I haven't been with a gun yet this spring.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by cathog, Apr 10, 2009.

1. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I haven't been turkey hunting with a gun this spring, but I have called in 3 jakes and got 1 hen to come in in my back pasture. As you would know it they came in really fast and the camera was still zipped up in my pack. These birds were easterns that have been restocked to my area of Texas over the last several years. I have not seen enough of them to shoot them yet, but have hunted them every year for the past 3 with a camera. I head out to west Texas chasing the Rio Grandes for my gun hunting, just haven't had a chance to get out there this season. Hopefully next time I get some birds in here at the house I will have the video camera ready. By the way, when I got the jakes in, there was what sounded like a big gobbler sounding off about 100 yards up the creek. I couldnt go to him because the jakes had me pinned down.

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I went to the barn right before daylight to feed this morning and heard turkeys sounding off everywhere. I went to my truck and retrieved one of my homemade cedar boxcalls and headed to the creek. Now keep in mind I have no camo on and was just planning on feeding and heading to work. I squatted down by a big oak tree with some small shrubs for cover in front of it. First tree yelp on my box got a really loud gobble that only seemed to be about 30 yards away. About 3minutes later I can hear the gobbler coming out of the tree. Flapping of the wings and all, he lands about 15 yards from where I am at and goes into full strut. When he turns around I can see a 9 to 11 inch really fat beard poking out. I guess I am going to try to keep this bird around. He is an eastern gobbler, which was almost extinct here 20 years ago. Texas Parks and Wildlife restocked easterns to my part of Texas several years ago, and every year we seem to see and hear more of them. I am going to try to get him in again, and get pictures of my new "pet" gobbler to post for you all. I was just so excited this morning I had to post about it.

3. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    There is nothing more exciting to me than to hear a big thundering gobbler up close and see him in full strut.