I have just about had it with blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by FishMan, Mar 30, 2006.

1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Am I really this bad at fishing for big cats ? I started fishing for these big blue fish last year in the spring, well I caught a few small ones and I mean a few, less than 10 and my bigest one was a wopping 7 pounds, LOL. This year I have fished 6 times and caught 0, none, I mean nothing, not even a bite.

Here is my queston, am I the worst fisherperson on the BOC ? A better question is how long will I continue this empty endever. Will Fishman fish forever, trying to catch just one trophy catfishing ? Will Fishman get so mad someday that he sells his boat and moves next door to a pay lake ? Or will I get caught at the site of the fish truck ?

As I look over this post one thing is clear, Fishman has more questions than big fish.

Danny

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Just keep at it Fishman. Someday, maybe this year who knows you will post on here about that big blue. Dont give up!

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    To answer your question, yes, you must be the worst fisherman in the BOC. LOL I did basically the same, fished from April through September, and if I rembember correctly caught less than 4 catfish, the largest around 2 lbs. But in October it changed and I caught several, largest going 23 lbs. I don't think it was anything I was doing wrong (and seriously doubt that it is anything your doing wrong), but every major league player, football, baseball, baketball or catfishing goes through slumps. Your in one now, but you'll work your way out. Just keep fishing.

4. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well the thing that keeps me going is that you never know when that next record fish is going to bite.{proably when i'm not fishing} but you have to keep the faith or then your just wasting your time but then again it's a dang good way to waste it:)

5. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I'm with Jason on this one! You just never know what the next line in the water will bring!

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Hang in there Danny;) ...one of the best times of the year for catching those Blues is very near now....always have my best luck April and May and then October into November. But the worst day of fishin still beats the best day at work:p ...LOL....go gettem Danny!:)

7. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Are you having fun while you fish. If you are chasing trophies and not enjoying the time out with family and friends, then yes you are doing something wrong. If the answer is no, then just wait longer. Thats why they call it fishing. All good things come to those who wait. Best of luck to you .

8. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    somewhat of the same story here
    started catfishing more seriously last spring/summer
    no monsters at all yet
    did tear up the 4-8 pounders but o well still fun

9. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Look on the bright side. Your worst day fishing is probably better than your best day at work as they say or thats why they call it fishing not catching. lol. I felt the way you do last year for me was a very bad year of fishing, but Ive got big hopes for this year and believe I"ll never give up trying.

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    fishman i dont think you are fishing the right area on the water you are fishing. i hear alot of talk about the fish moving up river this time of year but on the lake i been fishing lately the fish have moved down the lake for the most part. these blues in my area seem to move around alot. in jan. and feb. i was catching fish at the head waters of the lake. now the fish are down the lake for some reason but all the bait is up at the head waters. im not the only one see this on my lakes. i hear people complaining about not catching fish all the time but they keep fishing that same spot they caught that big one in. are you fishing the right time of day? here we fish the first couple hours in the morning and that means catching bait in the dark before light. blue bird days are great days to be fishing for blues at least for me. the blues do school up so when you do find them, you will have alot of fun. you just got to find out what works for you but move around. give them 30-45min. and move again. keep doing this and you will find the them. good luck

11. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I understand how you feel , I really do . The biggest fish Ive ever landed was when I was 17 years old..Im 31 now sooo thats a lot of years looking for the next big picture to hang on my wall, But Ive learned that Im fishing to fish and Id still go if I knew that this was going to be a catchless year
    I love this stuff!

12. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hang in there man! Try different things. Where are you fishing at and maybe we can help you! Give us a little info and maybe we can give you some pointers. I hate seein a fellow catter lose interest!

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nonsense I am & allways will be the worst fisherman on the BOC!

I fished for 3 years w/ Flathunter before my 1st Flathead. (Then again he went that long too w/ out one.)

14. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Isn't that why the call it fishing and not catching Hang it there you'll get one

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Keep the faith brother, Persistence will pay off.. Every time I go out, On the way home I always try to think of what I learned that trip. What I could have did different, How can I make a better bait presentation, etc.. I try to do that if I have a good day or not. Also, sometimes if I'm having a slow day, I may take a couple hours and go scouting. Be it walking the bank if I'm bank fishing, or now since I have a boat, cruising new areas looking for drop offs, structure, brush piles, etc.. I'm always on the lookout for new honey holes..... You will be surprised at how much homework can payoff sometimes :)

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for all the post,

I really posted in fun, but it is true. I am having fun trying and won't be giving up but sometimes a guy wonders, I am thinking of trying the dam soon. I'll catchem one day.

Danny

17. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    hang in there and keep fishin. your next bite could be the fish of a life time.

18. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Danny,
    Want to know a secret? None of us are catching anything, We just send pictures of ourselves to DH and he puts the fish in on his computer. Makes us all look like we know what we are doing;)
    Seriously, if you think you are doing it wrong try changing a few things. Try some places you wouldn't normally try, different times, different methods. If you think you are doing it right but it just hasn't clicked for you yet just hang in there. It'll come around...W

19. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Fishman, someone on this site says, "90% of the fish are in 10% of the water." Find the fish, if they are in the mood, you will catch them. Keep moving and looking for the spot and write down what you caught or didn"t catch. weather, time of year, etc. Also, take this with a grain of salt, if you are the worst, I claim 2nd for worst catfisherman. I nearly always get distracted with something else. I just have to feel something pull on my line, so i don't catfish as hard as I should.

Jim

20. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    hey fishman hang in there. i have been after big flats since 1987, with my biggest being 12#er, but i had seen a couple 30#ers pulled out of the area i was fishin. well i moved, to far to go back to this area. well ducain started fishing with me in 04, and fished the hole year without catching one flat. i didnt think he would be back for 05, but he did and we both ended up landing our pb of over 30#ers. we are already after them for 06. good luck.