I hope every body had better luck than I

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by riverlover, May 26, 2008.

1. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    never did set my limb lines out this weekend good thing or they would be under water. i just haven't had good luck all year. friday night i fished i my father's pond caught 7lbs channel and 4 more around 3lbs and about thirty nice size pirch. using the pirch for the next night flathead fishing!!! well the next night came i was already poles, bait (great bait) nothing should stop me now. reached my fishing hole and it was to full of floating trash. so we decided to go somewhere new went down river. found a wing dyke with allot of logs on the side. decided to fish here. started in and hit the dyke (crap). no damage to boat (damn the luck). had five poles in two with cut shad,two with pirch, and one with worm. fished from 7pm to 3am and the only thing i caught was a pond stocker. am i the only one not having a good year my year is starting really slow. my third time fishing for flathead and still nothing. i think my pirch in my pond are sour. any ideas i need all the help i can get. :angry::eek:oooh::embarassed::crazy::angry:

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Nathan, welcome to the BOC!

Where you fishing at? I personally have never gone and targeted flatheads before so I doubt I'll be much help. On the other hand I have done farely well going after the blues here as of late, I have found them near the mouth of creeks during high water, and when the water began to drop I found a few near the main channel of the river in really deep holes.

3. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    fishing in the jeff city area. i fish a little every where. behind dykes deep holes and mouth of little creeks and rivers. i'll absorb your advise thanks:wink:

4. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    AlsoYou might try an oxbow lake or offset cove.Flathead don't like a lot of current,and this high water's driving them crazy.Also,try rocky, bluff banks.It's at least some protection against strong current,and a nice ambush point for feeding Flatties.Also,welcome to the B.O.C.

5. dust_stl

dust_stl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I run a lot of limb lines, was out on Big River over the weekend and caught several flatheads and channels lost a 45-50pound flat on the edge of the boat. On channels I normally have bait set about 6in under water on my flathead lines I set those deeper a foot to three feet deep also put a big weight about 4-6 ounce 6-8inch above the hook I always catch more fish on the lines witht the heavy weight above the hook. I even use this tatic when water level is low and there isnt much current. I also would recomend trying gold fish I seem to have better luck on gold fish these days over gills. I normally do every other line with a diff bait some goldfish .gills. and minnows then after dark I see what they are bitten and go heavy with whats working. Hope this helps