i hope this don't happen to yall, ever

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Dec 4, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well monday we went down to the red river, and it was really windy! we got 4 miles back on the river and before we set up i sprayed this stuff called buck bomb all over a salt cedar on the windward side of the riverbank. this was done as more of a joke to my buddy travis, because i rarely use scents. well about 30 minutes later as i was contemplating taking a nap, a big mulie buck walked right up to that cedar and put his face in it. i got all exited and using my knee for a rest, pulled the shot horribly. i hit him really far back. well he got off the river, i thought, and i went to where he was. it looked like a crime scene and there was blood sprayed everywhere. instead of staying where i was, i went to see where he went into the ranchland. he had bedded right behind a sandhill at the edge, and was off the river before i could shoot again. i just wanted to make sure it was a trail i could follow and ended up bumping a gutshot deer. not a good thing to do. well where i am at if a landowner catches you on their property, gun in hand or not, they can have you arrested. none of the landowners down there like that we can legally hunt the river; they say they own it. so we get back to the bridge and call the game warden, and he says he can't come out that day, and that i should drive the roads up there and see if i can find out who owns the property, then ask their permission. so we spent a few hours going to houses up there, and some weren't home, and others looked out their curtains and wouldn't answer the door. so i lost a deer. i don't give a rip about the horns, even though they were massive, it's the meat he would have put in the freezer. judging him from other mulies i have shot, he was over 200 pounds easy. so i am bummed. on the flip side, one of my buddies shot a 250# boar, and another shot a 300 pounder. thanks for reading.

2. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    sorry had a freind do the same thing this year.shot the deer ran to someone else place.and they told him to get off the place.so he lost his deer

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That is a real bummer. Hope it doesn't happen again. That would definitely be a big downer.

4. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    Man that is messed up, i hope they did not find the dear and put it in their freezer too :/ well what happens if your boat dog ran onto their property after the deer and did not come back can you go get him?

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Thats to bad. In Kansas you are allowed to trespass to retrieve game or pursue a wounded animal. Even if the property is posted. If the land owner shows up while you are on his land and tells you to leave, then you must leave.

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nothing good can be said about that, it just sucks. I feel for ya.

I don't really know what the law is up here. I hunt the land I live on so I don't generally have(or need) a licence and I have had to track one across property lines a couple of times. I just trust to the common sense and honor of those who might get involved.
    Makes me sick if I lose even a squirrel so I cross my fingers, keep a low profile, and go for it.

Legal or not, I figure it is the right thing to do.

7. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    That`s a tough break Jordan , I just can`t believe you can be arrested for searching for a wounded buck !!!

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I lost the first deer I shot with a bow . Hated it too ! Hope it doesn't happen to you again . It's a shame people won't let you retrieve an animal and that that might as well let it go to waste .

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would risk the ticket. :big_smile: Not that you did anything wrong, so don't take it that way. I would cross property lines to retrieve wounded game. Here, you get a warning first before you can be prosecuted. They have to ask you to leave, and if you don't, or come back, then you can be charged. Not something that I take advantage of, and I certainly respect the land owners, but in that circumstance, I would take the chance. Guess you don't need a wise guy to tell ya to just sit still for a while next time, eh? :confused2:

Maybe the warden can help you recover the head?

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    If this isn't what was going on, then please forgive this whole post. I don't know for certain where or how you were hunting, but I want to shed some light on the matter for those who aren't from these parts. You may have been perfectly legal in what you were doing & where you shot the deer...... if that's the case, then please forgive me. But.........

Unless you've leased or owned land in Texas along a river, you cannot imagine the frustration on the other side of the fence. There's good reason those people don't allow you on their property to retrieve a deer, they aren't just acting ugly.

In Texas, if you hunt in a riverbottom you can walk up and down the river and hunt without actually owning or leasing any of the land on either side. This causes an absolute NIGHTMARE for any landowner up and down the river. In years past, it was legal to drive four wheelers up and down the rivers and hunt the riverbed, but they put an end to that. I guess this is Texas' answer to people who want to hunt "public land." They say fine, just go hunt down the river somewhere. The state darn sure isn't going to provide any land for you to hunt. Meanwhile, there are landowners & hunting operations up and down those rivers who are managing their deer herds & working their butts off on feeders & food plots, just so that somebody can slip in on them and shoot a buck out from under them. What a lot of guys would do, is drive down the riverbed until they found a good deer trail & then slip up into the adjoining property to hunt. It sucks and it's wrong.

I'm sure this post will crap in somebody's Post Toasties, but that's just the situation that the State of Texas has created.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i hear ya jerrod, and i don't in any way take offense to your post. i have seen some extremely poor sportsmanship on the rivers, and it's sad as hell. you can watch some of these guys and see where the nonhunting public gets their opinions about hunters. on the prairie dog town fork of the red river and the canadian river, you can drive a vehicle in the riverbed; those are the only two rivers in the state that you can do that. my party and i follow the rules, as do most of the guys down there. i can't tell you how many deer i have seen walking just off the riverbed that i have let walk, because it's illegal to shoot them there. until they are well onto the river, i won't pull the trigger. this is the first deer i have lost there, and i have killed several. it seems as though the poor ranchers with their $1500 a weekend deer hunts are the victims of folks that hunt the river, but i can't see it that way. it's federal property, plain and simple. legal for you to come down and hunt, legal for me to hunt. about the only thing i shoot down there with corn in its stomach is hogs, and those ranchers want you to pay out the nose to hunt them too, although they gripe even on the news about the problems pigs give their land. pigs are the only thing i will bait on the river. on a full moon night i will put out corn and beer and shoot them by moonlight. other than that, it's spot and stalk. as for crossing the fence anyway, i have to look at the big picture. if i defied the law and went after the deer anyway and was arrested, i would lose my job, plain and simple and no questions asked. i have kiddos to feed and bills to pay, so it's not worth it. thanks for the replies. hey jerrod i'll try to find the vehicles in riverbeds part of the law...

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    here it is, and the trespass part too...
    It is unlawful to:
    drive a motor vehicle in the bed of a navigable freshwater stream, unless approved by a local river access plan established by a city, county, or river authority. This law does not apply to the Canadian River and Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River. There are other exemptions as well. The full text of this law may be found in Texas Parks and Wildlife Code, Chapter 90.
    Retrieval of Game: No person may pursue a wounded wildlife resource across a property line without the consent of landowner of the property where the wildlife resource has fled. Under the trespass provisions of the Penal Code, a person on a property without the permission of the landowner is subject to arrest.

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I understand the landowners point of view. I know it would get frustrating. But if a fella came to my door and asked to recover a deer off my land that he shot on the river I would let him do it. I feel if he did shoot it on my property illegally, he dang sure aint coming to my door and asking to recover it. He would have just gone in and got it.

The only thing that bugs me is I hear all these landowners talking about managing THEIR deer herd. The land owner doesn't own the deer, just the property they are on. And all the work they put in with food plots just ensures that all the deer stay on their property. I do feel sorry for regular deer hunters in Texas.

14. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That makes me wonder what the laws are in Tn. The last 2 deer I have shot have crossed onto another piece of land only about 75 yards but I figured I shot them so I am going to get them and not let them go to waste. Anybody know what the rules are around here.
    Thanks

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sorry to hear this jordan.:confused2: Even if i had posted ground i would let a man go get his meat if it came on my ground. Prolly help him drag it out. Theres a certain element of todays society that are just plain selfish.

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Dang Jordan!! It's a shame that the land owners are so inconsiderate that they will not let a man do the right thing by trying to find a wounded animal. I guess if you saw a coyote chasing their cattle, they would want you to shoot it, But not let you recover a wounded or dead deer. This is redicullous. Sorry to hear you didn't get the deer. I'm not sure what the laws are in Ky in a situation like that.

I do know a few years ago a guy bought a piece of property that joins dads land. He put up Posted signs and I ask him if that meant we was to not be over on the property. He said he didn't want no one over there deer hunting. So dad put up posted signs as well. There is a gas line road just on dads side of theproperty line. That fall I was back there deer hunting and here he comes walking up the road. I told him he was trespassing and to get off the property as soon as possible. He turns and starts back down the road. I told him that was not what I had told him and he said it was to thick to get back on his property.I told him he should have thought about that when I had ask him about hunting on his property. We came to an understanding real quick. You should have seen him with a knife cutting his way through that thicket.
    I figure what's good for the goose, is good for the gander as well.
    Not meaning to sound like an a$$ho!e but after he said what he did, I knew I would see him on dads property. and I would have my day when I did. I'm sure most anyone else would have done the same in the situation.

17. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    A sad situation. I hunt public land, and have talked to the landowner adjacent to it. There is a trail down to the lake, but he own land somewhere south of it so we just never go south of the trail. He stops in to talk to us in the evening sometimes. He surely appreciates that we don't go on his property. He gets quite upset about people who sneak in and shoot towards his house with his wife and kids there. I understand that point of view. He can check the trail and see for sure that we don't go towards his property, but if one of us shot a deer I think we could get permission to enter to retrieve it. He seems like a pretty good guy mostly so I would wait till he got home to ask him, or at least inform him that he had an animal on his property that he could make use of.

A good story this year came from a guy who shot a deer, it was running and his shot almost knocked it down. He waited 30-40 mins then went looking, it got up and ran, he didn't get a shot. He waited and trailed it again, it again got up, jumped in the lake and swam accross the lake and got away. He figured it was almost bled out by the time it went in the lake.