I have this fear of being in a boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by flathunter, Jan 3, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been a bank fisherman all my life, in the past few years I have tried a few trips in boats...From jon boats, canoes, and even 17ft v bottoms..I still dont enjoy it and feel totally out of controll, I always have this feeling that I am gonna drown...Is there anyway to get over this phobia???..I just dont like fishing without firm ground under my feet?

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    can you swim? you seem to have tried facing your fears with no good results.

3. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    That's my first question also; "Can you swim?" I myself have a similar phobia but it's only when I cannot see land in all directions. 95% of my fishing is done from a boat & I'm ok as long as I can see land (too many Jaws Movies LOL).

If you can swim & that's not the issue, I would reccomend taking short boating trips with someone you can completely trust & who will be patient with your fear.

J

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No I cant swim at all, I would sink like a rock...But even with a life Jacket on it does not help..Every little rock the boat makes I tense up and almost have a panic attack..And this was even in a big boat, I am always so glad to get back on shore and always vow to never try it agin.

5. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i cant swim and this past summer was my first on a boat, since i couldnt swim and had never been on a boat, the boat opperater have one seat with a seatbelt, sounds stupid but it made me feel a little more in place.

i have a BAD fear of drowning and i felt alot more comfy knowing i wasnt going overboard.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Jack,
    I'm telling you its the Mellon Curse. I wish you the best but fear the worst!:wink::smile2:

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    You need to learn how to swim. That will take care of it. I have no problems with thinking I'm gonna drown, of course I can swim though, but for the life of don't know how I learned nobody taught :wink:me, must of been trial and era. Seriously if you realy want to get over the fear, take a class in swimming, nothing to be ashamed of who knows someday you may save a life.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My last trip with Mellon was really the straw that broke the camels back..We were in his 17ft targa on the Ohio river, lots of pleasure boats and speed boats on the water...WE WERE HITTING HUGE WAKES, and our boat was going 3-4 feet in the air, and crashing down on it's sides..A couple times the bow of the boat was sticking straight up and the motor was almost going under water...I could not stay in my seat and was flung everywhere...It really was a bad experince.

9. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Jack a phobia is hard to live with. If you want to fish from a boat. Get you a good life jacket and get in a pool that is deep and get used to it keeping you afloat and you trust it. Then get in a boat with someone you trust and want make fun of you or try to scare you. Get him or her to show you how to operate it and let you drive. Stay close to the bank if you fall in you can always dog paddle to the bank with your life jacket on.
    Hieghts make me uncomfortable!!

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Shoot.. I am not a big lover of boating.. but I feel better about it now that I can operate and drive a boat. For me, it is a lot of the fear of not knowing how to control the machine.

Driving the boat made me more tolerant for sure. I feel more at ease and understand how to read the water and know when those big waves come and what it will feel like, to mentally prepare.

I can swim, so I am sure that helps me out quite a bit as well. As for your partner rocking the boat out like that... I'd have smacked him in the head with a tire iron.

11. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    its a lil late to have your dad push you off the end of the pier and let you doggy paddle back. but, its never too late to take a good swim class. i would look into your local (or closest) ymca. they usually offer swim classes from competition on down to "rock" as you describe it. another option would be to look up some info. on some of the boating safety websites like the coast guard, marine police, etc.

i have been swimming all of my life. dont really know how i learned either, ive been told it started as a bad joke when my dad pushed me off of a pier. (who knows) i have also taken many classes with the ymca, and lifeguards, and of course i was in an amphibeous unit of the usmc, so we did some pretty crazy stuff in the water. if i didnt know how to swim, i dont think i would go out in a boat either.

they say that knowledge is power. hopefully learning to swim will give ya power over your fears. the fishing really is better out there.

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    As others have suggested learning how to swim would be a great place to start. Even though you fish from the bank most of the time. it would still be beneficial for you to learn how to swim. It could save your life some day or possibly allow you to save someone else. Put yourself in this hypothetical situation.

You on the river fishing and someone with you ends up in the water and cannot make it out on there own. Your see them and would be able to help them if only you knew how to swim. You never learned how so you are not able to help that person and God forbid it be a child. If only you had learned how to swim.

Learning how to swim is very important if you are around water. Even if it is not on a boat. I know people that have drawn and others that have had people drawn despite there best efforts. At least they were able to try and save the person. The fact that the person drawn was hard enough for my friend to deal with. He has said several times he did not know what he would have done if he wasn't able to at least get in the water and try to save the person.

With that TRUE story out of the way and back to you issue. Spending time on a boat in calm situations will help. Sounds like you and Mellon had a bad day on the water and not the type of day that will help you get over this. Like said before spend time in the water with a good PFD (Personal Flotation Device) and gain trust in the PFD that it will do its job if you are ever in the water. I think that learning to swim is your best hope for getting over this.

Best of luck,
    David

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Get a good vest/pfd. They make very comfortable ones with pockets. Get in a boat and find a riffle. Put the boat at the lower end and walk to the upstream end. Sit your butt down and float feet first (always float feet first) down to the boat. The water will be roaring in your ears but you can always stand up.

After you get over that fear try a little deeper water. You need to know how a pfd feels when it is doing it's job. Once you have knowlege, the fear goes away.

Good luck and remember.... there's a lot of places to bank fish! lol!

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Word.

That's not funny, Mellon.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mellon was not rocking the boat...He was driving thru huge wakes that speed boats, and barges were putting off..I was coming off my seat a good foot and slaming back down on it...WE WERE IN WAKES SO BIG, his 75hp motor was not pushing us thru them the baot was coming to a stop...Really scary stuff!:crazy:

16. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    It sounds like the trip with 3 - 4 ft waves didn't help much. Maybe try a smaller body of water or stay close to the shore.

You should definately learn to swim. Even if you are bank fishing, you may need to swim someday.

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I cant swim at all myself and I get seasick on the salt. However I just wear a lifejacket and take a dramamine when on the salt and as soon as the fish bite I forget about that other stuff.

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I think that some people just cant swim period. I tried many lessons when I was a kid and it never worked. I even knew someone whose parents had a lap pool, only 4 feet deep. I tried forever in that pool and always found myself at the bottom. :embarassed:

19. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Well Jack I can't swim either.In fact I about drowned in WoodRiver,Il.swimming pool when I was 8 yrs old. Stupid me can't swim and dive off a diving board. Talk about dumb. It doesn't bother me being in a boat ,my only stupid thing is I don't wear a life jacket all the time.Have you ever come close to drowning?Thats what it sounds like. Got to be some reason in the back of your mind that makes you fear being in boats. Hopefully you will get over it in time. Boats are a lot of fun but, like everything else you got to respect them.And trust the operatorof the boat.
    Good advice on the learning how to swim.Guess I need lesson my self huh.

20. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jack I think the only thing you should do is sell me your boat for $1.00 to get this heavy feeling off your back :smile2: