I just cant decide on a rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catfish_clayton, Dec 22, 2009.

1. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I'm looking at two rods. Team Catfishes 1ton level 3 and Catfish Safari's River Rod. What's Your opinions?

Oh yeah, any suggestions about other rods would be very helpful as well. Since I do have 7 months to shop around until I get to go fishing for flatties. Anyway, I'm looking for something that will cast a heavy weight a long distance since Ill be fishing primarily from shore. I also need it to have a sturdy tip since I do allot of fishing in heavy current. Price is of no importance. I just want to impress my buddies when I get home. So I'm looking for the best of the best!

Any info would be much appreciated.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It would be very impressive just to noodle the fish. lOL

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I got the Catfish Safari Rod and I love it.Don't know nothing about the other.Go with your gut feeling.It's usually right 99% of the time.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    they both have gotten pretty good review, although i haven't used ether... personally i have been looking a the team catfish rods...

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I used someone else's Team Catfish 1 tons, not sure how those are rated or what these were (other than 1 tons) but they were pretty soft in the tip. Nothing at all like Catfish Safari River rods.

I have fished with both the Catfish Safari River Rods and Lake Rods. If you are fishing extreme current the River Rods are nice. Slow to fairly fast current and the Lake Rods seems more suited. The River Rods more resemble a broomstick but work quite well fighting large fish in heavy current.

Order some of each......:wink::smile2:

6. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ive also owned and used both rods your talkin about, and if it was me buying new rods today! id pick the tangling with catfish rods! by jeremy leach! best bang for your buck! i use 8 of them now and so far my biggest fish ive caught on them is 85 lbs, they dont bend like a noodle like the others! they have great back bone!

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I've heard good reviews of the TWC rods so I am not knocking them by this comment at all.

I just wanted to point out that the rods being discussed on this thread hardly bend like a noodle. LOL!:smile2:

Maybe Steve was comparing the TWC to 'standard' production cheapo rods that DO bend like a noodle.

8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    imho, I have a fishing buddie that has the team catfish rods...and I have not really impressed with it and neither is he..I was going to buy one but he got it and im not impressed one bit...This is the only team catfish product i dislike...But thts ok every companie has there flaws..and that is jmo...But the safari rods i have been looking at them andd they seem like good rods...Im also looking at the twc and big cat rods...But Good luck on finding a rod...Like paul says in one of his videos on youtube..The rod market it so over satturated and i cannon decide on a rod:sad2::eek:oooh::embarassed:

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I really like the Tangling With Catfish rods as do everyone who touches my rods. Jeremy is a great fisherman and designed a very versatile rod that meets the needs of Catfishermen. If you have not put your hands on one, then find one and check it out.

10. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I have a catfish safari flathead (8'), and a twc rod. I personally like the twc rod better, it seems to be a more durable rod, for the money. From what I've seen and read on the team catfish rods they seem to be more of a setup for circle hooks. I think its great that we've had a choice these past few years on catfish rods. We use to have to settle for a musky rod, or something designed for saltwater fishing. The last time I looked Steve at catfish safari didn't have any rods in stock that was last week. The other thing that concerns me is we've had a few of these guys get on boc selling there products, and then they go away. To me it seems they use us then leave, maybe thats not the case with all of them. I hope Jeremy at (twc) and team catfish stay with us awhile. But then with all the money I've spent on catfish rods, maybe I should of spoke to Kenny (flamekeeper) about custom rods.

11. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    buy one of each and sell the one you don't like

12. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Word around these parts is, FlameKeeper is the man you want.I'm just saying.:wink: And Merry Christmas,3 days early :big_smile:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Flamekeeper sure makes nice rods. I have had the pleasure of handling some of his creations and they are fine fishing rods. Cast real well and got the backbone for the big ones. Figure he would build to your specs, if he doesn't have one already made up.

14. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I would find out who makes the blank. Thats the important thing. Alot of different brand rods may be the same blank. Then its a matter of money. I heard,on this site,that meathunter rods are the same blank as a team catfish rod. Yet they are significantlyt cheaper. Its the same with the team catfish grippers. They can be bought at cabelas for cheaper. Or their hooks,which are identical to daaichi hooks. Its a gimmick. Go for a good rod,not a cool name.

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

You would have almost certainly saved money.Kenny puts out some sweet stuff.Don,t forget Leland at Cherokee Rod Co.either.He puts out some sweet stuff also.:wink:.

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Kind of off topoc a bit,, but, what is the line rating in #'s on a "One Ton",, or TWC..

Some of the terminology isn't too informative,, on some of the rods I hear about on here..

But, for Flathead Rods,, I build and use, 7' One Piece, at 40-60-# rated E-glass blank, and a Roller Tip, 13" rear handles w/ 6 1/2 foregrip.
    and Use 50# mono,, They're working pretty good for me..

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    thanks guys for the comments:cool2:

80 8' 1 30-60 1-8 .766 8.0 M/Fast GOOD 6.95

The blank shown will snap a 15# flathead straight up out of the water from about 8' out from the bank and into your lap on a hook-set, I've seen it done by one of their 8'6" mega mags 2pc blanks that I had designed for myself to fish and its only rated 20/40lb 1-5oz. pretty much all of them I build will come close to doing that I believe.:wink:

Since then the company sold out and the new owners only manufacture 1pc blanks formerly GUSA, Graphite-USA now United-Composite USA one of 2 blanks I build on and guarantee.

Click on my link below and look @ some others as well.

18. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In

I am here for the long run my friend!!!! I have been Catfishing for years and tournament fishing for 10 years now and have been working on getting this rod out for 3 years now........

From what I have seen and heard I would recomend Flamekeeper if you are looking for a custom built rod. His rods are top notch and he seem to be one of the good guys as well. If your looking for something a little less expensive and on the mass production side of things then I would recomend...Well I bet you can figure that one out "FEEL THE FIGHT"

19. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I can't comment on the other rods being discussed on this thread other than I am sure they a good quality. However, I can say that the Catfish Safari rods (both lake and river) are very stout and load up unlike any other rod I have used. They can take a ton of abuse. I love mine!

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have 2 TC 3/4 tons, 2 CS lake rods and 2 CS River rods. They go up in stiffness in that order. The 3/4 seem to be suited more for lakes in my kind of fishing. The lake rods from CS are a good all around rod. Prefer these for drifting. The river rods are more suited for river fishing and faster water. JMO