I have sleep apnea, info needed please!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TNVOLCAT, Jan 24, 2007.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've had 2 sleep studies performed in the last month and have been diagnosed with "severe" sleep apnea. I picked up my C-PAP and other equipment yesterday and attemped to use it last night for the first time. My machine has the de-humidifier but I didn't have any distilled water for the tank so I couldn't use it. I woke up about 3:00 am and my throat and mouth were very dry and it was driving me crazy. So I took it off and went the rest of the night without it. Not a very good first experience with it. Any of you out there that share my pain with sleep apnea, please give me some advice or a good word or at least something to help encourage me. The Doc told me it would be hard, but I wasn't expecting this! Thanks in advance!

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Brandon, good luck.

I too have the machine with the humidifier. I am supposed to use distilled water, but for lack of, I just ran mine the first few times with tap water. The problem I have is frequently waking up with water dripping from the mask. Even when I set it on the lowest setting.

3. tinlizzy

tinlizzy New Member

State:
    New York
    I have a friend that has the same problem and has the machine, she told me she added a little salt to the water, but better check with the Dr. first

4. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I also have a c-pap machine Mine is set a 17which is pretty close to the max without adding oxygen. I have used it for almost 3 years now and I never sleep without it. I have used plain water in mine at times and it is still running, even with the humidfier I still have problems with dry mouth but I feel so much better when I use it it is worth putting up with the dry mouth. Do have the nose mask or the full face mask? Good luck in adjusting to ti

Sharon

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tap water will work ok.But will build up inside the tank(Grey Matter) more. Just means you should take it apart and clean more often. If you are awaken with excess water driping from mask. Then you are probably filling your tank to full. Look for the water line and fill only to that level. Also raise your hose and let any excess water drain back into the tank. Do this before you put your mask on. I hope this helps.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brandon don't be discouraged. There are millions of people useing a c-pac.I have used one with a full face mask for about 12years. My setting is considered high. (18). As for as water use what you have available. Properly adjust your head straps to firm but not to tight. The answer to the mouth getting dry will probablynever change. I just take a bottle of cold water to bed with me and if I awake with dry mouth I take a good drink and start all over again. Believe me you will get to where you will not try sleeping without the c-pac. I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions. Send me a PM>:lol:

7. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Boy I feel for you Brandon. I also have sleep apnea. I get sleep some nites and some nites I don't, With out the machine I suffer. Just try and get used to it and once you get used to it you'll get a good nites sleep and after awhile you'll like that D machine. I call mine Connie...I use the full face mask.If you need help or advice just give me a hollor...

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brandon, it took me over a year to get used to wearing that mask all night. As far as the dry mouth, my Medico suggested a chin strap. Of course, at that time, my machine was set on 17. It was blowing the wax out of my ears. It has since been lowered to 13. The book on my machine suggests if you're getting moisture in your mask, it may be from condensation. Insulate your hose if possible.

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those that got there first.

9. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Brandon,

I also have a CPAP. I have been using it for approximately 3 years. I have only tried to sleep without it 3 times since I got it. Not a chance of falling asleep. Once you get used to it you won't be able to sleep without it. I am close to the maximum setting on mine as well. I use the nose mask. The chin strap will help you keep your mouth closed at night and might help with the dry mouth until you get used to wearing the mask. I just take a cold glass of water to bed with me and sit it within easy reach. As someone previously said, if you wake up with a dry mouth just take a good drink and start all over. I have never used the humidifier so I can't give you much advice there. My major demon was the feeling of clostrophoebia. Once I got over that I was fine. It probably took a week or so to chase away that demon. Don't give up! A good nights sleep is just around the corner. Need anything send me a PM. Good luck!

10. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Judy just spent the night at the hospital last night in a sleep study and is going to have to wear one of the mask, she still has to go back Friday night and do it again with the mask on. They had an empty room and let me stay the night and I don't see how anyone can sleep on them beds and in that cooooool room, but I am thankful they let me stay.

11. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, I made it through the second night and did much better. I got some distilled water so I could use the de-humidifier and it made all the difference. I remember waking up 3-4 times to roll over and reposition in the bed. I didn't have a problem with my mouth getting dry during the night but, it was a little dry this morning. I woke up with a slight headache which I think is from wearing the mask all night. Also to answer a few of your questions, I'm using a full face mask and the machine is set on 11. There is what they called a "ramp" button on the machine. It will start out at a lower pressure and gradually increase after you've been in bed for 30 minutes. I really like this feature. Thanks you all for the responses! I keep yall posted on how I'm progressing.

12. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I am glad that it is working out for you.You'll get to where you can't sleep with out it., it'll take you a few weeks to get used to,
    Mine kept moving on me while I was sleeping,and waking me up.So I got those straps tightened down pretty tight.

13. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think thats why I woke up with a headache this morning because I have the mask adjusted pretty tight on my face to keep a good seal.

14. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
  15. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I feel your pain, brother. I've got it too. They put me on the machine, and I couldn't use it at all. My problem isn't really the type that the machine will fix right now, it's obstructive. I can't breathe through my nose.

To make a long story short, I'm going under the knife for nasal surgery February 1st, that's 1 week from today. I'm fishing my first acats tournament Saturday, and going next Thursday to get surgery done. I'm pretty ticked off about the timing, but I guess I'm gonna take what help I can get. I hope to be up and around well enough to fish the middle of February tournament they have coming up. We'll see.

They're gonna fix my deviated septum, reduce my turbinates (the little dangly things in my nose) and clear out my clogged up sinus cavities. At this time, I have absolutely no movement from the outside into my sinuses. I have to force air in and out of my nose. Sleep has been pretty dadgum difficult to come by for me for about 5 years. I go through spells where I toss & turn for 3 or 4 nights in a row, then I crash and sleep like a dead man...... then I toss & turn, etc. It blows. Hopefully the surgery will at least help me breathe through my nose well enough that I'll be able to use the cpap. Hope so anyway, I can't see why I'd have to spend all that darn money on the cpap and not have it work!

If this surgery doesn't work, he says my next option is surgery on the back of my throat. I can't imagine a worse pain, and the doctor says it's even worse than I think. Doesn't sound promising. Hopefully this surgery will enable me to sleep better.

Brandon, I know this was a doom-n-gloom story by me & I sure didn't mean to scare the crap out of you. Sorry 'bout that. Most folks I know who have a cpap machine say that it is the absolute best sleep they've ever had. I hope it works equally well for you as it has for most of my friends & family who use it.

16. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    And I thought I was the only one who had this problem. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few years ago and had to start using the c-pap machine too. I had to start out with the full face mask because I couldn't breath through my nose at all. It took me quite a while to get used to it but I must say that once I did get used to it I woke up in the mornings feeling quite rested. Along with getting more rest I had more energy during the day and I was able to loose almost 50 of the 97 pounds I needed to loose. The last 47 has been quite tough though.
    My doctor told me a few months ago that I could probably stop using the machine but I have had to go back on it. I started waking up in the mornings feeling tired and with the same old symptoms I used to have.
    All I can say is that using the c-pap machine and having surgery on my sinuses and throat were the best things I have done to get my health back to where it should be.

17. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    oh my god. icant believe there are this many of us out there. ive had this since i can remember. im 31 now, but have never been diagnosed because of no insurance. ive always had problems waking up because when i do finally get to sleep i sleep so hard that ive slept through a tornado(no joke). i finally found a cpap machine from a relative but i couldnt use it because i couldnt breathe out of my nose. ithought i was going to suffocate and had to open my mouth. i begged and pleaded until someone at my local pharmacy would sell me a full face mask at no avail. my machine is only set at 9 and has no humidifier. the dry mouth i might be able to deal with but it still hurts my chest to have to push against the machine for more than 5 mins. ive had it for 2 years already and never used it more than an hour tops. i have just about given up on a good nights sleep. noone around me really knows a lot about this problem and just tell me im lazy and dont want to get out of bed. im glad most of you have found solutions to your problem with this. but as for me im still looking for my solution. thanks for letting me vent. by the way its2:40 in the morning and everyone else in this post is asleep.

18. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    no, not everyone. bilyjo ive been there done that, i ended up going thru the surgery too man its the worst pain i have ever been through, BUT it was worth it about 3 months after the surgery i started feeling better n had more energy than i've ever had. but its like catchin a louisville slugger in the mouth! anyway, i have my cpap sittin here doin nuthin its a top of the line with the ramp n humidifier, if you want to try it your welcome to it. just gimmi a holler n we'll work it out.

19. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well my third night with the c-pap was even better than the last. I'm already noticing improved sleep and how I feel in the mornings. Hopefully it will continue to get better for me like the Doc. said. I want to thank all of you who have posted their tips, thoughts and advice about dealing with "sleep apnea". Sweet dreams! LOL!

20. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Tom, thanks for the link. I thought I'd seen some time back a thread on the subject, but I didn't try looking for it. I appreciate it!