I just could not pass up the deal on the Lowe 2070. Now I need help w/ add ons.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Big Dav, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Well I went and did it. I just could not pass up the deal on the Lowe 2070 I was asking about. Now I need any tips and suggestions you guys have to offer on rigging it out for cats (some striper). I built my 17 ft tracker a few years back and ended up changing a lot of things and wishing I had did this and not that. I would like to use others experiences and knowledge to try and avoid as much of that as possible.
    The boat is a 2005 Lowe 2070 Roughneck center console. It came with the following, 2005 Johnson 2-stroke ocean pro (never seen salt water), MinnKota 12 volt 55 lb trolling motor (I have a 65# 24v I may trade it out), small Humminbird color fish finder, large bench seat at console, two pedestal seats, a manual adjust aluminum jack plate, and one set of rod storage racks. The previous owner said he had put the boat on the water three times. The boat looks better than some I have seen on the dealer lots. The prop does have one small place in it that he said he did the first day on the water.:sad2: I don't even know if it is stainless, if it is it is painted black.
    Here are some pics of it, my tracker is in the background of some of the pics.

I am pretty much starting from scratch on this boat. I want a lot of rod holders (that is a given), but don't know what kind. I would like to make use of the t rack on the inside gunnel. At least if it is possible I would like to use the drift master style holders. If possible to come up with a trick way of using the t-track that would be even better. I will be fishing lakes most of the time but I plain on trips to the James and some other large rivers. When lake fishing I spread rods out on both sides of my tracker, usually 10 - 12 rods if I am on the boat alone. I probably won't fish more rods I would just like the option of moving them around, thats why I want to use the track for mountin (if possible). I know I will need some type of "back of the boat" rod holders system for river fishing. I would rather this be removable (as easy as possible) for when I am lake fishing.
    I need to also look into options for a second live well. Suggestions to something removable or somewhere to have another built in live well made for the boat? The boat is the gold/tan painted option, not the dark green. I would like to add some type of better no slip floor coating. Suggestions / pictures would be a big help since I have never seen or done it for myself.
    Sorry for the long post, here are some pics of the "new 2 me" boat.
    Thanks any and all help and suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Some more pics.

Attached Files:

3. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    That baby ought to last you forever!!!

4. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Big Dav that's a fine machine you have!!! :tounge_out:I would say add the ice chest for the cold ones!!:big_smile: Very nice boat brother....:cool2:

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the replies. I picked up some vertical rod storage racks up the other night at Bass Pro for our deck boat. The deck boat just lost out on options. The rod racks are going on this boat.:big_smile: I have been thinking about the rod holder situation and also how to mount my Moonlite led black lights. I have the cordless lights and need to figure out a way to run/hide the wires. I think I can run my wires inside the gunnel but I will call the factory first to make sure.
    Does anyone have experience with the Lowe factory rod holders or any other of the t-track accessories? I still need to all the help I can get with setting up the boat. More than anything on the rod rack for the back of the boat for river fishing.

Thanks again for everything.
    David

6. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Something I am in the process of doing with my Basstracker is mounting flood lights on the front like car head lights. They will be underneath as not to be in the way while fishing. But I go fishing alot by myself and sometimes can't drink coffee and steer and hold a light all at the same time while running at night. Just a idea

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Bill,
    Thanks for the reply. I have something like you are talking about on my Tracker. They work great for docking or putting on the trailer. They are not so great for running, they are never in the correct angle and don't through out light far enough to help. This set is the second set I have tried with no better results.

I am thinking about one of the go-light remote spotlights for this boat. I just don't have the cash now to buy much of anything. I need to start feeling the "cookie jar" back up.:sad2:

Here is a few pics of the lights on my tracker.
    The last picture is of the t-track in the gunnels of the 2070. I was thinking I might be able to machine the head on a stainless bolt into a T and use them to hold some aluminum blocks. I could drill and tap the aluminum blocks for the "drift master" style rod holders. What do you guys think and did that make any sense?

Attached Files:

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have a Lund with a track system about the same. I bought the bases that were made for the rail and put rod holders on them. So far so good with no problems. Rail looks the same as a Lund.

9. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    That basstracker looks like mine I have a 1995 TX 17

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    JC do you have pictures of what you did? Do you remember how much the plates you bought cost? Thanks

Bill,
    My tracker is an 1988 TX 17 that I completely gutted and rebuilt with all aluminum. It doesn't have one single piece of wood in it, not unless I dropped a tooth pick.:big_smile: I bought a 1999 Johnson 70hp motor for it. I have a lot of work in it but it may be up for sale, all depends on how much it gets used from now on. We have three boats and at least one of them will be finding a new home.:sad2:

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Somewhere on the track should be a round opening to allow the heads of carriage bolts, etc. to be put in. Have similar system on my Fisher.

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Dave, looks like a nice boat. Great looking place you have too. Thanks for sharing the pics with us and allowing the members to help you fix it up. Don't forget to look in the library too, lot's of great info in there too. Can't wait to see the finished boat. Don't forget us when you get it done.

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Sent you a PM Big Dav.

14. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Mike,
    Thanks for the idea. I went out and looked and did not see any opening but that does not mean I cannot make one or several.:big_smile: I may have even overlooked something but I think I may just be able to work with carriage bolts and some block aluminum. Big thumbs up and many thanks.

Bryan,
    Thanks for the comments about the boat and place. I have been looking through the library for weeks now. There are more great ideas in the library than my mind can comprehend. I will be sure to keep everyone up on the progress and the end results.
    Thanks again,
    David

15. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Does anyone have experience with a boat that has a t-top installed on it? I was thinking about a bimini top but I don't like having to fight fish around the supports and I don't like running fast with a bimini, open or closed. When I was looking at different boats I saw several saltwater boats that had what is called t-tops and I think that would work better with the center console style boat. I found one on Ebay that I like the concept, you can drop it down for storage. I think he list them as a bimini t-top (picture below) but it doesn't have a large enough top IMO. I have never even fished a boat that had one on it and could use help on this choice.
    Thanks again,
    David

Attached Files: