I have friends here right?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ahquabi_Master, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Well I just got back from a fishing trip and called a bunch of friends up to hang out back home. What do I get? - A bunch of people too busy for me. What do I do in this situation? I want to get out and DO SOMETHING but nobody wants to do anything. I HATE THIS. I have no fishing partners and friends who are too busy for me. I just wish I was back at school where I'm never alone. Gimme some advice yall.

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey buddy the only fishin buddy I had Died 5 years ago so I fly solo now when I want to talk fish I do it here. My advice get new friends if there too busy all the time they aint friends. As for something to do If you want to chew the fat in the chat room Id be more than happy to help

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Patience, it happens sometimes. I called 5 people to go fishing this weekend nobody had the time. So i will wait until they need something from me I won't have time either. My truck is broke down and needed to haul my riding lawn mow back to town. was told wait til next weekend.HA Then he said he still planned on going to National gathering with me. What would you do?

4. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Find a new friend to go with you, or maybe a family member. Sometimes friends find other things that interest them more. If they are excluding you from the activities, then maybe they don't want to be friends. Just keep bust at what you want to do, give it some time, and time will tell. Good luck, and good fishin', Jack. P.S. I used to go fishing solo a lot. I would find the best holes, and only share them with a select one or two.

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    hey man i have the same problem no one wants to fish with me. just go out and fish. im sure youll see someone there and start talking to em it always works for me!

6. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i feel your pain marcus,we moved from south carolin to texas in april,and don't know a soul.the family next door all the dad wants to do is play golf,and said fishing is for people who can't play golf,i told him not to be ashamed that he never had any body to teach him to fish,that he would be in good hands,and he could even wear his ugly golfing pants in the boat,but he didn't think that was funny.so i guess fishing alone is better than me not fishing at all...

crome

7. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I can go alone or I can go with some one it doesn't matter to me, I've always been that way and by doing this I learn not to depend on other people. It seems people will let you down alot, I guess maybe thats why the people I do work and prefer to be around are much older than me. These people were brought up if you tell some one you are going to do something then do it, It's called being a man of your word, something that has become very rare.:confused2:

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    true friends wont abandon you for long, give it some time. Take this time alone and use it to your advantage on catching catfish. Try new techniques such as limb lines, trotlines, chuming....whatever is legal. Experiment with different baits, and rigs, tackle and so on. Learn how to snell your own hooks, throw a cast net, build yourself a bait tank if you havent already. The list goes on. Share all your successes and short comings with us here at the BOC.

9. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Yuen;
    Marcus, today's world is soooo fast that it's hard for most folks to plan anything less than 6 months ahead of time! For me, that is just too daggone busy! :sad2:
    I'm much like Rip/Rory, I can go alone if my favorite partner [my wife:smile2: ] is busy but we usually plan these things together so it's not much of a problem here.
    Go ahead and get out on your own, practice a new casting technique you have been wanting to try. Work on your casting accuracy, try different set-ups that you've not tried before. Use the time to do your own thing in your own time at your own pace!:big_smile:
    I don't know your friends, but maybe you might consider trying to set something up a bit further in advance for a fishing outing?? This is something you are much more qualified to decide than I am.
    As some have suggested, you might need to look for other "Friends", perhaps someone that is a member of the BOC that might live close enough to you that you two could make some fishing plans? Again, this is something for you to decide.
    I agree with Rip/Rory 100% about people being "reliable or trustworthy" nowadays! Seems like the young people today are not being taught the time honored values of "keeping your word", "being truthful, "taking the responsibility consummate with their age!", ect. It's a SAD observation on today's young people! Not all are this way of course, but more and more ... :sad2:
    I guess for now I would advise you to give yourself some room as well as doing the same for your "friends". Try planning something with them a bit further ahead and see what happens. If you do plan something with them, keep reminding them every few days or week, depending on how far ahead you planned.
    I've read some of the other posts and it seems your getting a good variety of advice to choose from so pay attention to that too. :smile2: The suggestions of the other Brothers and Sisters will give you more to consider too.
    Here is hoping that this helps you a little bit. :smile2:
    Cordially and Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I fish alone most of the time. Wolfman is right. Try new stuff and places. I have learned alot by myself. I have started limb lining etc. Their is a advantage to being alone. You only have to untangle your own stuff.
    Bill

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Buddy, I feel your pain. I am out of school 10 years and your buddies just dont have time alot of the time. Busy with work, family, other priorities.

That is why I am on here, the BOC is a family that always has time for ya brother. Just sit back and read and enjoy the madness, hehehe. Great group of guys here brother.

12. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I have made more friends since joining the brotherhood than i have elsewhere in the last 5 years!

Hang in there, buddy. If you have to ask yourself is someone is your friend, chances are you need to keep looking.....

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Got yourself a girlfriend that likes to fish!

14. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Maybe those friends made other plans while you were on your fishing trip; why should they drop what they had planned to do to go hang out with you?

Redefine you idea of a friend/acquaintance. To find a true friend, you have to prove yourself worthy of that friendship - stand up for them, they will stand up for you, listen to what they have to say; it's your choice if you follow their advice or not, don't get mad or hurt feelings if they don't come running every time you call, unless it's an emergency. This will probably piss you off and may even get me on your ignore list, but STOP WHINING! Nobody, even you, likes a whiner.

You will find many friends on the BOC; I hope I might be one of them.

Hope you have a better day.

15. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    As I look at the post today I realize that I was doing a bit of whining and I suppose it just came with a little desperation of not being able to go out on a perfect night. Thanks for putting up with it and showing me that you all care.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey man, I live in Ohio, but if you want to drive over I will hang out with you:lol: Just kidding..I know how you feel, my best friend lives 75 miles from me, so I spend most of my time alone...I have met some great people closer to me and I hope to fish with them this year.

17. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey man I know how you feel. My main fishin buddy just got a job so the only time we can get out fishing is every other fri. & sat. instead of the 3-4x a week we had been. I dont mind fishing by myself. I often spend all night sleepin in my chair on the river but its nice to have some one there to take your pic when you get a nice one.

18. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I always kinda liked going alone, myself. But, everyonce in awhile I like for some people to come along too. If you was in my county, I'd holler at ya to go hit a water hole, though. Didn't read all the posts on here, but I'd be surprised if somebody hasn't already offered. Good luck with them "friends" buddy. Or finding a new fishin' partner, whichever you choose. Tight lines!

-Red

19. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Marcus,
    We have know eachother for a few years now. You are an amazing guy and someone I am glad to call my friend. After graduation I can't tell you how much it meant for you to come to Iowa. Out of all the guys I wanted you to be there the most. You have an unmatched passion for fishing. When I moved to Chicago I lost a lot of "friends" including some of my closest. Times change, as I am sitting here right now I have been dealing with these same issues. People around here are not friendly, no one wants to even make conversation let alone eye contact.
    In all honesty, I wish I could be there for you. I know what it feels like when friends move on, cut you out or simply forget about you! There isn't much that I can do when we are this far apart brother, but know that I am praying for you and miss our fishing adventures.
    We will fish again! Hopefully sooner then later. Just remember in a month you get some great guys back to fish with! I am jealous as all get out!
    Hold your head high, walk proud and don't let the world get you down!!!

Miss ya brother!

20. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Marcus the good thing about fishin alone is noone knows what happens unless you tell them LOL But realy when you are out there by yourself that is the best time to look at the world around you and enjoy nature