I have not yet begun to fight!!!

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by leatherpuke, Oct 11, 2009.

1. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Met up with Jay ( grimpuppy) this morning for a few hours of drifting Milford lake. Jay was nice enough to take me out on his boat and show me a few tricks about late season blue cat fishing. I learned a couple of very important lessons:

1. Outside temperature does not reflect water temperature. It was 34 degrees outside but the water at 20 feet was around 54. I was kinda surprised by that.

2. I need bigger gear. I was fishing with 15 pound braid with 8 pound leaders and I felt seriously outgunned. If I had hooked into a big blue, it would have been a looooong fight to get him to the boat.

3. Bobbers are NOT just for the surface of the water. Jay showed me a technique that I never would have thought of on my own....and it worked.

4. The curse of the front rod holder is still going strong! Those of you who have fished with jay know what I'm talking about. :wink:

5. Milford lake in the middle of an October cold front is absolutely brutal. I need to break out the thermal underwear befor the mini gathering.

And most importantly....

6. BOC is full of good people who are more than willing to teach a catfish noob a thing or two about Kansas catfishing. :big_smile:

Thanks again Jay, hopefully we can do this again at the mini. But I get the front rod holder.:wink:

Oh, and we caught 3 eater size blues and two eater channels. Nothing huge but still alot of fun and educational.

Here's a pic of jay trying to stop shivering long enough to take a pic of his channel.

Attached Files:

2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    good work on the fishing,I would feel undergunned with a 8lb leader too,I caught my PB flathead on 6lb test,2 1/2 hours from hook-up to landing.

anyway good job,hopefully we can get into some good fish at the mini! and hopefully the weather is good! And 34 degrees isn't that cold,just chilly:wink:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good report! Those blustery, cold days often equate to huge fish, especially with the water temp still in at reasonable temperature level. Yes, I agree, the BOC is a GREAT avenue to friends and information!

Bill in SC

4. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Bennett, go to supply and tell them you need a pair of 'Mickey Mouse Boots', they got tire stem valves in the sides. We used them in Korea.
    Nice picture, keep up the good work. The fish looked warm Jay.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Jay looks pretty cold. Atleast he didnt go swimmin.:wink::smile2:
    Thats alot learned in a day. Worth the trip even with out any fish.
    Good job to the both of ya.:cool2:

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  7. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    Now that is a serious love for catfishin! Fish on!

8. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Those are them Jim. Mickey Mouse boots and maybe a pair of cheap electric socks you can fish in a short sleve shirt almost even with a Kansas Wind. Long live 11B20.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Ron, I've found with the MM boots, if you're sitting still, your feet still might sweat some if it's even a little warm (40 or so), they're some really warm foot gear. Absolutely no need for electric, or even wool socks in my opinon based on my experience with them.:smile2:

Forgot to ask, you and the "Little Guy" coming to the gathering:eek:oooh::smile2:, even for a day? Be nice to visit with you two again.:wink:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  10. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My supply NCO is usually too busy stuffing twinkies in her face to actually do her job.:angry:
    I've got a pair of cold weather boots with the gortex inserts that I got issued in Germany that should work just fine. I'll probably test them out at the gathering.

The weather really wasn't THAT cold. I'm sure that if we weren't on a time constraint, Jay and I would have fished for at least a few more hours. It's got to be alot colder than that to make me stop fishing, especially when they're biting.:cool2:

11. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Sounds like you both had a good Day with cool temps and all.
    Thanks also for the tip on the MM boots. Whats the weight on them. I picked up some glacier boots at a little $1.00 surplus a several years back and worm them when I was working in an underground freezer. It ran at a constant -40 F and they were good for a full shift, Even came with screw on spikes. But those bad boys weigh 4-5 lbs a piece w/out the spikes. As time passes they just keep getting heavier and heavier, Maybe I'm just getting older.
    I got some good news yesterday. It looking like I may get to make it to the mini. It would be great to me you all.​

12. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I had a great time fishing with Bennett. We got into a few cats. Enough to make the cold seem not so bad. Wish we would have had a little more time to maybe get on some bigger fish, but that is the way it always works. You know right where you are going to fish when you get there and you know where you should have been fishing when you leave :smile2:. Was a good time and we didn't get skunked. Here is Bennett with his first Milford blue.

Attached Files:

13. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Now that is one seriously sexy dude!!:big_smile:

Anyway, you'll all be happy to know that Bennett finally learned how to throw his cast net today!! Thanks Jim!

Still lots of shad in the shallows around the boat launches. Didn't catch any cats today but did land one nice smallmouth about 2 pounds on live minnows. And Jim showed up and imparted some wisdom on me so it wasn't a wasted day by any means.

Tomorrow is trout fishing with the kids on post and then back to Milford in the afternoon for more shad netting and maybe some fishing.

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    that is one good thing about this bunch some one is always willing to take you under wing and help you the BOC/SOC is better than any book you could ever read:wink:

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Bennet, enjoyed finally get to meet you and Haley, nice little Catfishing partner you have there. She sure grabbed that shad that missed the bucket on the dock and plopped it in there:smile2:.
    I came back out later and fished the South side of School Crk cove, right across from the boat ramp at the point I showed you. Had a little N/E wind coming in, caught 1 Channel (3#) before the breeze died down, never got another bite, that's when I called you.
    Christy and Shawn said they'll be coming out again tomorrow, don't really know where we'll be yet, some place easy to get to the water though, for Shawn.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Fished Saturday afternoon with Chad (kansasoutdoors) and his boy. I managed to lose my 7ft net that I got from Jim and my 5 footer :angry:. There was absolutely no wind out and the fishing was brutal as a result. It has been awhile since we I have gotten skunked like that. His boy did have one good bite, but we didn't get him hooked. Other than that, it ended up being a real nice day. Just wish there would have been some stinking wind!

17. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sir,

I appreciate the opportunity to fish with you. Even more, I appreciate your willingness to help preserve our outdoor tradition by teaching others what you know. When outdoors men and women help others to be successful, it DOES help preserve the tradition. Repeatedly going out on fruitless trips tends to make people shy away from fishing/hunting or any other activity. Truth is, some folks don't have dads to learn from. Bret and I learned quite a bit from you in our short time on the water. I can't wait to try it again someday. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the way of returning the favor. If you have any youth in your family that would like to try a first-class pheasant hunt, let me know. I know you're not particularly interested in walking miles in the cold. I have some small spots that aren't so challenging for the youngsters.

Thank you very much Jay!!!

18. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jay, you should've went down in Curtis Creek, there was A LOT of stinkin wind down there. There must've been a dead skunk down there some where, it's(wind) been reeking with stink for a couple of days now.:roll_eyes::smile2::smile2::smile2: