I just can't stand it anymore...

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by DWB, Dec 28, 2009.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    ...not fishing that is. It looks like we have some sunny days coming up after the first of the year and I'm not going to let them go to waste. So the question becomes what pattern are the blues following this time of year?

Smaller baits I am sure, but other than that what can we say about winter patterns? Deep scour holes downstream from structure would be my bet. Are the fish schooling up this time of year? Will they be in the channels?

One way or another I'm going to find them. I suspect that bait will be hard to come by as well this time of year. The shad will be deep...how about the Asians?

Anyone else willing to risk the cold temperatures?

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Already been out there in the cold Dan......the only advise I can give is...:confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2:

I've only got a couple dinks to show for it...biggest was 9lbs:embarassed:

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    have funn and bunny stew to boot. Some of us are smart and take up deer hunting. But ya can get bait and table fare its a win win ya ant bored winter fishen. I just gota make it till march 15 --spoons I am saved from winter maddness.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I've never had anough success this time of year to even warrant trying to help you out Dan. The biggest fish I've ever caught in winter time on the Sippi is 41 pounds and it came out of stale water behind a chevron. As many hours as i've fished in Dec, Jan, and Feb over the years, I've come to the conclusion its best to hole up in the cave with Kutter. I know some folks do catch them, but its pretty rare to here of anything big this time of year. But that could be because barely anyone is fishing too. I've always been told that smaller baits is the ticket, but I also know a couple top notch fisherman that still throw big baits in the winter time and have success. If you have the time, ya might want to consider trailering down to Cairo, Il an fishing the last couple miles of the Ohio River. I've been told there is alot more fish down there this time of year. If ya figure out a pattern here on the sippi this time of year, I'll be all ears :smile2:

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    It will be very hard to find them with the river up. They dont like a lot of current in cold water. If I were able to go I would go to Hermann and fish the Loutre river. There was a 91 caught by Jeff Schultz up by Chamois somewhere. But that was before the rise.But advice I can give is keep moving till you find them. I wouldnt set more than 15 or 20 minutes on a spot.

6. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just have to get back on the water...fish or no fish. You have gotta remember that I'm a Minnesota boy...temperatures like this Mom was breaking out the blow-up pool and flip-flops.:cool2:

I've got the boat ready and plan to fish Sunday and Monday.The Missouri will be on a hard fall by then but the Sippi looks to be holding steady so that is where I'll be. I will report back guys.

7. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    be sure to take the sun screen and bug repellent.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm gonna have to side with Kutter here. Its tooooo dayumm cold :smile2: besides, Ma Blue has my arse for the next 5 days :confused2: Things should start slowing down for me in January and February, well at least as flying goes. Have to get the video finished up, the Boat Show, The Gateway Outing, and the tourney in Tawakoni Texas with Rusty. Its gonna be crazy.

9. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Loutre is a good little river to fish, but beware its a dangergous little thing, lots of hull knockers. I have fished that river almost my hole life and i still take it very very easy. Also be lookin for the duck hunters this time of year. I drove over the river this weekend at hermann visiting the old man and it was 70 percent froze.:eek:oooh:

10. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If your going to make the trip to Hermann area, just keeping heading up highway 94 and put out in Portland, head up the missouri to the warm water discharge of the Power Plant, Fish use to school up there pretty good this time of year, and there was a deep hole right down from it. Just an idea.

11. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Be careful out there Dan, the night time lows for this weekend with be in the single digits. Any ramp that's not right on the main current may be iced in. I've got a managed hunt throught the MDC this weekend in Pike county, at least I'll be able to get up and walk around when it gets too cold to sit.

12. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Duck season closes today. That's the reason I got draw for the managed hunt this late in the year. It's at Clerance Cannon Wildlife Refuge, and the don't allow deer hunting there until duck season closes.

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Dan, there is a place in Reynolds County I think, called Cook Springs. It's off the road a bit, but easy enough to walk in. There is a nice cave with good running water coming out of it. You can walk pretty far up into the cave an still have water. I have seen fish there, but of course that was in July and they weren't but a couple inches long. Anyway, it would be the best I could fish this time of year.:wink:

14. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Your and my old stompin' ground there Kutter. I believe the place you are talking about is on the East fork of the Black River right before you get to Lesterville......right?

15. peacefrog

peacefrog New Member

State:
    Manhattan Kansas
    I went out yesterday, Sun was out snow melting looked like a fine day to fish (Was a heat wave of 35). I bundle up got the last of my live shad from the garge walked for 45 minutes to find that my honey hole on the river was frozen solid. The rest of the river was flowing but, not where I fish. Kinda sucked, didnt get to get my line wet or drown a shad. Hope you have better luck next week on those sunny days your going to have.

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Close, south of Lesterville & a bit west. Not far from Sutton's Bluff State Park. Last time I was there was back in the 70's though. I took the back road, from Centerville. It was a 4 X 4 fire trail about 5 miles or so and I made it through in a 67 Plymouth Fury III. Fun ride!!! Water back in the cave was quite cold, which was good for the beer & watermelon at the time. Yes, as you may have guessed, alcohol was involved.:wink:

17. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Dan this time of year can be great!! From what I have found over the years, are most of the fish are gathered and grouped up together. In fact I truly believe a guy could play havoc on the blue population right know if he wanted too. I know that you have heard the old saying that 90% of your fish are holding in 10% of the water, nothing holds more truth than this time of year. I have had some of my best days this time of year. Just ask Bob, I think he had a new signature this time last year? I managed to put twenty something fish in the boat and I lost just as many because of not being able to man all the poles at once. I think it was a balmy 18 degrees out that day. They seem to bee schooled up by size, I very seldom catch a 13lb and a twenty something lbs out of the same hole. There is a missed conception that they hole up in the deepest darkest wholes this time of year and that couldn't be any more from the truth. In Fact this is one of my favorite time of year to use a bobber. If you know of a good mussel bed in 6ft of water the bite could be mind bottling! The best advise I could give ya is bundle up nice and cozy, fill your gas tank and spend some time on the water. There is only one thing I can tell you for sure, you will not catch the next world record setting on the couch eating potato chips!! Good luck to ya and stay safe!!

18. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    hell dan if u want someone to brave it with ya i might be able to go depending on the work schedule just let me know when u want to go and ill see if im off

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    There ya have it! They can, and do, get caught this time of year. As for me, I'll wait to see if there is any hogs being posted before I venture out there. I'm studying the teachings of the Great Sinse Kutter. Being in a nice, warm house when its 20 degrees out is pretty nice :smile2: OF course, I'd brave the elements if I knew there was a decent bite going on. Last time I flew over the river, it looked pretty high though. I've been respooling, oiling, rerigging, etc everything to get ready for 2010. The ProCat received a few more additions this past week as well. It got another set of rod holders, and two plier/knife holders mounted on the back for easy access to anything you'll need while fishing. In the next two weeks, it will be receiving an AQUALUNG that I purchased from Mr Steve Douglas of Monster Rod Holders. After doing my homework, I found that his Aqualung filtration and oxygen injection system is the Cats Meow :wink: Also need to add a VHF antenna, and if I'm feeling froggy, I might add a stereo. Well See.

OH, that reminds me. Any Suzuki guys out there? I have a blinking red light on my Suzuki Gauge anytime the engine is turned on now. I noticed the hours are at 100 exactly. I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that its telling me its time to do some routine service? It has plenty of oil in it, and runs like a champ, so I'm guessing its recommended maintenance time.

20. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    The road that turns off of 21 right by the bulk propane plant or the main road at the top of the hill?