the heavy weight and that will cause him to spook. As he turns to run the hook will get him in the lip. Also, look up how a hair rig works. They too will catch carp safely. Good luck...W