I hear the promise land calling

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mac-b, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    This afternoon I will load the F 150 up with cloths and cig's and make my way up North to the Chester VA to meet up with my fishing partner Jim, from the BOC. The next day, Saint Pattys day, we will connect up with the Mighty Capt. of the James River, Capt. Hughs, and go catfishing for two days.

Just think, for the first time in a long time, I will not have to catch my bait for a trip. I will not have to be pleasant all day on a trip. Will not have to cut up the bait, nor cast out the bait. Will not have to give instrution as to how to fight the fish. Will not have to net the fish and on and on. I will be like a hog that fell into the slop or a rabbit that was thrown into the briarpatch.

I know all the dumb questions to ask Capt. Hughs and might try a few out on him. He appears to be almost twice my size, so I better not push my luck too far.

Most likely I will have my junior reporter notebook with me and I might gather enough data for a feature story about the James River and it's mighty Capt. for the Charlotte Observer/Sports.

The main reason Brother Jim is going on this trip, he says, is to hold on to me when the big one gets on my rig, so it will not pull this old man into the drink. It appears that I will have to teach this young whipper snapper a thing or two about old fishermen. But, I migh squeal like Kriss did on her video when she had a pole bender on while she was fishing with Whistler, if I connect with a seventy pounder.

Every chance I get, I will be thinking of you folks that have cabin fever due to ice and snow. You'll know who you are!

Fishing report due on March 19, 2008 and I bet you it will be a good one. Mac

2. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mac that sounds like a plan.Now all you have to do is to work your plan.I hope you have a great day.
    smokey

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Best of Luck to you Mac! Sounds like you've got a good plan coming together. Will be looking for the report!:wink::big_smile:

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Wishing the best for you and jim on the MIGHT james good luck to all....We'll be waiting to here the report's:big_smile:

5. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Good Luck Mac send Pics I hope to go local shortly

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mac-Pictures buddy-good luck to you:wink:

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    you give us a good report and give us a good report rick

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay Mac Go Hit a HOME RUN OK. Have a Blast Buddy,And Remember We use to like Ya.LOL J.D.
    :wink:

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It seems like yesterday that I was there. In a few more day a New Joisey guy will come down there and destroy the delicate balance of beauty and tranquility there. I wish you a fish of a lifetime down there (up there for you) in Catfish Mecca. Best of luck and have a wonderful safe journey.

Watch out for Randy and if you have a bucket, make sure you relieve Randy of his cameras before you relieve... oh never mind lol!

10. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    A guide leading a guide???? Isn't that like the blind leading the blind????:smile2:
    Sounds like fun, Mac. Good luck, safe travels, and God bless.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Be safe, have fun and best of luck! Hope you catch that 70+ hog. :big_smile:

12. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brother Jim Helring and myself met the good Capt. Hugh's on the James River at the appointed time and we had a great time. Before I tell you about the trip let me share this with you. I had never met Jim before the trip, nor Capt. Hugh's and it was like we had known each others for years. That is what brotherhood is all about.

The trip was a success, anyway you measure it. I did not get my seventy pounder, eventho we had a shot at it. But, we did catch close to 350 pounds of Ark. Blues under less than desirable conditions. We caught five in the five to nine pound range in the AM and came on strong in the PM with catches of 12# (two), 13#, 16# (two), 25#, 29#, 35#, 41#, 42# and a long (46.5") blue weighing in at 54 pounds. All fish were released alive for others to enjoy in the future.

It was quite a birthday trip for me and we topped it off with a trip to one of the local buffets and went back to the motel and sleep like babies. Jim informed me that he was asleep before his eye lids closed.

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mac-THANKS FER SHARING! looks like you had a good-un,them sure some nice fish.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Nice fish Mac! Congrats to you AND Jim!

That was a mighty skinny 46 1/2"/ 54 , Maybe their scale was busted. That sounds more like a 68-70 to me lol! :wink:

So, did ya have a great birthday?

Happy birthday!

15. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Man that must have been nice. Thank for sharing.

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, so I know that YOU caught all them cause ol Jim didn't catch nuttin, RIGHT!?!?!?!?!??!

17. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    nice pics Mac, glad to hear u had a great time & a memorable birthday

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice pics Mac, glad ya had a good B/Day.

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thanks for the report and great pics Mac! :big_smile: Happy B.Day to you! :009::009::009::009::009: Thats really neat to be able to meet up with another B.O.C. brother for the 1st time and be like old friends! :cool2:

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the fishing report. Good way to spend a birthday!! Happy Birthday to you also.