I have had it....

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by AwShucks, Aug 29, 2007.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I went fishing yesterday with my friend fuzzface. Not a great day, but we did catch 5 fiddlers, which were the first we had caught in about 8 trips since the 4th of July weekend. BUT, we were drifting and I had 20lb test line on my reels. Every time I snagged up, which seemed quite often, I'd pull the boat up to the snag - just could not get the line to break. That made the rest of our lines get all balled up. I got so darn frustrated, I quit fishing. I am now in the process of putting 12 pound test line on my reels. I haven't caught but one fish over 20 pounds in the last 2 1/2 to 3 years. And, I have always maintained that you should be able to land a fish 3 or 4 times the strength of you line. Gonna put my money where my mouth was now and get rid of that 20 pound stuff. Actually, I'll just change out my reels as I have several other 6000's I am not using right now. LOL

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I always broke line with stick,paddle or something.Did not use casting reels.What is "All balled up"?It is not a term that I am familiar with or remember hearing used when fishing.Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I feel for you bro. I did hook into one that recked my reel/line and poll so I took the advice of a friend that has passed on"KING ARTHUR-GO BIG OR STAY HOME" and now I might as well just throw the poll in cause we are not giong down

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Awshucks,Iuse 80lb braid and drift alot so I understand your problem.I used to try and pull back to the snag etc but now I simply wrap the line around my dipnet handle and give a good sharp tug.That does the job 90% of the time without balling up the other lines.:big_smile:

5. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    could you tell me what type of line were you using?

thanks

6. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    That is the reason I like to use 10-15 lb line. I usually don't fish for monster size fish, usually just eating size but I don't have any problems when I get snagged, I'm always able to break the line off.

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    You could also go to the 3 way rig and put your weight on a lighter line than the hook and bait is on that way you only lose the sinker and not everything!

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Balled up is an expression I use when two or more lines get wrapped around each other. If you don't start reeling your other lines in when you get snagged, you are going get those other lines in a big ball. I have a small piece of wood I wrap line around to break it, and if nothing else, I have my plier thing a bobs. I know it will damage the reel spool to pull against the reel. And the label on the line is all messed up. If I get into town and remember it, I'll look and see if I can find what it is. I wish Oklahoma had fish I needed to use 80 pound test on, but about the only thing I can think of that would fight that hard would be a texan with the hook in his backside. LOL Right BUD.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jeremy, it was Stren line. The pea green variety. LOL. It is some darn good line...unfortunately.

10. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I agree with Lawrence, seems all I do is snag up lately and when in the boat it is very hard to break. Maybe I'll try 12 pound test next.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I know your pain reminds of when we used to go deep sea fishing all the time. If you have ever went you know you are suppose to cast out but just let you line down. Boy did this creat a giant head ache. You spent 1/3 of the trip untangling lines. Same thing when i fish the pier and its over crowded and some newbie or someone with poor casting techniques crosses over everyone else. Thank god the last time i went deep sea fishing, my first in years about two weeks ago :roll_eyes: only about 20 people where on the boat so there where no tangled lines.

12. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    THis makes me think of the story i heard on radio recently in kentucky. seems a 12 year old was fishing when his 20 lb. line streightened out he gave a big jerk and the fight was on. soon he noticed the fish was coming toward him. he had trouble keeping up wiith it. sudenly there was a scream that would curdle your blood as this huge black object surfaced. seems a diver had swam into the line and before he could get loose the kid had him right in the jaw. the diver was taken to the hospital and the hook removed and his jaw sewn up. the hook went right in his jaw from the outside in. that was a 180 lb'er on 20 pound line.

13. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Lawrence,

I knew you coudn't resist bringing me into you little problem...lol Gosh buddy I use 20# test big game on my poles and I don't have any problems with mine..Course,,,I do catch fish too....lol Those snags don't fry up to well...

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    We just use different words for the same thing in different places.I thought that was what you meant but was not sure.I have never used a bait caster,but I have seen many people over the years breaking off or pulling the boat with a tight drag and both thumbs on the spool or even wrapping it around the reel a couple of times,I used open and closed face spinners and big Penn reels.With these you always wrapped it around something to pull.60-80 lb.mono was common for bottom fishing due to the Coral reef fishing.It would absorb a lot of nicks and cuts.I have a spare Okuma CD 90 spool filled with 60 lb.Yo-Zuri hybrid for fishing shell.Ain;t got any use for it except for that. Hopefully I will get to use it!I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    scott had a good point with the three way rig. When you do this you save a lot of line, not to mention time and frustation. I usually keep some pre-tied leaders with me so in the case that I do get snagged I simply beak off either the sinker or hook leader and quickly retie.

16. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think this could be a world record!!!!

17. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's funny right there.:smile2:

18. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Bet it was not funny if you were the diver that was hooked! That hurts just thinking about it!

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Tried Scott's suggestion about the 3-way rig. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself. Any rate, just got back from the Lake. We caught 4 blues and I snagged up about 8 to 10 times. Left quite a few sinkers and hooks there, but could break the line. Guess I'll stick with this for a while. LOL

20. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have been thinking of doing the same. I have used this rig few times this year. I actually purchased a big packet of three way swivel last summer and never used them. It was pretty much the Carolina rig for me. There is another post going on where some one suggested using a thin piece of plastic(aquarium tubing) to prevent tangles. The three way rig main downfall. You should look into it.