I keep missin hits

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by CatManAndy, Jul 18, 2006.

1. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    What can I do to quit missin hits?

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Andy, theres tons of info on this site, keep surfing and check out the library. You should find the techniques you're looking for. Also give some more detailed information on your rig, setup, baits, hook size and what catfish you are targeting. Welcome to the BOC

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

patience, right now at a couple of the places I am fishing the catfish are hitting the bait real hard then dropping it kind of like they are trying to kill are injure it just wait and see if the fish comes back. you may need to downsize the bait and hooks your using also. Try these suggestions out and see if they help any. hard to tell you more without knowing hook size bait size and so on that you are currently using

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    A stinger setup could help out, baiscally it is another hook 4-8 inches behind your first hook. At any rate running two hooks can't hurt.

Aaron

TA2D

5. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe

I agree..I would downsize the bait. Seems like the little ones like to peck at it alot and the big uns will usualy just take it and run..so I don't nessicairly worry too much if I'm just gettin real little bumps

6. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It may depend on what you're using for bait. Nightcrawlers can attract panfish as well as turtles. Cutbait will also attract turtles, I caught a couple softshells on softcraws too. My point is you may not be "missing" cats.

Smitty

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    these guys are right i would them get a good steady run first,then bam cross his eyes.

8. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks guys, i was usin crawlers, there were turtles all over pokin their heads out of the water, i bet thats what it was

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Andy, welcome to the BOC greastest catfish site in the whole country. Pull up a chair ,kick back and enjoy all the usefull infromation you will recieve. Sounds like if you was using the worms and you saw trutles all over the place ,I'd say your problem was you was invaded by turtles.Try stink bait they don't seem to bother it to much.
    AGAIN WELCOME!!

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Keep at it Andy, you will get them..Lots of times miss hits are not catfish.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Use a smaller hook, and a lighter weight u will catch what it is.

12. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Welcome to the BOC Andy!!

Like others said it might not be catfish. I like using circles hook I haven't missed more than 3 fish this year.

Good Luck

Josh

13. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    All of the things that the others are saying is right on the money as usual. Another thing that really helps me is this. When I get a run "when the fish is actually going out steadily" I count one one thousand two one thousand, etc,etc, and I give it till I get to 8-10 and then I let em have it. I hope this helps, it greatly increased my actual hook up rate by 40-50%. Hope this helps.

14. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I will often times have perch hit my cut bait and play with it and playwith it. It's frustrating and it keeps the cats away.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Smaller bait and circle hooks.

If the bait is making it into the fishes mouth all the way, a circle hook will stick him.

You may have small cats, bream, or perch pecking at your bait.