I Just quit my Job

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Oct 23, 2009.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Yea its true... For those of you that I have spoken to over the years, you have maybe heard of my "school experiences" ... as we have shared some time on the banks of the waters a time or two...

Got the rest of the year off with pay... and more, and more.

Now I will be able to use the Boats and RV to go at most anytime ..... which is not to bad of a deal....

More to come.....

* Fishing the ocean Sunday.....
    * Rio Vista and the Sac Delta for Vetrans (WEEK ?
    * Thanks Giving......Gathering at Squaw Lake on the Colorado River...

back to back weekends with a come home to relatives and then back down...

"Gathering at Squaw"... Snagged 2., Gary Tofish, Mike "thunderchicken"
    Plainsman?...

who else... desertcatrat????....RiverBudd55..? Dhines

Time to burn some night wood in the desert...."The older boys are going to turn in early...."

2. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Ray, very sorry to hear about your job. I wish ya luck on your future plans. Tight lines buddy.

Jaime

3. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    sounds to me like you chose to walk away from your job, and if that is the case . . . RIGHT ON BUDDY. god knows i am waiting for the day that i can stop dedicating so much time away from the people and things that i love.

sounds like a lot of fun you will be having, i am jealous :tounge_out:

btw, count me in.

(nice dorado . . . in the pic that is)

4. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    sounds good buddy,im in
    fill me in on details

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Now you can make the Sturgeon gathering:wink: congrats on the time off. You deserve it:wink:

6. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats Ray you've earned it and you deserve it. Stay safe and enjoy it cause you only pass this way once!!!:wink:

7. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    Ya buddy we be waiting for you and we hold a spot just for u heheh...lol
    California is getting out of control the taxes is going up again and am tried of this we just keep putting out more money to pay for the people on top.

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Sounds like a good deal to me, Ray, as long as you don't end up like me and not able to do now that you have the time.
    You want to do some mid week salt time and don't want to go alone give me a shout.

9. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Tom.... looking good... check the weather next week...

Think about the Squaw trip in Nov. got two weekends planned... weather agin....

10. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Your right about that Larry...

I like the one... In youth we learn....:eek:oooh:

.....and in age we understand:wink:.....ben Johnson ?

Starting to throw out or put away a giant box of documents that I have been using .....

Cleaning out the old tax records.... getting rid of stuff.... cleaning house

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    That's a good deal Big Ray & "When I grow up - I want to be just like you"!
    (lol)
    no but really:
    I'm Happy for you & you are a very smart person - so I know that you will use the time off to kick back & take it easy.
    :wink:
    :0a23:

12. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks for that Bert.... I know that you understand whats been going on...

You may have noticed that I posted the words.. "Sacramento River"..Rio Vista.... "thats the Delta man..." Might meet up at Brannen Island to join with my buddy George... and some other Salmon, and Striper fishermen that do the trip yearly.... They wont fish at night... so we'll sit around the Fire and BS etc.... and fish the daytime..... I might sneek to that area that you and the "linester" were at ..... where he caught that nice stiper from the beach.... at night

I haven't finalized the trip..... but I am off.... with pay dude..

13. full moon

full moon Guest

Hey Ray-

Sounds like you walked away from job on your own terms...well done! Bring some bullheads and pile worms out to the Island...it's only about 165 miles from my place...and sturgeon may still be down there running through on their way up north to upper Sac. When's the trip again, Ray? LOL!

14. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I'm Jeolous! But, Congratulations - hope i get to do that someday, WITH PAY! LOL:wink::big_smile::crazy:

15. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Ray. Hope to do the same in about 4 years. Then I hope to be able to travel and do some of the fishin' you guys do. Right now work pretty much keeps me busy as well as chasing the grandkids on the side.

16. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    Hey Ray and Charlene (this is Missouri) well I know the kids will miss you sounds like you were a awesome teacher and now that means you have more time to fish, much luck to you :big_smile:

MIssouri

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good luck to you. I seen quite a few in the same situation as you been in with court and such of what went down at work. Risky job in some ways but the work is highly political and highly profiled so there is lots of things to watch out for. There is also a push to rid older workers to retire as well to bring in younger workers and save money in some districts as allocations of money and savings is such a big deal now with budget cuts. I know you look forward to all the time off. Happy fishing and traveling.

18. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    congrats Ray, now you can enjoy the fishing more!!!

19. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Blue.... "you know what I mean".....Don't know if I ever told you.... but one of my ole best buddies... drinking and this and that .... was "Coach"...Mr. Williams, "Bill" ..... coached at 2 different school in the Compton school district.... he was best buddies with the superintendent and "understood" the running of a school district...

He ran the "camp Comiches" cabin in Wrightwood in the summer and winter..... I got the whole bunch of kids on the ski lift... many times..... free ride to the top...... boy should have seen the look on the kids eyes.... and I would demo some skiing to them as the came back down hill........He even arranged for the kids in the school district to go to the olympics.... employees, and guides and such... "coach organized it all"

When I went to his funeral.... 105th and...

If the folks there only knew what he was really like....
    There were only 6 of the folks on our block that attended out of a million of the friends that came to the service...

Through his many experiences gained in life and being in the community for all the years that he was there....He "knew" the city and folks of Compton.

He was on of the first to "intermarry" and live in the south bay...
    I never got into dominos...."we tipped many a scotch together.".. and watched many a football, and basketball games as well as fishing shows.....Did you ever hear of the coach??

Bill and I and "sarg" ( a district police officer).... rented a house boat and fished the Delta on our 2nd trip to the Delta....

Anyway....

Ray... Mr. Smith..... planning some fishing trips.... tomorrow it is the ocean... and then Might have to see if Plumbertom1 wants to do a quick trip to Yuma....before halloween.... and then, Im heading to the Delta...for vetrans day... Have you been to Brannen Island state Park?

and then.... its Yuma...

Ray... are you still thinking about Isabella?? for this year?

Bayrunner Ray

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I did not know of the Coach I believe I may have heard his name a time or two. I do have a few friends that worked for Compton Unified and I am sure they kinow him. Compton fell into trouble being taken over by the state one time but they have their district back now. Several schools in L.A. unified is in the same position of having such faith happen to them as test scores are such a high priority now. I went to Elemnatry school at St Timoty's around the corner from Compton High School. I received the best education from that elementary school as it was a African Methodist Episcopal private school. I still go by and visit this school to this very day as my educational foundation was started there as I went to school in carson at that time and learned nothing near what I learned at that school in Compton which is why my parents took me out of school in Carson and placed me at this school in Compton from end of 1st thru 6th grade.

I did know one of the members on the school board back in the days like Ahman Rahh who pretty much saved my personal life with me taken his classes back then - he kept me from being kicked out of college academically and was also a mentor for me with his teachings and also former Compton Mayor Omar Bradley who was an activists who speeches I listened too and saw. Plus I use to know one of his family members who had a twin I use to be close with in Pomona back in the days. She was a cutie pie. :big_smile: Both of these guys got into some issues later but they still were good guys in Compton to me and several others As I particpated in community service with these guys sometimes in Compton for extra credit. LOL. Don't know where I would be now if it was not for Professor Rahh for me. Dr. Karenga also was integral with me.

Its people like Coach Williams that are few and far in between in the community today. There are so many problems that plaque the black community Like lack of male role models and lack of fathers. Plus the hate for each other is so rampant that physical altercations is so a muck out there values are down the drain. Groups against each other like gangs and cliques. Teachers do not get the respect they use to get back in the days. Its the teachers fault for everything. Kids are not held responsible for what they do. Now these are the future that we are putting out there. Lots of kids are being set up for failure and they have no accountability and responsibility with the social promotion thats been going on for decades. Now all of a sudden they blame us for this problem that was instituted years ago wth these kids being 3 grades behind level in reading and math. I always looked at it as a trap for certain kids to not achieve and to be left out of the college and job market in the future. People that are seriously trying to make a difference is not what they use to be in the past thats for sure.

I can write a book on this stuff just like a thesis I once wrote for my Masters degree years ago but that is another thread.

I just know that you will not miss anything in the educational field we have here in the big city. Now is a good time to get out for those that have that opportunity to do so and retire thats for sure.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009