I Have Been Cursed With The Legendary Nightmare!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Dec 18, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As most of you know, I am a stay at home dad in the winter months. I get very bored and thats my reason for all the threads. I need to talk about cattin, and enjoy reading in my spare time... However, I had an honest experience today that now has freaked me out! I was reviewing some member archives when I came across a very good one from two well- known members, H2O Mellon and Flathunter... This was before I joined the BOC, but I think it cursed me now! I will tell ya what happened after you read this for yourself..... rollo

H2O Mellon
    04-15-2006, 09:23 PM
    It's been a popular request to describe this weekend's fishing trip, I will try so here goes:

4/13/06

It all started around 4:05 PM. This day will go down as a dark date in the Flathunter & H2O Mellon fishing logs. I was cruising down Ohio State Route 35 at somewhere around 75mph, hoping to get to Flathunter’s house on time, or even better: EARLY! I all the 4 years we’ve been fishing together, I don’t think I’ve ever once arrived early. As I get with 35 miles of his house I get this crazed thought: “Let’s take to new jon boat out”. You see Flathunter spent $1200 on a 14 foot jon boat and accessories, in order for us to fish this one spot on the river. We simply call this spot “The Other Side”. As it is with fishing it’s always better “on the other side”. I arrived at Flathunter’s house at 5:50 PM, 10 minutes early. This should have been seen as a hint of the bad night that was about to take place. The moon phase was out of whack, the ocean temperatures rose 20 degrees, the devil just bought a winter jacket, pigs were flying, you get the picture…. As I get to Flathunter’s house, we talk about the upcoming evening of fishing. I simply say “You know it’s a nice night”. Poor Flathunter did not understand what I was trying to say, so I say again “You know it’s a REAL nice night out”. Still Flathunter did not get what I was saying, so finally I just came out and said it; “Let’s take the boat to the death drop” The stunned look on Flathunter’s face said it all: “WHAT? NOW? WHY?, well okay, because I was thinking about it too.” I was thinking, “Ahhh great minds think alike”-(not even close, we both are morons, keep reading) We load the 14 foot boat, 50# thrust trolling motor, 75# deep cycle marine battery, 50# of rod holders, 2 full size chairs, 30# of sinkers, hooks & other terminal tackle, fresh cut bait, live bait, etc….We load all of this (including the 14 foot boat) into Flathunter’s 6 foot truck bed on his Ford Ranger. Yes I am sure it was a sight to be seen. When we reached our destination, we pulled the boat off, loaded all of our things into it and tried to pick it up. Yea…. Like that was going to happen. It would have taken the whole entire Cincinnati Bengals offensive and defensive line to pick that up and carry it the ¼ mile we had to carry it. Rather than listen to reason and just go bank fish one of our easy to get to spots, we decide to drag the boat the ¼ mile away and make a couple trips for everything else. We tied a rope to the boat and dragged it though the gravel, grass, weeds and thorn bushes. Flathunter worked his rear off as he pulled the boat to the spot, to the spot we call “The Death Drop”. The spot is named from the 10 foot drop off that one must go down to reach the bottom. Keep in mind that we normally don’t even fish this spot because it’s so hard to get to, let alone LAUNCH A BOAT FROM IT. As Flathunter hauled the boat I carried the two chairs, terminal tackle (two bags, probably weighing a combined 30#) and bait. Even the weighed from those things were choking me. It was no cakewalk for me, let alone poor Flathunter. We still had a couple more loads of things to get. On the second load, I grabbed the trolling motor and battery if I recall, while Flathunter carried the fishing poles and something else. Man, that battery was heavy! I took several stops. I even think Flathunter took the battery or the motor for the final leg of the hike. I would say it only took us 45 minutes to get everything to the launching spot. We carried or tossed the items down the Death Drop, then even pushed the boat down it as well. After a few minutes of organizing things we were in the water and on our way to our fishing spot. We were excited because there were fish jumping all over the place, we even saw a Spoonbill jump. (This is about as rare a feat as you can find.) We set up camp and were fishing in no time. I say “fishing” because we were sure as heck not “catching”. We tried everything we could, but could not manage much action. Flathunter had more hits that I did, but the fish just were not interested in taking the baits. I did manage a 16# Flathead around dark. Little did we know that this would be the ONLY fish of the night. We fished deep water, shallow water, close, far, you name it we tried it. As the night went along, we both became disgusted because we knew what would be in store soon: We had to make the trip back! The boat ride back to the “Death Drop” was a slow one filled with the dreadful thoughts of the pure hell that we knew was in store for us on the way out. Getting the boat up the “Death Drop” was extremely difficult. We had to take things as inch at a time, literally an inch at a time. Things were so bad, that Flathunter even thought about putting the motor & battery in the boat and sinking it. We figured we’d give the river a nice artificial reef of sorts, but after some rational thinking we decided against it. We finally got the boat up the “Death Drop”. This task took approximately 30 minutes. We were happy to accomplish the task of getting up the Death Drop, but little did we know what was in store for us now. It took a few minutes to get things sorted out, but once we did, we figured that we put everything in the boat and pull together to get through the ¼ that we had to go. BAD IDEA. Both of us together could not budge the boat. We moved it exactly ZERO inches. The 300# boat felt like 2000# partially all of our gear was in it and partially because we were so drained of our energy. We decided to unload the boat and take it back the same way we brought it in. It was bad enough that it took three trips to get everything to the spot to begin with, but what took us 3 trips to get in took about 6 to get out. It took us about an hour and half to drag, carry & scoot the boat to the truck. Neither of us had an once of energy remaining when we were done. We were totally spent. The boat and trolling motor battery were the worse things to bring out. We each were hoping that we’d see someone else in the area, because we would have paid them $100 for their help, but we knew no one else would be around because Flathunter is the only one with fishing access to this area. We knew we were basically stuck. The only way this could have been worse is if it was July and 90 degrees out. I can honestly say that I doubt we would have made it back if it would have been that hot. The cool air (60 degrees) helped by not allowing us to get heat strokes. On the way back were talking about how this was the worse trip ever. We agreed that we would not have done that again for anything under a sate record Flathead, not a 50#, 60#, 70# Flathead, only a state record fish would have made the trip worth the while.

4/14/06

Flathunter called my dad’s cabin to set up today’s fishing trip. My dad said that Flathunter complained of back, leg and rib pain. My dad had heard the story of the night before from me, but now after speaking to Flathunter I think he was convinced how bad it really was. We decided to try the river again, but this time NO BOAT! We wanted some easy, relaxing bank fishing. We got to our spot called “The Rock Cliff”. The name pretty much speaks for itself. It’s a rock ledge lined with razor sharp rocks. We each say that one day we are going to fall and get hurt on some of these rocks. Well we set up only to find out that the current was laughing at 8oz no roll sinkers. We figured we’d be in for a bad night, we were CORRECT! After a few minutes of figuring out the current and best set ups, the sky opened up. Severe lightning was all around us. It was like this storm came from nowhere. We decided to pack everything in. I can say that I was worried about making it back to my Jeep. We needed to go about 400 yards or so. Luckily we safely made it back. Flathunter went home, which was about 5 minutes away. I had about a 45minute drive to my dad’s cabin which was a little east from where we were. I got 5 minutes up the road and it hit me that I needed to buy my wife something for Easter, so I made a quick stop at the store. I soon noticed that the sky was clearing up and the rain had stopped. I called Flathunter and we decided to go back out since I was still in town. BIG MISTAKE…. We went back to the same spot and fished for an hour or so. The skies opened up again, this time the lightning was even more severe. The lighting was so severe that it lit up the entire sky. It was very scary. Again we had to gather up out stuff and make it to our vehicles. Again, I guess by the grace of God we made it. As I was loading every thing up I realized we left one of my rod holders at the spot. I would have left it, if it would have been my chair, my tackle or even a rod, but I could not leave the rod holder. Anyone that knows me, knows I cherish these rod holders. We quickly went after the rod holder. (Yes, Flathunter being the good friend that he is, went with me) We had lightning strike near the fields that we were in. The crack of that lightning during it hit whatever it hit was deafening. It sent goose bumps up our spines. The good news is that we did make it back. As I was driving to the cabin, I heard on the radio we were under a tornado watch. I absolutely have a fear, a phobia I guess of tornados. I would rather pick up a snake that be in fear of a twister, and believe me I am terrified of snakes! During the whole drive back I was wondering what would be a mile down the road or above the next turn and so forth. The weather at my dad’s cabin was almost as bad. We had no working television or radio and nowhere to take cover if need be. Our cabin is basically a shack. My wife and I stayed up until the storms passed, which was 4 AM or so.

4/15/06

Today it was me that made the call to Flathunter. I knew that we had to make the best of the available time that we had. We decided to really take things easy and fish a lake. We rarely fish a lake and would much rather prefer to fish a river. Lake fishing just isn’t much fun to either of us, even if we are catching fish. I can’t really explain it, but the difference is there. After a slow start about 30 minutes into fishing the lake (Lake Logan in Southern Ohio) I had a hit. It ended up being a FAT 5 ½ # channel. I’ve never seen such a FAT belly on a small fish. The picture does not do the fish justice. Flathunter is really steaming now because he has been fishless the whole weekend! A few minutes goes by as Flathunter is taking care of some “personal business” and his rod darn near goes flying out of the rod holder. I grab it and it’s FISHON! I hand the rod to Flathunter and he proceeds to land a whopping 1-2# channel cat. The funny thing is that this same situation occurred last year: Flathunter went away from his rods at the same location and had a fish darn near take his rod in then too. Again, I was there that time too, to make sure the rod was secure. We had just caught more fish from dreadful Lake Logan that we the previous two nights on the river, so what do we do? We decide that this is boring and head off for the river! I got scared because Flathunter wanted to try a “New Spot” out. We were not sure if it was possible to bank fish this new spot because it was ½ mile away from the nearest parking location. Flathunter guaranteed that we would catch fish, well as you could guess we got skunked! We did not even have a spot to fish. We tried fishing from a small cliff, but were unable to really reach any fishable water. After a few minutes, we had to walk back through ½ mile of woods. During the walk back we decided to call it a weekend.

Oh by the way it is now 9:30 PM and just a few moments ago I got a call from Flathunter, we both decided that sometime in May we are going back to “The Other Side” with the boat. Yes we are nuts!

Totals During the Weekend That We Have Nicknamed “The Nightmare”:

H2O Mellon
    1 Channel 5.5#, 1 Flathead 16#

Flathunter
    1 Channel 1-2#

The Winner; H2O Mellon? Heck no, we both lost this weekend, I am just happy to say that I survived “The Nightmare on Eastern Avenue”.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I read this earlier today, and had plans on going to catch some more freezer bait, and some crappies after the wife got home from work. Well I made it out alittle after 4 today. Headed down the road with the neighbor to realize we left the wax worms at home.. No problem, went back 5 minutes and got them. We drove to our destination. I was the first to open the door, and upon stepping out hit a wet/slick spot and ended up on my back!!!! It knocked the wind out of me immediately! I managed to get everything together and we went down the bank to a place that "ALWAYS" produces! I Mean Always!! Gills, crappies, or sumpthin!! NADA!!!! No bites, nothing on the ice-jigs I fish under a slip-float... Nothing! Well, its getting dusk, and it ain't gonna make for a good outting this evening so we head home. I was riding with him and the stuff is in back of his truck. Well, we pull into his heated garage get out, only to see his wife that has been working to pull in behind us. I move aside, and she puts her car in park... She then shuts the garage door... Little did any of us realize that my pole was hanging out the back of the truck too far still. As the door was let down, the rod sprung in between the gaps of the sections, ripping it out of the truck and breaking it in two!! What an evening! I need to find out what kind of potion is gonna be needed to rid this spell from this..... Mellon, Flathunter, please help a brother out here... Oh, by the way... maybe you all shouldn't have read the thread until we find out if this was a coincedence, or really a curse!!! ???? LOL.... rollo

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    lol,all i can say is "determination"

nice dig up rollo

sorry rollo,hopefully you are the only "cursed"

4. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I might be mistakin but didnt I read somewhere that Flathunter thought he seen a bigfoot or something at that spot they call "Death Drop" ? I might be crazy but i thought i read about that!:eek:oooh:

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    brother,he looked in a mirror.

look at his signature,it says "i am bigfoot",lol least i am sure it did,anyway,lol

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bad luck or not, them's 2 tough hombres. Heck i fish cause i enjoy it, not some sort of self torture test. No wonder Jack has back problems. I do have a tip for bank fishermen. Buy a plastic snow sled to drag your gear. We use them to drag deer and it works.I sincerely hope reading this don't render any of that bad mojo on me. Hell i got bad enuff luck as it is.:eek:oooh:

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I remember that weekend well, and it was pure hell...If I had to do it over I would have sunk my new jon boat and left it there!

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I always heard some of those Ohio boys was Bullheaded.This just proves it. That is either determination or just plain stubburn.Either way some great stories.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just got a pm from Mellon, he wants to bank fish with me more this year...We only fished together a couple times last year...I had a pretty good year.

But now I am in fear the the curse will arise from the dead!:big_smile:

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man that brought back some memories. Looking back on that night (whole weekend really) I'm glad we did it. I will never forget those memories. They will last my entire lifetime!

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    lol,good luck with that.maybe you should go to his neck of the woods...

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That sums up alot of Bryans and my trips of the past, self torture!!!:big_smile:

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Rollo Id give ya a hug but people would talk(LOL) dang bro your having some luck and here I thought ya was gonna tell us you ran out of the liquid refreshments(LOL)

14. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT New Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    Self Torture Dont You Just Love It.Similar thing happened to me and my cousin.He wanted to go to the river so we packed up the boat in back of my truck and headed out.We get close to the bridge and get the boat out and head around the guardrail then down a path leading to the river.Then we had to drag the boat down a steep incline.Finally we get to the water both about wore out before we started.Went down stream aways and set up in a bend.We started fishing and he caught six nice channels and after awhile i finally caught one.We pull the boat up to the bank and he says theres a lane right up here and we can get the boat its easyand go get the truck .So i walked up the lane headed to the highway and the owner felled a tree right across the lane so no picking it up.So i walked about a mile to get the truck already wore out.Then i walked about half a mile from the road back to the boat and told him about the tree.He said your bullshootin me.I think we stopped about 20 times till we got back to the truck.All for 1 catfish.Needless to say i slept good that night.Surprised i didnt collapse from exhaustion!!!

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What a night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy:

16. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I really don't understand. All these stories sound like every trip I've ever took, just ask my brother or son ,anybody thats ever fished with me. Probably if everything ever went as planned I'd never remember the trip..

17. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    i think if everything went as planned,it wouldn't be a fun trip anyway.

sometimes those unexpected little thinks that make a trip go crazy can end up putting you on some fish,well,except for those two,anyway,lol

18. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeah it seems like ya always leave something back at the house! Like the net, or a raincoat!

19. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Great storry, I can relate. I got that same love for river fishing. My buddies and I have got ourselves into some awfull messes as well going tosome of our spots.